BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #21
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: RIM Offers Free Premium Apps to Customers Following Service Interrupti

Please Login to Remove!

To bad there isn't a way to move posts to the rant section.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
Medic48
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Re: RIM Offers Free Premium Apps to Customers Following Service Interrupti

I'm fairly certain that the "Limited Time Offer" means that it is complimentary until End of Month December, not that you will be charged later on.

--Phil
Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I don't think that's the case - assuming you are referring to DriveSafe.ly Pro. If it were, I think RIM would have to disclose that when you download it or in the user agreement.

From the dev's website:
DriveSafe.ly Terms of Service (
Quote:
1b. Pricing: iSpeech may price DriveSafe.ly with monthly or annual subscription and/or one-time fee payment models. iSpeech suggested retail price for DriveSafe.ly Pro is $3.95 monthly or $39.95 annually. iSpeech suggested retail price for DriveSafe.ly Enterprise is $7.99 monthly or $79.90 annually. By signing up for a subscription, you agree to pay a recurring charge every 30 days for monthly subscription or every year for annual subscription until you cancel service. By purchasing a one-time payment option, you will only be charged one time, and your purchase code will be tied to the phone for the life of the phone. Pricing may change at any time without notice and customer is free to cancel at any time. iSpeech may discount this pricing at their sole discretion without notice. iSpeech may also offer discounted “Family Packs” and other quantity-based discounts. All prices are reflected in US dollars. Pricing may vary in different markets and at different times. iSpeech is not responsible for exchange rate fluctuations or fees that may increase or decrease the purchase price.
I think RIM is giving the app under the one time payment option, free in this case. The price on App World was prevously $19.99 I think.

Limited Time Offer refers to the time frame you can get it free - until Dec. 31. That applies to all the apps RIM is giving away.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
stoneymonk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 2823d189
Carrier: fido

Is drive safetly app work with bbm mesenger,also i hve the regular version of nobex radio is it worth to get the premium verson

Last edited by stoneymonk; 10-22-2011 at 07:34 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #25
jamesdfitter

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

I agree with 'The Tinker' also, they have given us 2 ok-ish apps (I have only downloaded Drive Safe.ly, as I've heard BubbleBash is awful, and in spanish.). I am wondering when they will give us another app, or, is it just my phone not picking other apps up?

Thanks,

James.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
daphne

They are not releasing new apps on the weekend, so maybe tomorrow. RIM said apps will be made available over the period of Oct. 19 to Dec. 31 so there is still a lot of time.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #27
joginder

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

None of these apps have any use for me.. I wish RIM offered BB Call Manager or some thing likewise so i could use for blocking unwanted call or sms..
well thats my choice.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #28
daphne

Is anyone reading the first post in this thread? RIM's announcement clearly says other apps will be added to the list. Seems to me people are quick to assume and complain but they haven't read all the info.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #29
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Is anyone reading the first post in this thread? RIM's announcement clearly says other apps will be added to the list. Seems to me people are quick to assume and complain but they haven't read all the info.
Agreeed, Daphne! I admit I wish they'd just made them all available at once, rather than dribbling them out as they seem to be doing, but they did say that they'd "become available over a period of four weeks" as Dubdub noted in the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The complete selection of premium apps will become available to download at BlackBerry App World over a period of four weeks beginning Wednesday, October 19th. The selections over this period will include the following (with more to come):

SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts
Bejeweled - Electronic Arts
N.O.V.A. - Gameloft
Texas Hold'em Poker 2 - Gameloft
Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft
Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps
DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org
iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org
Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org
Nobex Radio™ Premium - Nobex
Shazam Encore - Shazam
Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo
Old 10-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #30
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder View Post
None of these apps have any use for me.. I wish RIM offered BB Call Manager or some thing likewise so i could use for blocking unwanted call or sms..
well thats my choice.
They're free. FREE.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #31
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
If you think this is bad then you should look at the comments on the BB Facebook page.....OMG.

