Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
bilbo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Am I missing something here?

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks first to all those who write themes for our Blackberry phones (I can't do it...)

But am I missing something here when I observe that so many links and threads to new themes are in fact, so many times, just a new background with stock icons?

To me, new themes should be different. Different layouts, different graphics for the icons.

Not the OS6 usual icons, or the new OS7 icons. These I assume, require no work by a theme developer. They are already there for all to use.

For me, what makes me want to get a new theme is when it is really different from all those that are churned out with just a pretty new picture set for the backgrounds...

Discuss.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Am I missing something here?

If you want all that in a new theme, just make one yourself to your liking. "Problem" solved.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

There's really not anything to discuss. That is life. It is the way things are in natural systems. From beer to the guys and gals who maintain the traffic lights in your town, the top 20% is exceptional, and the bottom 80% is not, and ranges mostly average and poor. Thank goodness average is good enough most of the time, except when it comes to beer, and I guess themes.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-17-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
jellomushroom

Model: 8350i
Carrier: nextel

Missing? yeah a few things, the fact that it would take more time to create a new icon than to create a new theme. Icons have some serious detail to them
Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I use different icon sets in my theme, depending on what the focus is going to be.

I'll admit that a cool background and the same icon set does not a theme make, but for most users they just want to switch it up. There are themes where the layout of the screen or icons included are very different from stock themes.

You just have to know where to get them, or like Motorcycle Mama posted, make one yourself. Themes are pretty basic, or they can be as complicated as you want.

The only exception right now are Themes for OS 7.x.x.xxx devices that require a few extra steps and require a more in depth knowledge of Themes.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
DanielDegnan

Model: 8520
Carrier: AT&T

Well I would agree you sometimes it looks like the theme was developed only to advertise the links. With an apology to theme developers, most of the themes look very stupid.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
bilbo

Sorry if I tread on any toes for anyone reading this - it wasn't meant as that, but just to say that when the same 6 icons appear across the bottom of your BB, with a different set of photos when you use the various selections, then to all intents and purposes, they are just photo's on your screen for a couple of quid.

I buy a few themes for myself which are clearly different - examples include "Stark, and Outback, etc" by Berrylab, or like my most recent purchase Magmic's "Dark Matter". These have great home screens with different icons that look fantastic.

That's all I was pointing out.

I'm not articulate enough to make my own or I would..

Thanks for reading and your thoughts folks.

Bilbo.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I used to have some very nice themes on my 9780. I understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't want to drop a couple of bucks on a theme that had the same layout with the same icons bundled with a different background.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
federgejzla

Model: 9860
Carrier: Rogers

Well, I don't know what to say about the layout, but think of which apps would a theme developer want to create icons for? Exactly those apps that you have or all of them (tonnes)? Icons come with the apps and are, in some cases, controlled dynamically by apps (e.g. weather app showing the weather in its icon). A theme can't do that.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I believe the OP is talking about the stock apps.

To the OP, I don't think any toes were stepped on, and I understood what you are saying. The answer, or solution, however, is don't buy themes that aren't worth the money to you. That is how you do your part to raise the bar. As I was saying, the bottom 80% is going to range from average to crap. Spend your money on the top 20% and help raise the average.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
bilbo

I have just upgraded to the 9900 and of course until the release of the new Theme Studio, themes are not gonna make much of an appearance.

The stock icons are OK, but nothing special, though easy to read and are functional.

But I have found some clean, HD, smart and colour icons courtesy of MMMOOO with their "3D Icons - Hard Candy Blue" theme.

A good start - and hopefully things will get even better when the theme builder becomes available to you (cleverer than I am) designers.

Here is the theme on >> APP WORLD << for those who want it, and it costs just £1.

Bilbo.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
aliahmedshaikh

Model: 9700
Carrier: engineering

But how can download this theme in my mobile me blackberryforums.com
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread