jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: Even Worse Than Expected

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
@jsconyers - True. I do not expect very many (with the exception of the very faithful), but don't forget, there are BlackBerry supporters who are using older devices now, may be in the middle of a contract, who will still buy an OS 7.1 device. Allowing RIM some elbow room. Enough to help save them? IMO, I am not sure. Slim hope. With the current issues they face, I am really worried about their hardware standing the test of time. As newer tech is introduced to the mobile markets, will RIM have the ability keep up development AND still be able to flesh out their OS so that when/if it is ever released, it will still be competitive with what else is out there.
Good point, but those users have to be very faithful to RIM to consider a 7.1 device that could be almost a year old when compared to the iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III (or whatever the most recent Android device is at the time), or a Windows 8 phone. Quite frankly, 7.1 devices don't really stack up to the competition. The saving grace is that most carriers are giving them away for free with a 2 year contract.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #22
Colonel Panic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't believe they sold 260,000 PlayBooks in one quarter. Who's buying those things?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I bought two of them. I actually like the Playbook better than my iPad....if only the apps were there.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

In all this mess, I wonder if this 2013 Q1 isn't a marketing strategy to bring it out on Christmas and somehow get ppl to think they have learned.
They never brought a device before the deadline and are always late, if they pull this trick could bring back a bit of confidence the company.
If I really believe this will happen, Nope!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

That doesn't even make any sense.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #26
CarBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
That's too bad. Started off with one of these. I still fire it up every once in a while just to see if it still works.

It's so nice and comforting to see one of the early BlackBerrys!! Despite all the doom and gloom, I truly feel that RIM will launch BB 10. And I will be so pleased and proud to add it to my BlackBerry collection.

GO RIM !!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob View Post

It's so nice and comforting to see one of the early BlackBerrys!! Despite all the doom and gloom, I truly feel that RIM will launch BB 10. And I will be so pleased and proud to add it to my BlackBerry collection.

GO RIM !!

It would be nice if everyone was as optimistic as you, however, I feel that you're in the minority, both, with your feelings RIM's future, as well as with adding a BB10 device to your collection.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

we just upgraded our canadien office to 25 new BlackBerry devices

had 9700 and 9800, now getting 9900 and 9810

We still have more BB than other devices, but ratio is dropping
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
we just upgraded our canadien office to 25 new BlackBerry devices

had 9700 and 9800, now getting 9900 and 9810

We still have more BB than other devices, but ratio is dropping
we are officially moving 100% away from BlackBerry. The recent news has expedited this move significantly.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

We've had 9900s, 9360s, and 9810s for awhile now. I hardly even see an 9780 or anything.

I am not sure how the news of the delayed release will affect future BBs coming on site, but the 7.1 OS devices will last a few years anyways.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #31
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

We are "officially" not going to support BB10 devices as Mobile Fusion is not going to be installed. The existing BBs will be around for a while...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #32
b52junebug

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

Everything is cyclical... just remember that fellas. Apple was here.. right here to be honest. Then they released the iPhone and BAM they are close to the top. However, their equipment isnt changing, they are updating the OS, but the equipment remains the same. Some changes yearly, but still the same. Sound like someone else we know? I honestly dont know where everyone is heading, but we all need to take a synical look at all of it and not pick favorites. It is our Job as Mobility Professionals to see through the hype and work to provide what ever is in our companies best intrest. It is going to get very bumpy, very scary, and at times you may scream out loud. Just keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times. Maybe RIM needs to hire some Apple Marketing folks.. Or licesnse their software out to Samsung or HTC. That way the company can focus on providing the secure software we (individuals and companies) have grown to love, and reap the benefits of having manufactures who are always looking to get ahead.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Comparing RIM to Apple is a tough one.