And once service was resumed dozens were still calling for 'compensation', which some pointed out that the £5 cost of the data plan divided by the day's outages would net the grumblers about 50p...

Now the apps are being put out, and it's clearly stated that game was the FIRST....and off they went again. The game is rubbish cos it was in Spanish....BB needed shooting....folks were going to iphone...and the language was enough to curl straight hair. ( I put shooting to save the forum swear bot getting me )

I'm afraid that nowadays we live in a compensation culture, that most are not happy with, and are not happy without. No-one is content with what they have anymore.

Me? I'll sit and wait to see what apps come out, and if there is something that I might like then I might get it and say thank you to BB. If there is nothing I fancy then I won't be bothered. Some seem to forget that BB didn't have to give us free apps, they could have done nothing.

These things happen, shite happens, people try to make amends, but one thing is truer than anything.....you can't please all of the people all of the time...

Ang x
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
DallasFlier

Hmm... OK. They're free, and no one is "owed" any of these free apps from RIM.

But... They announced this a week ago today, with a list of 12 apps with "more to come" and said they'd be made available "over a period of four weeks beginning Wednesday, October 19th." They released one immediately, and a second a day or two after that. Now, its a week from the original announcemnt, and nothing new for the last 5 days or so.

If they were going to release them over a period of 4 weeks as said, that seems smart, as it avoids too large a load on their servers if everything is announced at once. But to stretch them out, that should be at least 3 per week, even without "more to come." Not only does this significantly detract from the PR value of the program, as people are getting frustrated, but they are risking having that overload by waiting to release all the apps weighted towards the end of the 4 week period.

I'm a longtime BlackBerry fan, and still committed at this point, but I have to say - as a PR move due to the widespread outages, now they appear to be screwing this up too - from that PR perspective.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
daphne

I read there have been 2 more released since the original 2. But not all apps are compatible with all devices and OS's. I stll see only 2 in my AW. It's up to the developers to update their apps, that's not RIM's fault.

Last edited by daphne; 10-27-2011 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
DallasFlier

Quote:
I read there have been 2 more released since the original 2. But not all apps are compatible with all devices and OS's. I stll see only 2 in my AW. It's up to the developers to update their apps, that's not RIM's fault.
Yep, I still only see (the original) 2 in my AW. And, this isn't up to the developers, as there's no updating of the app itself, just whether AW lets you download without the "purchase" step or not. Its the same app, and its still available for download right now - with $$$. So, yes it is RIM's fault. And to emphasize, I think this was a good PR move on RIM's behalf, but they're now causing the "good PR" value to go down by frustrating the userbase. With 12 apps "on the list" and a promise of "more to come" over 4 weeks - logic would say that user should expect to see 3+ per week released, and that hasn't happened.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #35
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Yep, I still only see (the original) 2 in my AW. And, this isn't up to the developers, as there's no updating of the app itself, just whether AW lets you download without the "purchase" step or not. Its the same app, and its still available for download right now - with $$$. So, yes it is RIM's fault. And to emphasize, I think this was a good PR move on RIM's behalf, but they're now causing the "good PR" value to go down by frustrating the userbase. With 12 apps "on the list" and a promise of "more to come" over 4 weeks - logic would say that user should expect to see 3+ per week released, and that hasn't happened.
If the dev hasn't updated an app for a particular OS or device, how is that RIM's fault? If an app is not compatible with your device it won't be visible to you in App World whether it's a freebie from RIM, always free, or a paid app that's not on the giveaway.

But I know what you mean - RIM seems to shoot themsevles in the foot lately with promises they don't keep.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #36
DallasFlier

Quote:
But I know what you mean - RIM seems to shoot themsevles in the foot lately with promises they don't keep.
Yep, that's my only point, Daphne. I'm not a RIM-basher and don't want to be percieved as one - just hate to see them possibly bumbling this and turning what should be a positive for them into yet another negative.
Closed Thread