Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint
Default Tethering or Broadband Plan?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm with sprint and currently have hte Anymobile Anytime w/unlimited data. PAM was not included in this plan however when I switched to this plan the PAM option (previously had) carried over and I didn't say anything. Had this for about a year now and finally sprint discovered I had it and removed it from my account so at this point I only have 2 options:

1) Purchase Tetherberry or other program - one shot purchase (Save Money)

2) Get a mobile wifi card (sprint) but costs $60/month for this plan but you can connect up to 5 devices anywhere (laptops, ipods, consoles, etc.) (Cool Factor but monthly charge)

What do you think?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

One other question....if I opt for Tetherberry, can that be used on more than one laptop? I have a netbook and a regular laptop that I use.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I believe that Tether can be used on multiple computers but only one BB.

As for what you want you should do, I would guess that it comes down to: (a) the % of time that you need to actively use the BB while also using the laptop connected to the BB, and (b) your perceived estimation of the probability that Sprint will figure out how to shut off access via Tether in the short-term (i.e., less than a couple of months).
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
bur1196
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130

I would try the tetherberry before you buy it and make sure it works. I never did get mine working...

The pros of the mobile wifi card is that it is slightly faster (and I do mean slightly) and like you said, can connect up to 5 devices but costs $60 a month and has a two year contract if I am correct. Your yearly costs will be $720 + tax.

The pros of the tethering capabilities of the phone, or PAM for example, is that it is much cheaper and you will save hundreds over the long run...

I personally have the tethering on my account and I found it to be sufficient for my needs. It is my main and only source of internet access. If I need to take the laptop with me, I just take the USB cable (and phone of course) with it and I'm good to go. There were times that I forgot the USB cable so now I keep one in the car ;)

I would say you can put Tetherberry on both devices but not sure if it is "legal" to do...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
scotty001

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOB (UK)

not sure iif it help or i have an odd device but i just connected my tour to my laptop opened bbdtm 5.01.16 and clicked the ip modem icon, im then up and running on the laptop using my tour as the modem, no other 3rd party apps or things to pay for.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

well I recently purchased the mobile wifi card but I do have until 2/19 to return it with a $35 restocking fee, so I'm just weighing my options at this point. But I must admit the speed seems just a tad faster from when I used my Tour to tether, but also its been nice to be able to have internet access for my Ipod Touch whereever I go as well.

My question is whether using Tetherberry or other 3rd party app, will sprint know that a person is tethering? Like I've said before as well I have a netbook and a regular laptop that I use and I'd like to be able to use one or the other but was wondering if that would involve purchasing to separate tetherberries to do that.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty001 View Post
not sure iif it help or i have an odd device but i just connected my tour to my laptop opened bbdtm 5.01.16 and clicked the ip modem icon, im then up and running on the laptop using my tour as the modem, no other 3rd party apps or things to pay for.
I've read that by using BBDTM to tether, the carrier will be able track your tethering usage because it is using an IP from the carrier.

Closed Thread