Apple released the iPod first and took over the MP3 player business which was fragmented. Then they invented the market of buying single songs - deconstructing albums (the Biography of Jobs is great) and hooked people on iTunes. The iPhone followed work already being done on the iPad (which was released later) and hooked more people on iTunes. The iPad turned the market upside down. And all your iPhone apps run on your iPad, etc. etc. They invented the mobile ecosystem (I hate that term).

RIM is trying to come out with a new phone. That's about it. It will miss the Back to School and 2012 Holiday seasons. While the iPhone 5 will be 2% different than the iPhone 4s, it will still sell millions of devices. Amazing, horrifying, but accurate. New Androids come out seemingly every day. And Windows Phone 8 - with the super deep pockets of Microsoft - will be here in the fall.

It is going to be a VERY long and bumpy ride.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
b52junebug

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

True comparing is tough one, but how often are the consumer let alone the enterprise going to put up with the $600 expense every year? I know, I know.. it subsidized on some peoples plans, but not all. There is a reason not everyone upgraded when the New iPad came out.. If you had an iPad 2 what did you really gain? Most people use these for media plain and simple. If you cant have your gaming apps, music and movies who wants it.. Hence the reason for users shunning blackberry. How many of our users know you can actually download an app on their devices? How many of our orginizations cringed the moment they found out? Now we are stuck with it. People are downloading and installing apps that are for work life balance.. tell me what does your company documents stored in a 3rd party cloud have to do with work life balance? What is the point of Angry Birds as a stress relief app? Give me a break. I know our users want one phone that they can carry and use for business and personal. But why? We as companies are so over exposed as it is. RIM has the platform we need. Personal satisfaction for a company device.. WHO CARES.. Keep your company safer with RIM.
Here is an interesting article btw:
Apple's Planned Obsolescence: Customer Revolt Brews - Global-cio - Executive insights/interviews - Informationweek
Old 07-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #35
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

I'll be here for the duration. Call me what you want, roll your eyes, sneer if you want. My upgrade is due in December, but I'm more than willing to wait a few months for a BB10 device.

I'm not going to be hateful, but I'm not naive, either. BlackBerry continues to be the best choice for my wants and needs. I will stay optimistic.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm still one of the I-will-never-switch users, at least so long as BlackBerrys and BlackBerry services are still available.

The delays and such don't disappoint me. I guess I'm over that. I expect it with RIM. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

But I'm using a BlackBerry now for pretty much the same reason I started: Communication and access to news and information any time and any where. The BlackBerry services that have been provided in the mean time have been gravy as far as I'm concerned.

If it all goes away I don't know what I'll do. No plans. I'll deal with it if and when it happens.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Everyone has valid points and opinions. It's not going to go away. Even if I did switch over to WP7.

I gave up on the whole "RIM Security" deal when they came out with a native e-mail client for the Playbook that used ActiveSync because they never figured out how to have two devices (BB and PB) both connecting to BES. OK, so the bridging thing was pretty stupid to begin with, but then to put out an Exchange client using ActiveSync? I gave up.

Yet another reason while I state without fear of successful contradiction that the Playbook was the stupidest thing RIM ever did.

And we will control the user downloads via the winner of our MDM shootout. Mobile Fusion is not on the roadmap.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 07-02-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
And we will control the user downloads via the winner of our MDM shootout. Mobile Fusion is not on the roadmap.
As well a block access to any third party cloud. MDM can make managing these non-BlackBerry devices pretty easy and help give you peace of mind in regards to security. It is not BES, but it does do the job.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #39
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Is it true (or not) that BB 10 devices can't use BES and have to be managed via Mobile Fusion?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #40
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Is it true (or not) that BB 10 devices can't use BES and have to be managed via Mobile Fusion?
This is what I have been hearing all along. However, the current speculation is that RIM has delayed BB10 to try to get it to work with the existing BES, so you wouldn't need Mobile Fusion for BB10, but just for non-BB devices. That's all speculation.

If that were the case, you would think they would try testing that with the playbook before releasing BB10 with that functionality that may or may not work.
Closed Thread