Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
kennyworld

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: docomo
Default bold can't use GPS

Please Login to Remove!

hi,thanks if u can help me.
i got my bold 9000 with no data plan.the carrier is docomo in japan.

I can't refresh the location in adavance optionxxx8594;gps.it always shows
Latitude: N 0 0.00'
Longitude: W 0 0.00'
Fix Time: None
Number of Satellites: 0
Accuracy: 0.0 m

(location is on and device gps)
When I refresh GPS it goes to Scanning for Satellites..... several minuets later I get a message that says GPS Location Update Failed!

I search the forum for the issues of gps.and lots of people say that gps is NOT locked.
but how can i make it works?

i tried google maps and it works fine through wifi except finding the postion where now i am.
and i also tried amAze(v5.0), but it always says communication problems when i start it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

To get a GPS signal, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky. It can take 20 minutes or more for it to lock on so be patient. You also need to have location services set to "on", which you said is set that way.

With no data plan, the device cannot download the GPS ephemeris tables which tell it which satellites are where. It also helps to know approximately where you are on either BBMaps or Google Maps to make a lock on quicker. Google maps should be able to use cell tower triangulation to locate you within a mile or so.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
F5fstop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

My BB locks on in a minute or two, inside a ranch style house with no problems.

Also, ephemeris data is transmitted by each satellite, and is not dependent upon being hooked up to a phone company, as long as the GPS in the phone is programmed to allow GPS. It is not transmitted by the phone company since it is satellite dependent. In other words, it is transmitted by GPS satellites.

When the phone's GPS is activated, the GPS chip will receive Almanac information which is sent by all the satellites and gives a rough idea where all the sats are located. This information is valid for a few months.

Next the GPS receiver will receive the ephemeis data from the sats it has locked onto. This data is very precise with actual orbit and clock data from each satellite. In other words, the ephemeris data for a particular sat is sent only from that particular sat. Ephemeris data is valid for only 30 minutes.

That's why there is a warm and a cold turn on for GPS devices. Cold (longer boot up) meaning ephemeris data outdated, warm (faster boot up) meaning ephemeris data is still current.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Thanks for the info. I was told there had to be a data plan in place for the almanac data, but what you are saying makes more sense.

Was also told the download is for a 7 day period. Perhaps that is for aviation and military systems only.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

If you have a data plan and service, GSM based Blackberries will download almanac/ephemeris data to reduce the cold start time. With out that, it has to wait to get the data from the sat. Like all GPS devices, with a cold start the better view you have of the sky, the shorter the time to first fix is, especially with a cold start.

Dubdub's advice is still good, if you can't get a lock, take it outside to a place with a good view of the sky. Have a latte, or a smoke and give the chip time to do the work.