BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #21
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I'd be curious to see the difference between the 8900 with EDGE and a comparable device on 3G in everyday use. I can certainly imagine that apps like Google Maps, used in conjunction with GPS, might be a significantly better experience with 3G, and a streaming radio app would be better off with 3G also. But aside from that, I'm not seeing many instances where it would make much of a difference for me -- and if the accelerated battery drain I've read about with 3G is a real issue, I'd rather *not* have to worry about that.

Prior to my current 8900, I never had UMA on a mobile device -- my last BB was an 8300, which was great. Now that my 8900 switches to UMA automatically when I walk in my front door at home, or when I get to work, the library, Panera, etc, I'm getting spectacular speed and connectivity pretty much anywhere I would stop and make use of the 8900's web browser or send/receive large files. Aside from that, I generally have a perfectly good EDGE signal 99% of the time wherever I go, and that does just fine for normal phone use, typical emails and SMS/MMS.

No doubt if I sat in my car and tried web browsing, I might appreciate 3G, but that's happened perhaps 2 or 3 times over the last few years (checking a movie schedule from the car). Also: with apps like Viigo updating movie schedules for me as a background task, I don't have to go to the web anymore to get local movie schedules from my 8900.

My career has centered around technology and I love new advances, so I appreciate what 3G does. But so far I don't miss it, and if my battery lasts longer without it, odds are I'd opt to *not* use 3G if that were a choice.

Anyway -- 8900, with its increased memory (loads still free, even with several background apps running) and fast processor, and with UMA connections available in most places I'd want faster connectivity, is a great experience right now. Great device (mine has been flawless so far) overall.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

All I remember is that some people who bought Bolds on Rogers Canada said they couldn't download web pages any faster via 3g than they could with EDGE, and they could select either 3g or 2g on their device (ATT Bold does not have that option). And some with 3g Bolds that they bought from Rogers and unlocked on ATT couldn't dl web pages any faster than they could with EDGE either. I know that I could dl as fast on EDGE with my pearl as my friend could with his 3g Storm from the same location/signal. To me from reading people's experiences it seems clear that just because you have a 3g phone does not mean for sure that your connection speeds will not be any faster than your 2g speed where you use your phone. The impression that the ads give is that it will be way faster for everybody who lives in a 3g coverage area. Battery life does seem to suffer and I suspect that is because of the relatively new technology/phones. I expect that to get better in the future.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

The real question is why ask/discuss 3G in an 8900 forum.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #24
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

We have 3G here in Phoenix AZ, went went live last October
Old 02-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #25
jcbauerca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile

Hmmm, I always thought 3G systems would allow us to do video phone calls and all we are doing with it is stream You Tube. I think the Europeans can make video calls which was supposedly the real reason for all the 3G hype.

Am I wrong???
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #26
hilu80
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

i think the 3g only works on the G1 as i was told but in the quarter year they should be makin a blackberry that runs off of 3g for tmobile
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilu80 View Post
i think the 3g only works on the G1 as i was told but in the quarter year they should be makin a blackberry that runs off of 3g for tmobile
No, T-Mobile has several 3G devices for sale.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbauerca View Post
Hmmm, I always thought 3G systems would allow us to do video phone calls and all we are doing with it is stream You Tube. I think the Europeans can make video calls which was supposedly the real reason for all the 3G hype.

Am I wrong???
They launched 3G with video calling devices a few years ago in the UK. They never proved popular. The networks support 3G video calling here, but not so many networks still offer the devices.

3 - Products & Services - Planet 3 - Service detail
This is just an example. All UK networks offer video calling subject to handset and data coverage.

Last edited by Jadey; 03-03-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
jlhetrick

PIN: N/A
Default 8900 vs. earlier Curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
We have 3g here in Orlando, too bad I'm on Tmobile and that means no blackberry that can use it, as stated above. :( What the **** were they thinking releasing the 8900 without 3g?

Not sure what the point of the 8900 is, it's no different then the previous curve besides a better camera...
My comments might not even count here (this is my first post) as I just ordered my 8900 and don't even have it in hand yet (but have handled one several times now).

DHermit- there is currently several very good reviews on the 8900 both pre and post release. You will find both from the reviews and handling one yourself that there are very significant differences between the 8900 and the earlier Curves.

Besides the improved looks/design (relative to taste of course) the OS is updated, the screen resolution is far superior (best for any BB but the tradeoff is smaller screen), better keyboard, thinner and lighter, much, much faster processor and more solidly built (try squeezing the 8320 vs. the 8900 and listen/feel for results). You have already mentioned the better camera.

As I understand it from the reviews, the speculation (very sound) is that the smaller, thin/compact design is very appealing to the market and could not have been accomplished if 3G was included. bigger battery and radio addition requires more space. Excellent business decision for T-Mobile based on the fact that they do not yet have Wide 3G coverage. The 8900 will definately help them afford to expand as they are selling like hot-cakes.

been Windows smartphone for years with no desire for blackberry until I saw the BB Bold. Went in to T-Mobile to cancel and transfer to AT&T for the BOLD and there sat the new 8900. I was bought by the 8900 and T-Mobile kept a customer.

Last edited by jlhetrick; 03-12-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Closed Thread