Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
zeroman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Back on the BB bandwagon; OS update question

Please Login to Remove!

So I'm back in a BB 8520 from Rogers Wireless, after a long time with out a BB. I just ordered the phone and it should be here the coming week. I haven't read up or cared much for Blackberry's in a year or so as I was kinda avoiding having to pay the bill to use one. After realizing my current bill was around $60 a month already, I could hop on a student plan with Rogers and have a Blackberry 8520 for $40 a month, cheaper and what I want.

So my question is regarding updating the OS, I'm going to assume the OS from Rogers is going to be the 4.6, 4.6 was the 'new' OS version when I was using blackberry's back when. The first thread I see in this forum today was regarding the fact you can't update with out a data plan. Now with my plan from Rogers, its a 'social' plan and bbm is included with all the social websites such as Facebook. This is considered a data plan, correct? Which means I wouldn't have an issue updating to OS 5 if should chose to, which I will.

Other than that really, I will be searching for all the other cool stuff I can do with the newer blackberrys, the last bb I had was a 8800.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Back on the BB bandwagon; OS update question

A social data plan gives you just that. It is not a full blown BB data plan which you would most likely need to do the update, for email, the BB Browser, maps and other RIM related services. I can't say for sure if it would fit the bill to allow you to do an OS update or not. Perhaps someone from Rogers will help you out there.

It ships with 4.6 and the latest update is 5.0. Make sure you check the 8500 section or use the SEARCH feature to get info regarding the upgrades and the problems others have.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
zeroman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Re: Back on the BB bandwagon; OS update question

Thanks, I'll read up on how the update process works. From what I remember it was just done through the desktop manager and you just download the OS version and language pack that corresponds, then you'd have to delete a vendor.xml or something along those lines.

Regardless, thanks I'll be posting again when I receive my device.
Closed Thread