Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Storm versus iphone 3G

Please Login to Remove!

I need to vent.

I've had my Storm now for 2months plus and it's, well, OK. It's basically a good old fashioned BB with a sexy touch screen.

I have 3 children, wife, sister with iphone 3Gs and frankly I feel like a leper. The whole experience of the iphone is just streets ahead. I can't think of a single thing about the Storm where I'd say - that's why I've got one (forget video, never wanted it). I'm tyoing this in secret because of course I can't admit this to the other side.

So, people, help me out here. How do I fight back? Why is the Storm great?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

spierian,

Apple makes FABULOUS products and I am a huge MAC fan. I abandoned my PC five years ago and have every MAC accessory in my home EXCEPT the iPhone. The iPhone is a wonderful device and if it had come to Verizon, I would have one. It is also the only phone MAC supports so it has a devoted army of engineers that coddle it.

With that said, its important to remember the iPhone is years ahead of the Storm developmentally speaking. The Storm is just getting off the ground and I have faith that eventually there will be an OS that gets the phone up to speed with the iPhone.

The iPhone is also not a Blackberry and I think it is more business oriented than the iPhone. The iPhone is a more of a toy. The iPhone can't send MMS messages, something that lesser technology phones have done for ages. The Storm CAN send MMS messages.

I think the Storm is great because it's a Blackberry phone. Comparing the Storm to the iPhone is like comparing apples and oranges. To call the Storm an "iPhone Killer" is a mistake because the Storm still needs some work. However, the Storm unites Blackberry functionality with new age touchscreen techonology. In some aspects, its axiomatic the iPhone will always outperform the Storm.

I think both phones capture their respective markets. If you purchased a Storm because you wanted a touchscreen toy then you made a mistake. The iPhone is far more suitable for that purpose. But you if wanted a new age business phone, you just got yourself a wonderful device.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 03-02-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vrz

couldn't say it any better....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Queensplayer

PIN: 305e2bfa
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

i just don't like when ppl say that i phone is so much better than the storm. i also have the storm along with my curve. I'm starting to like my storm a lil more than the curve
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensplayer View Post
i just don't like when ppl say that i phone is so much better than the storm. i also have the storm along with my curve. I'm starting to like my storm a lil more than the curve
+1

i'm getting sick and tired of seeing "i" this and "i" that everywhere i look....
apple products are for ppl that prefer entertainment and games to productivity and progress....it's shocking to see how many ppl pay out the nose for their products.

btw, isn't this a blackberry forum ? how about everyone with an iphone stop posting here and go to apple's forums, you won't be missed !
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default Not really the same

I have both as well a Bold and the only device that I would think of leaving Storm for is the Bold as somedays I really miss the keypad.

iPhone does some things very well - most I classify as time wasters. Sure it's got some neat little "apps" but myself (as well recent research) has shown people get bored with them. With the sheer amount of apps I guess you could check out a new app every few days before you get bored.

I still find typing on the iPhone painfully slow compared to Storm, not to mention regular Blackberry. Sure the web / media experience has that Apple polish but I'm not a big iTunes user to begin with and all my media is obtained through other means. The allure of iPhone to iPod users is a channel Apple needed to exploit and leverage and it worked for the initial growth. For majority of mobile device users it's been a reaction I'll call luke-warm. Applications on a mobile device is not anything new. Apple just streamlined the process to locate and install them. Considering 95% are throwaway / junk strip that away to the core functionality you want in a mobile device.

To me Blackberry is hands down a better device at getting things done.

Push email
Multi-tasking (having facebook, aim, e-trade etc all running at once is better then the whole open / close / open / close flipping you do on iPhone.
Mailbox intergration with Outlook is so far ahead of what iPhone provides it's a joke. Blackberry is an extension of your mailbox / desktop and iPhone is a gadget with neat apps and a barely usable email client. Blackberry offers click to dial, email across all programs so it all just works.

If I didn't work all week, the iPhone has alot to offer a casual user. Unfortunately I do and Blackberry helps me get work done.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Well said jletendre!!

Verizon 9530
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
zero7404

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I have both as well a Bold and the only device that I would think of leaving Storm for is the Bold as somedays I really miss the keypad.

iPhone does some things very well - most I classify as time wasters. Sure it's got some neat little "apps" but myself (as well recent research) has shown people get bored with them. With the sheer amount of apps I guess you could check out a new app every few days before you get bored.

