BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #21
DonFL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Low vibrate is my single biggest complaint with the Bold. I have to back up vibrate with ring, otherwise I miss calls. My 8700 was much much better.

I'm thinking it is a hardware limitation due to size, but hoping it is maybe a reduced level of vibrate with power consumption in mind, and maybe it can be bumped up a bit with a software upgrade.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
whitecollar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: At&t US

I'm not really having a problem with this and I'm wondering if it's because of where I keep my bb or what case it's in. I can always feel in through it's case when I keep it in my pocket.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
Serkle K
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
post your own thread, and dont hijack another.

second, i have no problem with the vibrate on my bold. i dont have it in my pocket or on a belt clip, infact its rarely out of the charging pod.

i just put it on vibrate through the profile and put it on the desk, and its quite loud.
so im at a loss at to why so many people have a problem with it.
so many people have a problem with it because it is lacking in it's true functionality... to be notified by touch, not by sound. This was initially a concern to me also, but then I have gotten a bit used to how "soft" the vibration is. So now I tend to notice it better. Sometimes even when it didnt go off and there's nothing new, lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I used to have "phantom" vibrates on my Nokia. No, it was never vibrating, I just got used to the possiblity of it doing it, that I thought it was. lol

The softer the vibrate the less sound their actually would be placed on a desk; but regardless of the fact the vibrate is "loud" on the desk, I find it no worse than other phones ive had. Perhaps the BB's had better vibrates than all the others phones and so people with a bold now think it is weak; but in my experience my 2 motorolas, 2 nokias, and a sony ericsson had the same vibrate as my bold currently does and they are all quite noticable when in a pocket, in a charging pod, on a desk.

I simply wonder if its a difference between america/canadian models and those in the UK and/or Europe...

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
I used to have "phantom" vibrates on my Nokia. No, it was never vibrating, I just got used to the possiblity of it doing it, that I thought it was. lol

The softer the vibrate the less sound their actually would be placed on a desk; but regardless of the fact the vibrate is "loud" on the desk, I find it no worse than other phones ive had. Perhaps the BB's had better vibrates than all the others phones and so people with a bold now think it is weak; but in my experience my 2 motorolas, 2 nokias, and a sony ericsson had the same vibrate as my bold currently does and they are all quite noticable when in a pocket, in a charging pod, on a desk.

I simply wonder if its a difference between america/canadian models and those in the UK and/or Europe...

It's possible it's device based. My girlfriend's Pearl has a significantly stronger feel compared to my Bold.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
lagreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I agree with OP. Vibrate mode is overly soft. Comparing to Pearl this is nothing. I have started using Bold for past 2 days and noticed this. Maybe I'll get used to this after a while.

Years ago vibrate mode was from the type of battery used, is it still the case? If it is then how does Seidio batteries do with Bold?

Blackberry Bold on AT&T : 5.0.0.411
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #27
DonFL
Thumbs Must Hurt

My frame of reference is other phones, including non-BB, last BB being 8700. Not sure how you measure the intensity of vibrate, but I do see a delta. I've become more sensitive to it, but still, in order to not miss any vibe alerts, I need to follow up with sound when in holster. I'm using the original BB case that came with it-have not found anything else I really like, good vibe or not.

And yea, I fall victim to phantom vibes occasionally also..scary...
Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #28
lazmorph
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm View Post
What I want is a way to make it vibrate and ring as any other cell phone in the world!
(I know there's an app... but I'm not willing to pay, after paying US$550 for the device)
I agree with you on this one.
I would like the option to have the phone ring and vibrate at the same time.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
nwest33

