BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Sig32
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default So what's the final verdict on spkr phone feedback?

Please Login to Remove!

I bought a refurbished Bold on Monday and upgraded to v4.6.0.216 that night. Over the last few days I noticed that when using speaker phone I get feedback only when I cover the speaker(s) with my hand/fingers.

Now I have read that some attribute the feedback to replacing the bezel (which I haven't done, yet) and some to the OS they are using. Since I never had a chance to "test" the phone with .167 that it came with, I was just wondering what the final verdict on the cause was? Is my phone defective, do I need to swap it out or change the OS on it? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
jimgior

Model: 900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig32 View Post
I bought a refurbished Bold on Monday and upgraded to v4.6.0.216 that night. Over the last few days I noticed that when using speaker phone I get feedback only when I cover the speaker(s) with my hand/fingers.

Now I have read that some attribute the feedback to replacing the bezel (which I haven't done, yet) and some to the OS they are using. Since I never had a chance to "test" the phone with .167 that it came with, I was just wondering what the final verdict on the cause was? Is my phone defective, do I need to swap it out or change the OS on it? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
small rubber piece missing if the bezel was replaced.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Sig32

Thanks for the reply. Since I have not changed the bezel, but it is a refurbished phone, is it possible that someone has taken it apart and didn't put all the parts back?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
BaRTiMuS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

It's quite possible. After I changed my bezel to black it seemed fine. Then After a while it started making that loud noise every time I put my hand near it. I finally gave up this past week and took it back apart, and transferred the little mesh bits across from the old bezel. I really didn't believe it would help but sure enough it fixed the problems completely.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

New Bold here, and it squeals if I hold my hands just right over the microphone and speaker when in speakerphone. My final verdict: it behaves just like I would expect any other microphone and speaker would when put face to face. It isn't a defect, and I don't believe it has anything to do with the operating system version or missing hardware bits specifically, although putting those hardware bits where they should be likely helps mask the feedback (otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place).

You can get any speaker to feedback when you force the audio to loop from the speaker to the microphone and back out of the speaker. It's not a big deal.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
4mynikka

Carrier: Rogers

I've had 7 Bolds, I switch phones a lot. 4 of the units had this problem
And the other 3 worked perfect, all had original bezels.
I think its a defect in the design.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

I have never had this issue using the phone. I only see this issue when I cover the mic and/or speaker when in speakerphone... which is something I wouldn't normally do. Maybe I just don't understand the big deal.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Sig32

Default It's the OS

Well, at least for me I can say with out a doubt that it is the OS. I just downgraded to v.167 and after several calls trying everything possible to get feedback I was unsuccessful. At least now I know that the phone is ok and I don't need to get it replaced, but I'll have to wait to see if they fix the feedback problem with a different OS version.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
IS300_TRD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Mesh check?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
alexvega
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold2
PIN: G.
Carrier: at&t, son.

mesh makes all the diff.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
rockinfigs

ok heres the low down.ive done alot of testing and figuring out why this problem exists....first if you have not changed ANYTHING on your phone and its stock and you get the speaker feedback then theres something wrong with your phone..it shouldnt do it at all if your phone is stock.

I changed my bezel to black and transfered everything over EXCEPT the two mesh. OK heres where it gets weird..with the new bezel and running .167(stock att os) i did NOT get the speaker feedbaclk when covering the speakers...onces i upgrade to any other OS i get the feedback. But again it was perfectly fine on .167...Now running on .210 i get the feedback..so from someones advice i transfered the two mesh..and what do you know..no feedback at all.

so bottom line...if you switched your bezel and you get feedback then make sure you transfer the rubber piece and TWO mesh screens..if you get feedback and your phone is stock...then theres soemthing wrong..go exchange it..its not normal like someone mentioned above.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Sig32

Ok, question. How can I prove there is something wrong with the phone if it only does it with an OS that voids the warranty (I think)? If I just walk in there and tell them that I have feedback , but it won't do it on OS .167, I can't show them. Like wise if I decide to take the bezel off to see if the "mesh" is missing and it is, I can't tell them that is what is causing the feedback because taking the phone apart voids warranty (I think). What should I do?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
DrJerry

Carrier: AT&T

When I moved over to the black bezel I tried to take the 2 mesh pieces off and trashed them in the process. I was getting some serious feedback...not just in speakerphone mode.
So...I took some red ribbon...the kind my wife uses to make bows for Christmas...and cut them to fit. I took some glue and stuck the two in place. Works like a charm...no feedback at all!

Last edited by DrJerry; 02-06-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Closed Thread