I still find typing on the iPhone painfully slow compared to Storm, not to mention regular Blackberry. Sure the web / media experience has that Apple polish but I'm not a big iTunes user to begin with and all my media is obtained through other means. The allure of iPhone to iPod users is a channel Apple needed to exploit and leverage and it worked for the initial growth. For majority of mobile device users it's been a reaction I'll call luke-warm. Applications on a mobile device is not anything new. Apple just streamlined the process to locate and install them. Considering 95% are throwaway / junk strip that away to the core functionality you want in a mobile device.

Push email
Multi-tasking (having facebook, aim, e-trade etc all running at once is better then the whole open / close / open / close flipping you do on iPhone.
Mailbox intergration with Outlook is so far ahead of what iPhone provides it's a joke. Blackberry is an extension of your mailbox / desktop and iPhone is a gadget with neat apps and a barely usable email client. Blackberry offers click to dial, email across all programs so it all just works.

If I didn't work all week, the iPhone has alot to offer a casual user. Unfortunately I do and Blackberry helps me get work done.
+1
well said !

i owned apple stuff before, ipods (including ipod touch), an imac, etc... and i got sick of them eventually.

they don't offer any value because they evolve inside apple's greenhouse instead of out in the wild. and it's only too amusing to see what happens when ppl start jailbreaking/etc., apple tries to stick it to those ppl....

when was the last time any phone manufacturer suggested that they'd like to have the ability to fine you $ 2500 if you jailbreak their product to do what you want with it ?

lol
Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Murfunit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

For computers and MP3 players I will put my Apple's against any other technology.

For a fun phone, the iPhone is great.

But after the novelty wore off I find myself always coming back to my Blackberry.

I'm new to the Storm, just migrating over from a Curve. But so far I love what I see.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
ankitb4u

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
spierian,

Apple makes FABULOUS products and I am a huge MAC fan. I abandoned my PC five years ago and have every MAC accessory in my home EXCEPT the iPhone. The iPhone is a wonderful device and if it had come to Verizon, I would have one. It is also the only phone MAC supports so it has a devoted army of engineers that coddle it.

With that said, its important to remember the iPhone is years ahead of the Storm developmentally speaking. The Storm is just getting off the ground and I have faith that eventually there will be an OS that gets the phone up to speed with the iPhone.

The iPhone is also not a Blackberry and I think it is more business oriented than the iPhone. The iPhone is a more of a toy. The iPhone can't send MMS messages, something that lesser technology phones have done for ages. The Storm CAN send MMS messages.

I think the Storm is great because it's a Blackberry phone. Comparing the Storm to the iPhone is like comparing apples and oranges. To call the Storm an "iPhone Killer" is a mistake because the Storm still needs some work. However, the Storm unites Blackberry functionality with new age touchscreen techonology. In some aspects, its axiomatic the iPhone will always outperform the Storm.

I think both phones capture their respective markets. If you purchased a Storm because you wanted a touchscreen toy then you made a mistake. The iPhone is far more suitable for that purpose. But you if wanted a new age business phone, you just got yourself a wonderful device.
Fabulously worded, explained.
I have a Blackberry pearl, Bold and an iPhone 3g. Now that I am with verizon I don't use the iPhone any more besides for its iPod capabilities and browsing here and there.
If i were you I would brag about the screen quality but again you are not looking for videos. Brick breaker is awesome too.
I also like feeling the touch rather than on iPhone you just touch it. It can be the bad side and the good side. It depends on how you word it.
I personally make it sound that it is the good side esp since i have bought it.
I can actually feel when I touch it as in press it in, but I dont feel the buttons like the qwerty keyboards. Which is why it is a phone in between a phone with an actual keyboard and just a simple touch screen like iPhone.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
[IFC]Area51
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post

Push email

I wish these kinds of NICE DOWN TO THE POINT messages come with a virtual slap!!!!!!.

Well said there, this should be a sticky.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
j0j0
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30486FEF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
I wish these kinds of NICE DOWN TO THE POINT messages come with a virtual slap!!!!!!.

