Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
flipper11

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default 1st. Anniversary

Please Login to Remove!

Well....I recently reached the first anniversary of owning my 8230 Pearl Flip......and to say the least.....it has not been a good year. I pride myself in taking care of my stuff....yet very early on I began noticing that the upper portion was becoming very loose,which I found very un-nerving. I was told that they were all llike that,but was told that it could be sent in for repair. Not a bad idea except that it was going to cost me $50.00 for a "loaner" phone. So,I did not send it in. Since then,the camera has quit working,the Bluetooth option does not work(and starting tomorrow we are only allowed to use our cel phones with a hands-free device). Oh yes,the phone drops calls, and also shuts itself off. I couldgo on and on. My retailer has since got out of cel phones so I am left out in the cold. Guess I'll have to live with this until my contract is up....another 2 years.

Great stuff,Blackberry...!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: 1st. Anniversary

I don't know if it is your device, the model, or you. I take your word that you are careful with your stuff, so it would seem it has to be one or the other of the first two. But you may get a lot of responses to the contrary. All the BlackBerrys I've owned have held up for the most part and are either still in use as handmedowns to another user or kept by me as a backup device, and in full working order. (The exception is my first, a 7100t, on which the radio quit shortly into the third year, which I was happy with as an excuse to get a new BlackBerry.)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-31-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

... But by the way, you may want to describe the bluetooth issues. It may be something correctable. Maybe the camera, too, but I'm less optimistic about that.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I agree with aiharkness, all the BB's I have had held up well. How do you carry it? Pocket? Maybe dropped it a few times? They can be repaired and you may be able to replace the case if you want to try. There are videos on repair.
If you look on this site in the buy / sell section you may be able to get a replacement at a low cost or even a new model .
Old 01-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
flipper11

Model: 8230
Carrier: Bell Canada

I don't hold a grudge against Blackberrry...as a matter of fact when I do replace the flp....it will be another Blackberry,either the Curve or Bold. I just think they have the "Edsel" of smart phones on their hands in the Pearl Flip.Just a big "lemon".

As far as Bluetooth is concerned...I was told that the reciever did not work. As far as dropped calls...and shutting itself down...I was told that that was a common problem with this model.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Yeah, maybe, re quality of that model. I just haven't paid attention. Don't know.

On the bluetooth, if you turn it on and enable discovery, can other devices not see it at all?

I never have dropped calls, not on any BlackBerrys I've used. I've suspected network is a bigger factor than model, but I don't know. I've always been on T-Mobile--cant say I'm good in buildings, but when I have a signal I stay connected.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
cajoker

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have an 8220 and it's the worst cellphone I've ever had from a hardware quality perspective. (My husband used to have a different BB model, and his worked great.) For the 8220, I have to pull out the battery probably four or five times a week to clear the phone. The first device I had failed entirely after several months. I've now gone through three other devices for the Bluetooth antenna failure.

I will never purchase a Blackberry again. I have no respect for a company that doesn't have a "factory recall" or different model replacement program when customer after customer report the same Bluetooth antenna failure.

I also have no respect for T-Mobile that they can't apply pressure on Blackberry to do the right thing.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajoker View Post
I have an 8220 and it's the worst cellphone I've ever had from a hardware quality perspective. (My husband used to have a different BB model, and his worked great.) For the 8220, I have to pull out the battery probably four or five times a week to clear the phone. The first device I had failed entirely after several months. I've now gone through three other devices for the Bluetooth antenna failure.

I will never purchase a Blackberry again. I have no respect for a company that doesn't have a "factory recall" or different model replacement program when customer after customer report the same Bluetooth antenna failure.

I also have no respect for T-Mobile that they can't apply pressure on Blackberry to do the right thing.
Yeah, I've got to agree with you about the bluetooth problem, it's not something that should be happening as often as it has happened with the 8220.

I own 3 of these phones, and have had bluetooth problems with 2 of them. I am very lucky that I have friends that can pretty safely fix a flow solder problem. This problem hasn't been as widespread with other Blackberrys.

I will on the other hand make one point that my techie friends have said to me about this. Every time I have had a problem with the bluetooth, just prior to that I dropped the phone, or hit it against something, it didn't seem like it was partially my fault because the bluetooth problems didn't happen at the moment I did this, but they have made it quite clear to me that the phone isn't doing this to itself. The one new 8220 that I have (and use) has never been dropped or hit against anything, and it has never had a bluetooth problem.

Now, I am not saying it is not RIMs fault because this phone should not be so delicate that you can't bump into something with it on your belt and not have problems.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of the phones with bluetooth problems will be found to be manufactured with Mexico 3 or Mexico 4 stamped on them, and I'm guessing that it was a problem with that manufacturing site.

The only thing I will say in RIMs defense for not doing anything about this is that they are not the only company using substandard electronic, or for that matter most any parts, or piece of new equipment. I know this because I deal with a lot of repair parts and equipment that is now manufactured overseas, and we have a huge amount of trouble with new, just out of the box, parts and equipment. A lot of what we get to repair things with is useless broken junk when when we put it in, and the really sad thing is there is no longer somewhere else to go to for what you need.

Last edited by jaszman; 04-16-2011 at 04:54 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The 8200 series is not RIM's best. They were pulled by Verizon and Sprint after a very short shelf life.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread