Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
a_gunslinger

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Came from Dark Side: New BB user questions

Please Login to Remove!

I have just arrived from the Dark Side (Palm Pro) and now have a BB Tour - and loving it. Like any phone, there are some issues I need to figure out.

1. Is there any way to change the default "desktop" icon/apps that are shown on main screen? I use Astrasync to get my works Exchange account Calendar and Tasks onto my Tour. The Astrasync view is the most concise and complete but its housed in the "Downloads" folder under the settings menus. Would love to get it on desktop as an icon.

2. As for Astrasync, it works really well capturing the Exchange accounts calendar and tasks -something the BB email setup by itself cant do without a BES. IS there a better option I am missing. I really dont need 3 icons that give me my messages.

3. It wont quit beeping at me. I thought I set it to Silent for the arrival of emails and messages. But it keeps randomly beeping at points I think its receiving messages/emails. Cant figure out whats causing it and how to turn it off. Phone is set for Silent sound profile.

4. Phone ringer only rings one time. I set the ringer to the classic phone ring but when someone calls it rings once and once only.

Many thanks!

Last edited by a_gunslinger; 09-09-2009 at 08:32 AM..
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Welcome!!

1. Highlight the icon and click the blackberry button/menu button. Choose the option Move to Folder and place it where you would like.

2. I'm not familiar with Astrasync

3. Check the profile and make sure every item is set to Silent or None for notification. Maybe Astrasync is beeping everytime, and Astrasync isn't controlled by the profile?

4. That should be a setting under profiles for number of notifications or beeps.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_gunslinger View Post
I have just arrived from the Dark Side (Palm Pro) and now have a BB Tour - and loving it. Like any phone, there are some issues I need to figure out.

1. Is there any way to change the default "desktop" icon/apps that are shown on main screen? I use Astrasync to get my works Exchange account Calendar and Tasks onto my Tour. The Astrasync view is the most concise and complete but its housed in the "Downloads" folder under the settings menus. Would love to get it on desktop as an icon.

2. As for Astrasync, it works really well capturing the Exchange accounts calendar and tasks -something the BB email setup by itself cant do without a BES. IS there a better option I am missing. I really dont need 3 icons that give me my messages.

3. It wont quit beeping at me. I thought I set it to Silent for the arrival of emails and messages. But it keeps randomly beeping at points I think its receiving messages/emails. Cant figure out whats causing it and how to turn it off. Phone is set for Silent sound profile.

4. Phone ringer only rings one time. I set the ringer to the classic phone ring but when someone calls it rings once and once only.

Many thanks!
Welcome to the forums, and the BlackBerry.

1. From the Home Screen, highlight an icon and press the Menu key. You will see a menu with options to move or hide the icon you highlighted (this wil work for any icon). You will also see an option to "Move To Folder". Highlight your Astrasync icon, press menu and select this. One of the folder options is "Home". This will relocate the icon to your home screen.

2. Your additional e-mail icons can be hidden as well. I'm not aware of any onbaord app that will do what Astrasync is doing for your right now, without BES.

3 and 4. Open your Profiles icon and select "Advanced" from the menu. It will let you set ringers for any of your communications related apps (e-mail, phone, SMS, etc).
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
a_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub33 View Post
Welcome to the forums, and the BlackBerry.

1. From the Home Screen, highlight an icon and press the Menu key. You will see a menu with options to move or hide the icon you highlighted (this wil work for any icon). You will also see an option to "Move To Folder". Highlight your Astrasync icon, press menu and select this. One of the folder options is "Home". This will relocate the icon to your home screen.

2. Your additional e-mail icons can be hidden as well. I'm not aware of any onbaord app that will do what Astrasync is doing for your right now, without BES.

3 and 4. Open your Profiles icon and select "Advanced" from the menu. It will let you set ringers for any of your communications related apps (e-mail, phone, SMS, etc).

Re: 1: I was able to select Astrasync fron within the Downloads folder, then Move it To Home. That doesnt put it in the Desktop, just drops it out of Downloads and into root of main BB menu of all folders and apps. Once there there is no move to Home option. It appears that the desktop seesm to show ALL the menu tems/apps/options with only 6 visible on the bottom of the desktop screen. Hiding the icons on desktop just causes the next in the list to replace it. Cant seem to get the Astrasync icon to get there.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
a_gunslinger

Thanks for the prompt replies! Im going to like it here ;^)
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
a_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EOS- View Post
Welcome!!

1. Highlight the icon and click the blackberry button/menu button. Choose the option Move to Folder and place it where you would like.

2. I'm not familiar with Astrasync

3. Check the profile and make sure every item is set to Silent or None for notification. Maybe Astrasync is beeping everytime, and Astrasync isn't controlled by the profile?

4. That should be a setting under profiles for number of notifications or beeps.

Re: 1: no option to place on desktop; Home just drops it to last in list of all folders/apps/items under Menu.

Re: 4: Only have options for Ring Tone, Volume, Sound in Holster, LED and Vibration.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
a_gunslinger

OK, figured out the icon movement. Select icon in Menu screen, select move, use mouse to move to new location (top 6 show on desktop), and place it there.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You might be getting sounds for "events" on your device, like roaming, battery fully charged, etc.

Options> Advanced Options> Accessibility> Event Sounds = Off
Closed Thread