I'm sure it has something to do with the frame of the Bold. The frame is metal. The other bbs are not made the same. Compared to a Pearl, they are heavier. I'm sure RIM may have the same vibration setup for most all the other BBs. Plastic tends to vibrate better than metals.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #30
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by svm View Post
What I want is a way to make it vibrate and ring as any other cell phone in the world!
(I know there's an app... but I'm not willing to pay, after paying US$550 for the device)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazmorph View Post
I agree with you on this one.
I would like the option to have the phone ring and vibrate at the same time.
Google "Buzz Me", it's a free app that allows this. I use it and it's great! only slight drawback is that if it's in vibrate profile, and you hit the mute button, it still vibrates. No a deal killer especially since it's free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwest33 View Post
I'm sure it has something to do with the frame of the Bold. The frame is metal. The other bbs are not made the same. Compared to a Pearl, they are heavier. I'm sure RIM may have the same vibration setup for most all the other BBs. Plastic tends to vibrate better than metals.
The Bold's bezel isn't metal, it's still plastic, coated silver. If it's ever scratched or dropped, it'll show black under the silver. The black bezels you can find on the net are just unpainted.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #31
Jay09

Model: 900
Carrier: ATT

I was excited about the possibility of using "BuzzMe" in vibrating mode only, but the weak vibrations persist. It appears that is designed for Vibration + tone mode. Am I missing something?

Jay
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #32
DonFL
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's how I understand it. It won't increase the vibe, just allows vibe plus tone.

I'm assuming the weak vibe is a mechanical issue, with maybe the possibility that the vibe device is not at full "vibe level" for the sake of power consumption? If so, that is something a software update may fix, if they wanted to, and if it was the case.

When you consider how thin the device is, compared to like an 8700, something has to give..
Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
Jay09

Model: 900

Thank you Don.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #34
Serkle K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay09 View Post
I was excited about the possibility of using "BuzzMe" in vibrating mode only, but the weak vibrations persist. It appears that is designed for Vibration + tone mode. Am I missing something?

Jay
Correct, BuzzMe, was suggested to those that were looking for an option to have Vibrate+Ring at simultaneously. It has nothing to do with the strength of the vibration.

Last edited by Serkle K; 03-02-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #35
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

When I have my Bold sitting in the OEM CRADLE CHARGER on top of my piano when it vibrates I can hear it vibrate all over the house! When it lies on my desk right next to me I can't hear it vibrate at all!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #36
Meyefull

Model: 9700
PIN: stack Sucks
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkle K View Post
Google "Buzz Me", it's a free app that allows this. I use it and it's great! only slight drawback is that if it's in vibrate profile, and you hit the mute button, it still vibrates. No a deal killer especially since it's free.
Is there a OTA download where I can get this right on my BB or.....???Im just at work so no time to google, would like to OTA download it

Last edited by Meyefull; 03-03-2009 at 09:13 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #37
whitecollar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: At&t US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyefull View Post
Is there a OTA download where I can get this right on my BB or.....???Im just at work so no time to google, would like to OTA download it

http://www.bigtincan.com/misc/BuzzMe.jad
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #38
stinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkle K View Post
Correct, BuzzMe, was suggested to those that were looking for an option to have Vibrate+Ring at simultaneously. It has nothing to do with the strength of the vibration.
This kind of makes the Buzzme app useless. I have downloaded it, but since the vibrate on the Bold sucks!, I still don't feel it. And since it takes up application memory while it's on, I disabled it. The people at RIM really screwed up with this vibrate setting. I've been missing phone calls and text messages even while I'm sitting down at work with my phone in my pocket.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #39
stinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
When I have my Bold sitting in the OEM CRADLE CHARGER on top of my piano when it vibrates I can hear it vibrate all over the house! When it lies on my desk right next to me I can't hear it vibrate at all!
I find that hard to believe. I can't feel this phone vibrate when I'm sitting down and it's in my pocket. I"m switching back to my Motorola Q9h. That phone had the best vibrate settings in the world. It rang and vibed at the same time, even for text and emails. I'm going to be using this piece of crap vibrate Bold strictly for email and internet.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
bimmerd00d
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Alltel

YouTube - IT Crowd Cell - Cell Phone ( Full )

totally related.
Closed Thread