Well said there, this should be a sticky.
well said both of you, ive always thought (in the back of my head) the Iphone is an awsome phone, i mean the Storm came out and made RIM look like a bunch of underpaid chimps with down syndrome put the device together. The Storm was a joke. As it improved ive been more hopeful that the Storm would come out a winner. Ive never owned an Iphone or a Mac anything, never cared to switch, i now own a Storm and thank god its improving. I was getting burned out on upgrading and still feeling like those pesky chimps are having a few laughs while we drop the $$$ for a Blackberry Storm. But the games have just begun, and the Storm has plenty of room for improvement.jletendre, said it best. The Iphone is a toy that a 10 yr old would love, but if your a grownup and desire a grownup device a Blackberry is the phone for you. I hope i made since friends, things are a little doubled in my state, heh. but i had to spit a few words on the subject...Deuces!

hehe
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #13
Donbp

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Of course if you actually have to use your phone for enterprise email the conversation stops there. End of story.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
RNCCRN9706

Model: 9650

I've got an iPhone, Storm and Bold. LOVE them all! I LOVE the games on my iPhone. I LOVE the functionality of my BB's!!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
+1
well said !

i owned apple stuff before, ipods (including ipod touch), an imac, etc... and i got sick of them eventually.

they don't offer any value because they evolve inside apple's greenhouse instead of out in the wild. and it's only too amusing to see what happens when ppl start jailbreaking/etc., apple tries to stick it to those ppl....

when was the last time any phone manufacturer suggested that they'd like to have the ability to fine you $ 2500 if you jailbreak their product to do what you want with it ?

lol
I will only strongly disagree with you in one aspect. When is comes to computing and listening to music, Apple is at the top of the heap. I am a hardcore BB fan but with everything else MAC is on top. I am thrilled with iMac and iPod Touch and the only reason I maintain a laptop PC is to service my Blackberry.

With regard to jailbreaking, the iPhone is running free my friend. I doubt Apple is having much luck collecting those fines.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Storm v iphone 3G

Girls, girls!

I started the thread. Thanks for all the input. Wow, there are some feelings there. It seems to me that that the best feeddack is that the Storm (like all BBs) does the business stuff right. That's it. Thanks for the reminder of why I went for BBs all those years ago. My own feeling is that the Storm implements good old fashioned BB-ness very well. I like the typing and I can copy DVDs to it. I should stop carping.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
William K

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierian View Post
I need to vent.

I've had my Storm now for 2months plus and it's, well, OK. It's basically a good old fashioned BB with a sexy touch screen.

I have 3 children, wife, sister with iphone 3Gs and frankly I feel like a leper. The whole experience of the iphone is just streets ahead. I can't think of a single thing about the Storm where I'd say - that's why I've got one (forget video, never wanted it). I'm tyoing this in secret because of course I can't admit this to the other side.

So, people, help me out here. How do I fight back? Why is the Storm great?
You don't really fight back. Honestly, both phones are great in there respective rights. You mentioned video wasn't a concern however it's still a noteworthy feature. I prefer the fact that when someone sends me a picture I can simply open it on my Storm where as on the iphone, you have to access another site just to open it. I also personally like the click screen as it confirms my selection as opposed to the iphone if you drag a finger across it's virtual keyboard it enters random letters. Email is miles better on the Storm. Like I said, the iphone has it's bells and whistles but I prefer the Storm.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
Blackberry_Stormer

PIN: 305A2E00

Still cant figure out why iPhone claims to be such an "entertainment" powerhouse but yet they make 2 versions and STILL cant get the phone right....no bluetooth stereo "Hellooooooooo your sposed to be a music beast, no mms? didnt you learn that from 2g? and for the love of God no landscape texting....my 13yr old cousin has a crap nokia and its sends pics.....nuff said I am done venting iPhone just a hype toy, Blackberry is how business gets done!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
sadosdemetrios
Thumbs Must Hurt

i had 3 iphones... one went to my mother the second to brother and third sold to friend... Blackberry is the only cell for me.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #20
michael12005

Model: Tour

The Storm is not great, in fact it is garbage! The i Phone however is terrific, except for two things: AT & T and eMail. All BlackBerry devices are far better for receiving and sending eMail, period! Verizon is probably the best carrier in the USA and AT & T probably one of the worst. Life is not perfect!

To me it is the carrier that comes first, not the device. I would quite like an i-Phone but would no more give my business to AT & T as I would to Hugo Chavez!
Closed Thread