Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Default Sprint BIS-Push Mail and syncing w/ Gmail and Hotmail

Please Login to Remove!

At least on initial testing, I notice a few disappointing things w/ my BB Mail - maybe I had too much high expectations using chattermail (w/ our Palm devices) and Seven (with our Windows Mobile devices)...I use setup accts on clients as IMAP if that's an option for me.

1) When we delete and email on our desktop, WHY doesn't it ever delete from the BB?

On the reverse direction, when I delete an email from the BB using "Delete on Mailbox and Handheld", I see the email is deleted from my Desktop

2) When I read an email on the desktop, why doesn't it update the email on the BB as such?

The same when I do it the other way around (read emails on BB)

3) why aren't email sent from my BB saved to my desktop's Sent box ? I can can the specific folder to save to on my Chattermail (and Seven too I think)

4) On performance - just a side note - even though it just maybe during my test this morning (saturday), but email generally show up on Chatter and Seven ALOT faster than on the BB. I though BB is true pushmail?

I may/will post as I find out more, but I am a bit short of time today

Is there a place where these sort of observations I've made are documented?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Those are the limitations of BB/IMAP.

All those issue's you mentioned have been discussed many times threwout the forums.

I believe this has to do with how BIS handles IMAP IDLE.. Not too sure on this subject.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Those are the limitations of BB/IMAP.

All those issue's you mentioned have been discussed many times threwout the forums.

I believe this has to do with how BIS handles IMAP IDLE.. Not too sure on this subject.
Funny, I just got hold of Sprint BB tech support - he says issue 1) is a known issue since four days ago...Some BB outage with Sprint

1) When we delete and email on our desktop, WHY doesn't it ever delete from the BB?

On my issue 3), he says it should work...maybe it's part of the outage, he thinks.

3) why aren't email sent from my BB saved to my desktop's Sent box ? I can can the specific folder to save to on my Chattermail (and Seven too I think)

Are you saying my observations for 1) and 3) are how BB works?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
That won't work, IMAP IDLE doesn't work like.. If you delete it form the web mail version it will delete from your BlackBerry, after a loong time.

I don't know what email your using but BIS 2.6 will improve Gmail IMAP, but not from your Desktop client.

Quote:
[I]On my issue 3), he says it should work...maybe it's part of the outage, he thinks.
I never heard of an outage.. Interesting..

Quote:
[I]3) why aren't email sent from my BB saved to my desktop's Sent box ? I can can the specific folder to save to on my Chattermail (and Seven too I think)
That will not work unless you are on BES, folder sync is not supported in BIS.

Quote:
Are you saying my observations for 1) and 3) are how BB works?
For BIS yes.

What email service are you using?

If you really require that functionality I would look for a hosted BES solution.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
buluks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z3
Carrier: Indosat

Check your reconciliation too.

1. Message > Options > Email Reconciliation > Delete on : Mailbox & Hand held
2. Message > Options > Email Reconciliation > Wireless Reconcile : on
Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by buluks View Post
Check your reconciliation too.

1. Message > Options > Email Reconciliation > Delete on : Mailbox & Hand held
2. Message > Options > Email Reconciliation > Wireless Reconcile : on
Yes - these are my settings. I think Steve is right (above), Yahoo supports two-way deletes but Gmail and Hotmail do not.

Can I run that Redirector tool on my home PC (it polls email every minute) in such a way that it fwds all emails to my BB? If I delete from the BB, it deletes from my home PC and in turn deletes on the server?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
SteveO86

Gmail will support 2 way sync from thier web interface once we go to BIS 2.6, but it will not sync from BB all the way threw to your Outlook client.

(If it was possible believe I would be doing it lol.)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Gizzy

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Yeah, it's not so much an issue with the phone as it is the communication between the mail servers and the phone. None of the phones on Sprint that I've had the pleasure of taking calls on have that kind of functionality, as far as I've seen. However, most of the people I,ve been dealing with recently don't even have access to a regular computer, and have been using the evil that is Yahoo as their mail mail...
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Wirelessly posted

Yeah, it's not so much an issue with the phone as it is the communication between the mail servers and the phone. None of the phones on Sprint that I've had the pleasure of taking calls on have that kind of functionality, as far as I've seen. However, most of the people I,ve been dealing with recently don't even have access to a regular computer, and have been using the evil that is Yahoo as their mail mail...
Maybe I can lend u one of our. Palm devices with chattermail and imap email accts. Or. Windows mobile with beta Seven email client and imap mail accts. Makes current bb email look a little 'foolish'.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
Gizzy

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Wirelessly posted

Maybe I can lend u one of our. Palm devices with chattermail and imap email accts. Or. Windows mobile with beta Seven email client and imap mail accts. Makes current bb email look a little 'foolish'.
Thanks, but I'll stick with my BB.
Closed Thread