BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Exchange Email on your BB - no BES needed.

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, I cannot afford to add the BES to my exchange server yet, but I do have admin rights to the box, so I figured that I could find a temporary solution.

Requirements:
1. An understanding of Exchange - I am not in front of my server, so I cannot tell you step by step instructions - this will be vague.

2. Admin rights to exchange, or an "in" with your Exchange admin

3. You need to know your BlackBerry WebMail address.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why this is nice.

You can always open pop access to the mail server and add it as an account on the BB Webclient - but it will not be instant - the POP account are all polled accounts, the Webmail address is instant, no delay.

HOWEVER - there is no syncronization with exchange at all, just a generic forward of all the mail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. From the ADUC console create a new "Contact"
2. Set it up with the external address you want to forward your mail to (your BB address)
3. On the exchange features page of the User properties setup forwarding to send a copy of all messages to the contact. (There are 3 buttons on that page, it is in one of the button sub-menu's)

I hope this helps someone.

Contacts do not take up a license on the Exchange server, there is no additional licensing required for this type of mail delivery, and only lacks the contact/calendar integration with exchange - you can still sync with Outlook as usual though.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help making this work, as well as if you would like me to help your exchange admin make this work.

Last edited by cyberhh; 05-12-2005 at 12:00 PM..
Old 05-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

This has been posted before... You might want to mention that there is no synchronization whatsoever. Wouldn't the desktop redirector on a workstation be a bit better way, especially since you then won't be plain texting any emails from you site to BWC?

cd.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

This does not require a machine to be left on to work.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
corey@12mile

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Well... I have setup a few handhelds the way you have mentioned, but it's about the least desirable way of doing it. I would much rather leave a machine on at work and get true sync... but that's just my humble opinion...

cd.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

After using the redirector at work and at home with my own Exchange server, I have to say it's the best non-BES solution by far. You don't have to worry about polling and the e-mail sent from the handheld will be placed in the Sent Items folder. I sync at both places and send mail through both systems and it works great. Considering the cost of BES, If I didn't have a computer just for running the redirector, I'd buy a cheap one just for that one purpose.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

To note, this is the solution we use instead of Redirector (which gives us never ending migranes). Yes it doesnt give you sync, but it works 100% of the time, which is a lot more than can be said for redirector AND it doesnt require you to have your work pc on all the time. Win-win really.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Russianblue

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default follow up - No BES needed

I've spent 5 hours plus browsing this forum. If you guys could help clear up a few things for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have essentially set up my 3 BB users on a SBS2k3 box the same way mentioned here (email redirected from Exchange to the BB webclient address), but I am confused on a few issues. I'll keep it simple at this point with a short series of questions.

1. T or F - the desktop manager (intellisync) does not allow WIRED sync'ing of email messages between the Exchange Account and the BB.

NOTE: is there anyway to WIRE-sync email messages (inbox only) with the BB without 3rd party software or BES?

2. T or F - If question 1 is TRUE, then I do not need to install the redirector at all, just a waste of resources since I am redirecting from the Exchange box.

3. When referring to the Work PC being on all the time, are we talking about being simply "powered on" or also "logged in" to the domain? In other words, does the Redirector work as a service on the machine that remains active when the user logs off?

Thanks!

RB
Old 06-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
ck99a
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianblue
I've spent 5 hours plus browsing this forum. If you guys could help clear up a few things for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have essentially set up my 3 BB users on a SBS2k3 box the same way mentioned here (email redirected from Exchange to the BB webclient address), but I am confused on a few issues. I'll keep it simple at this point with a short series of questions.

1. T or F - the desktop manager (intellisync) does not allow WIRED sync'ing of email messages between the Exchange Account and the BB.

NOTE: is there anyway to WIRE-sync email messages (inbox only) with the BB without 3rd party software or BES?

2. T or F - If question 1 is TRUE, then I do not need to install the redirector at all, just a waste of resources since I am redirecting from the Exchange box.

3. When referring to the Work PC being on all the time, are we talking about being simply "powered on" or also "logged in" to the domain? In other words, does the Redirector work as a service on the machine that remains active when the user logs off?

Thanks!

RB
1) Intelisync DOES sync email messages when you connect your blackberry to the computer over the USB connection. At least, it does with the latest version 4. Double click on Intelisync, and make sure the very first option is checked "reconcile email". Then click on Configure Email in the configuration area at the bottom of that same screen.

2) 1 wasn't true

3) The user MUST be logged in, and the desktop redirector running at all times. The latest software does not require outlook to be running at the same time. However, if outlook is running, it will process junk email filters and any custom rules setup before forwarding messages to the blackberry.

I have personally tried both the method mentioned here and desktop redirector. I find the desktop redirector wins hands down. It's instant, my custom rules are processed, and all messages I send are saved to my sent folder.

- CK
Old 06-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
mcrendog

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT+T

I am another frustrated Blackberry newbie. We do not have a BES or an Exchange server. Am I SOL as far as getting email forwarded? We cannot use the standard blackberry sync method because our email server does not allow access from outside domains. I am just trying to get ANY way to get email to my handheld.

So does the Desktop Rediector require an exchange server? I have tried using it but I keep getting errors and the program quits on me.

