BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
elisherer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: ?
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Any way to set up IMAP email manually?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new business email, and don't have Outlook set up yet... using Webmail only for a week or so (also the company doesn't use Exchange for Blackberry).

So is there any way to set up my BBry email as IMAP without having it connected to Outlook directly? I tried setting up a Mail account, but it seems to be a POP account. And every time the BBry checks mail, it marks the mail as "read" on the webmail account.

How do I set the BBry to leave mail on server and NOT mark it as read?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Outlook has very little to do with getting mail to your BB. Mail is pushed by RIM from your email server directly to the BB. Mail is left on the server by default. If you use IMAP, in most cases deleting on the BB deletes on the server. It just depends on how it is set up and implemented. I can't remember if RIM is full IMAP or not.

Make sure you have the proper BB data plan activated on the device. The read your user guide on setting up email and/or read our FAQ. Here is a link: How to add / delete email addresses - BlackBerryFAQ

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
elisherer

Model: ?
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks, but I've done all this. There are two main issues I'm dealing with (OK, 3, but they're bundled.

1) when the Blackberry receives a message, the message is marked as "read" in Outlook (webmail). This means that if I get 30 messages while I'm away from the computer, the computer shows all of them read because they've been sent to the BBry.

2) How can I sync my calendar and contacts without an Exchange Server? is this even possible, or do I need to sync with a USB cable every time (a pain when making changes throughout the day).

I currently have BIS data plan on the Blackberry, but with this new email, can I run BIS at the same time (I also have a couple of Gmail accounts running with no problem).

Thanks for all the input
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

2) usb cable.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
RBernier

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisherer View Post
Thanks, but I've done all this. There are two main issues I'm dealing with (OK, 3, but they're bundled.

1) when the Blackberry receives a message, the message is marked as "read" in Outlook (webmail). This means that if I get 30 messages while I'm away from the computer, the computer shows all of them read because they've been sent to the BBry.

2) How can I sync my calendar and contacts without an Exchange Server? is this even possible, or do I need to sync with a USB cable every time (a pain when making changes throughout the day).

I currently have BIS data plan on the Blackberry, but with this new email, can I run BIS at the same time (I also have a couple of Gmail accounts running with no problem).

Thanks for all the input
I can answer question 2 for you - there is a service called Nice Office that provides the benefits of an exchange server without the cost of a BES plan or the need for an exchange server. There is a free version and there is a premium version - (the application can be downloaded from App World). The URL to get more information is Nice Office. I am not associated with the company in any way, other than being a satisfied subscriber.
Closed Thread