Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
pokey
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default 9700 battery problems

Please Login to Remove!

I am using a 9700 and have tried a bunch of different OS and have come to the conclusion that the older one's, ie: 300 and 400 one's are better for battery life. My battery dies within 7-8 hours and that is with only moderate use. Could the Twitter app be a factor in this? Also, I know there are tons of threads out there about different OS, but what is the consensus on the best OS for battery life and is there an app that would tell me which application is killing my battery so quickly? This is only when my phone is on 3G only mode. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: 9700 battery problems

Me, I've always discounted the statements about one OS being better than another for battery life.

There are a number of variables. The primary thing for you is to look at the apps you have running that would be hitting the network all the time. Fully close everything but the core apps that run all the time and watch it for 24 hours, and see what happens.

Twitter app? Which one? Search on the specific app name and see what others say. I have the RIM blackberry twitter app and I don't see it as a power hog.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Battery life is more depenednt on how youuse it than on the OS, IMHO. Seven to eight hours is not all that bad for a full featured smart phone. What are you expecting?

Any app that uses data and is constantly polling out and back will help reduce your battery life.

And if you are in a 3G fringe area and the device is seraching for a good signal, that also decreases the life of the carge.

From our FAQ: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
pokey

Thanks for the information. I was hoping for 12 hours but I can only get that on 2G. Good point about the 3G, I have a low signal where I am so I am constantly going from 3G to no connection and back and forth.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Me, I've always discounted the statements about one OS being better than another for battery life.

There are a number of variables. The primary thing for you is to look at the apps you have running that would be hitting the network all the time. Fully close everything but the core apps that run all the time and watch it for 24 hours, and see what happens.

Twitter app? Which one? Search on the specific app name and see what others say. I have the RIM blackberry twitter app and I don't see it as a power hog.
I have the Twitter one that comes pushed on the device from Rogers. Same as you I guess. I would assume that, due to the fact that Twitter checks for updates every 5 minutes or so that it would kill the battery. You can set it to check every hour but then what is the point of the app....
Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I have mine set to one hour intervals, or something like that. But I'm not a big twitter user.

If you want to continue doing what you are doing, just plan on topping off the battery whenever you have the chance. And when you know ahead of time that you aren't going to be able to do it, shut things down or change settings. For example I usually have the podcasts app set to download any time, mobile or wifi, even when not charging, and it can run the battery down quick. When I travel, I change the settings because I know I could end up a long time without an access to an outlet.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I have mine set to one hour intervals, or something like that. But I'm not a big twitter user.

If you want to continue doing what you are doing, just plan on topping off the battery whenever you have the chance. And when you know ahead of time that you aren't going to be able to do it, shut things down or change settings. For example I usually have the podcasts app set to download any time, mobile or wifi, even when not charging, and it can run the battery down quick. When I travel, I change the settings because I know I could end up a long time without an access to an outlet.
Thank you for the info!!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Model: 9780
Carrier: DU

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery

Instructions.Things You'll Need:

A battery charger with discharge capabilities.
Place the dead battery in your freezer (yes next to your ice cubes). Allow the battery to remain in the freezer for several hours.

Remove the NiCD or NiMH battery and place it in your battery charger. Immediately place the battery in the discharge cycle. Allow the battery to fully discharge what is left.

Immediately after discharge, begin a charge on the battery. Allow the battery to charge for at least 24 hours.

Remove the nickle cadmium (Ni-CD) or nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery from the freezer, and insert into your charger again. Begin the discharge process.

Allow the battery to fully charge over 24 hours. Discharge again. What you are doing is called "Cycling" your battery, which is like doing a workout to make your battery stronger.

Repeat the charge & discharge cycle at least 5 times. After the 5th time, your NiCD or NiMH battery will most likely work again. Continue the cycle process to give the battery more strength.

How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com

Read more: How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com How to Restore A Dead Rechargeable Battery | eHow.com
Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
Remove the NiCD or NiMH battery
The problem is these BlackBerry batteries are neither NiCD or NiMH batteries, they are Li-Ion, and do apply to your instructions. Please know what you're taking about when you make posts like this, you'll end up ruining someone's BlackBerry.

Everyone, please ignore these instructions.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ditto Ditto Ditto.

And do not freeze your battery no matter what you read or hear.

See the battery article at blackberryfaq.com. Don't leave your device where it will get very hot or very cold. Don't routinely run the battery completely down before recharging; and better yet, charge it every night when you are sleeping. And when you have to buy a new battery, buy an original BlackBerry battery from a reputable source. Do these simple things and you'll get a long life out of your battery.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

And, for the record... here's good advice regarding battery use in a BlackBerry, and proper drain and charging.

Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread