BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default New Blackberry - Personal or Enterprise?

Please Login to Remove!

I am in the market for a BlackBerry 7750 from Verizon. The Verizon reps at the store don't seem to know very much about it, so BlackBerryClub was my next stop for answers.

I was wondering what the difference was between a BlackBerry being Personal or Enterprise? I want to purchase the BlackBerry to use with my e-mail at work, as well as my personal e-mail. My work e-mail uses Exchange 2003, and is not behind a firewall (easily accessible from the Internet), and my personal e-mail uses standard POP3.

Should I choose Personal then, or enterprise, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of either?

Thanks in advance!

Jesse
Old 09-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

You would have to choose personal, eventhough that really doenst make much of a difference. Since you guys have exchange 2003, you can then link the exchange account with you BlackBerry. I would recommend that you choose personal however, as it will give you a BWC account... unless Verizon charges extra for BWC??
Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
You would have to choose personal, eventhough that really doenst make much of a difference. Since you guys have exchange 2003, you can then link the exchange account with you BlackBerry. I would recommend that you choose personal however, as it will give you a BWC account... unless Verizon charges extra for BWC??
Thanks for your advice! What is BWC?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Thanks for your advice! What is BWC?
Blackberry web client

Its where you gather your email from, etc.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

The difference is if you want BWC - Blackberry Web Client or if you will be using a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) to get your email.

Without a BES server you can still get your exchange email through the desktop redirector, so that is not much of an issue (although some of the more afvanced features are available only with a BES server).
Old 09-26-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
BlackBerryTech

Purchasing the personal version of a BlackBerry device from a carrier gives you a BWC account which can be used for "personal" email. By default a BlackBerry device can be added to both a BES server and a BWC account at the same time, as such it would be possible to add a "personal" device to the BES after the fact and recieve email from both.

The device actually has the intelligence to remember which account you sent from on a per contact basis. So for example, if you send a message to mom from your BWC account, the next time you send her an email, it would automagically send it from the BWC account again. Likewise a message sent to a co-worker would be sent via your internal corporate account via the BES.

Messages will be recieved from both services without any user intervention based on the presence of different service books for each of the respective services (BES and BWC)
Closed Thread