Are there any other ways I can get email on this thing?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
NetGuyR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: ATT

I used this before, but its horrible that it doesnt sync. That was the show stopper for me.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
idguy

Model: 7100t

I'm not a technical person but I am curious, why can't BBs sync email? I've looked around these forums but haven't seen any posts on this.

It seems that RIM is somewhat selective as to which tools they give developers. Are they trying to preserve the market for BES? Or is there something about desktop email clients that makes it hard to sync with them?

I meant, why can't BB desktop/intellisync sync emails when connected to a computer. I realize BES does it.

Last edited by idguy; 06-15-2005 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Oops
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
ben.forrest

Model: 7730

A new user myself to BB, starting to wish I'd done this digging before. I cannot find a solution to sync by Inbox onto my Blackberry (e.g. ability to read emails that have been delivered to my desktop are synced with my BB and read at a convenient time.)

The reconcile checkbox seems to do nothing. Have tried all sorts of combinations of "Folder Content Sync".

Is there a 3rd party app that provides an email client that can sync via USB and OTA? or a tweat to director / intellisync to do this?

all advice appreciated
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
Asmo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrendog
I am another frustrated Blackberry newbie. We do not have a BES or an Exchange server. Am I SOL as far as getting email forwarded? We cannot use the standard blackberry sync method because our email server does not allow access from outside domains. I am just trying to get ANY way to get email to my handheld.

So does the Desktop Rediector require an exchange server? I have tried using it but I keep getting errors and the program quits on me.

What are you running for a e-mail server?

There are lots of ways of doing this, all you have to do is simply forward a copy to your BWC address.

I have done this with linux servers, and exchange is easy enough. Are you the admin of your mail server?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #14
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrendog

If you do not have BES or Exchange, you need to run the Desktop redirector or use the Blackberry Web Client.

The Desktop Redirector is a program that runs on your pc, and when an email arrives in your email client program (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc), it passes it to the Desktop redirector, which then sends it on to your Blackberry. The major downside to this, is that you need to have your PC on and you need to be logged into it in order for your BB to work.

The Blackberry Web Client (BWC or Blackberry Internet Service -BIS) is simply a web site that you go to and register an email address to, and the email then gets forwarded to your BB. See http://blackberry.net/support/client/index.shtml Disadvantages to this is that you are limited to a 10MB mailbox.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Setup a gmail account as your primary email account and then forward a copy of all emails that arrive at gmail to your BB address.

Shad

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Old 12-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #16
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Or, you just forward a copy of your POP3 email to your BB addy from your Mail Server without any additional set-up in the BB and delivery is instant too. You do end up with your mail in both your BB handheld and Outlook, and no-sync. Call me crazy, I like it that way;)

With the WebClient, it only polls every 15 minutes or so, which means a delay in messages.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #17
tcat7130

Model: 7130e
Default important note on the redirector

My understanding (and one major downfall) of the desktop redirector is that you cannot open attachments with the redirector. That is why I currently use the web client. The major downfall of the web client is that when I delete e-mails from my handheld, they are not deleted from my exchange account. Does anyone know a way around either of these issues? Verizon is my carrier, and I have Exchange 2003.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
np_networker

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT soon to change Suncom
Cool Don't Want To Pay For Wireless Services

I have the same problem as RussianBlue and I think y'all missed his point... sure there are many ways to redirect/forward emails out onto the Net to get the Emails onto the Blackberry WIRELESSLY... but the whole point of wanting to sync the emails with a WIRE is so that you dont have to pay $40/month for wireless data services. So I believe RussianBlue is after the same thing I am which is to use the Blackberry like a Palm in that you only sync everything via a wired connection for FREE! So the question is... can it be done and how? Blackberry support tells me no, but I could swear I used to be able to do this on an older version of desktop manager.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #19
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by np_networker
I have the same problem as RussianBlue and I think y'all missed his point... sure there are many ways to redirect/forward emails out onto the Net to get the Emails onto the Blackberry WIRELESSLY... but the whole point of wanting to sync the emails with a WIRE is so that you dont have to pay $40/month for wireless data services. So I believe RussianBlue is after the same thing I am which is to use the Blackberry like a Palm in that you only sync everything via a wired connection for FREE! So the question is... can it be done and how? Blackberry support tells me no, but I could swear I used to be able to do this on an older version of desktop manager.
Well, maybe we missed his point, but you missed the whole point of a Blackberry! No, you cannot do that. The whole point of Blackberry is over-the-air push email. If you don't want to pay for data service, and just occasionally sync your email when you're sitting at your computer (where you can read the email already) you're really better off getting a cheap Palm, you're looking for a simple PDA, not a Blackberry.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
np_networker

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT soon to change Suncom
Default Miising the Point

C'mon man do you honestly think people dont know what Blackberries name to fame is from? Please!.. The Blackberry user interface is in my oppinion far superior to any other device. Thus the reason why many of my customers want to use the Blackberry without paying for the wireless data service... not everyone needs to be connected to their email wirelessly, but everyone does need a device that is easy to use, has a keyboard, and has the ability to sync with Outlook. And the Palm and Pocket PC just dont fit that bill. And it doesnt fit RIM's business model to allow people to sync their BB's via WIRED, so I am sure thats why they dont let you do it. So stop with the smartalic remarks and just accept that you missed the point of the original question and are again missing the point of this forum, which is to help one another not start an argument.
Closed Thread