Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Bruce-YVR
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: FIDO
Default WiFi icon color change?

Please Login to Remove!

Just notice this... Got home and Bold auto connected to Home wireless network... i just noticed that the WiFi icon was bright white/black and then was changed to grey/black??? a minute or so... went back bright white color again.

I can only assume that when the WiFi icon is bright white color means connected to a wireless network... and when its grey color that means NOT connected??

Thanks

Bruce
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

black/white wifi logo means there is a connection to RIM data. Similar to EDGE/edge. Greyed out wifi logo means wifi is on but not picking up a network. Greyed out wifi logo with network name on the screen means connection to the network but no RIM connection (yet.)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Bruce-YVR
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
black/white wifi logo means there is a connection to RIM data. Similar to EDGE/edge. Greyed out wifi logo means wifi is on but not picking up a network. Greyed out wifi logo with network name on the screen means connection to the network but no RIM connection (yet.)
Thanks...xxx32422;xxx32752; LOL

Not too bad... who did the translation for ya
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

In my case for any version above .190 my wi-fi "light" was off (gray). Looking at the connection settings app there was a "dash" instead of a checkmark meaning there was no connection yet the SSID was on the screen. Funny thing was, Wi-Fi was working perfectly fine. I have a program that is set to ONLY works under wi-fi and it worked fine. When I turned off my wireless router wi-fi stopped working which proved I was using wi-fi and not edge. When the router was on I could see the Bold IP & MAC address as well as data moving both ways in the router software. Bottom line is, in versions above .190 when you think wi-fi isn't working, it may very well be.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
BigYellow

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

Easy way to tell is if you open the bb browser, at the top of the screen only the network type being used will show up. For me, since wifi is first and 3g is second on my priority list, if wifi is connected it'll show wifi at the top if I open a fresh browser session.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Where do you define the "priority list."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellow View Post
Wirelessly posted

Easy way to tell is if you open the bb browser, at the top of the screen only the network type being used will show up. For me, since wifi is first and 3g is second on my priority list, if wifi is connected it'll show wifi at the top if I open a fresh browser session.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
SeanK89
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 25618CB9
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default I had..

I had alot of problems with this, I sorted it in the end, just make sure you don't rush your BB, its like a woman, you've got to treat it right
Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
In my case for any version above .190 my wi-fi "light" was off (gray). Looking at the connection settings app there was a "dash" instead of a checkmark meaning there was no connection yet the SSID was on the screen. Funny thing was, Wi-Fi was working perfectly fine. I have a program that is set to ONLY works under wi-fi and it worked fine. When I turned off my wireless router wi-fi stopped working which proved I was using wi-fi and not edge. When the router was on I could see the Bold IP & MAC address as well as data moving both ways in the router software. Bottom line is, in versions above .190 when you think wi-fi isn't working, it may very well be.
You can easily have a wifi connection and have internet, etc. without a bold wifi logo. However, if the wifi logo is not bold you won't get any BlackBerry specific data. You won't get email, pin, etc. Your apps that use just the basic wifi connection may work, though.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that .... then what would cause that to happen? It is definately software revision related. As soon as I install any version (release OR beta) above .190 this continually happens, even from a wiped "fresh" install of the O/S.
Quote:
You can easily have a wifi connection and have internet, etc. without a bold wifi logo. However, if the wifi logo is not bold you won't get any BlackBerry specific data. You won't get email, pin, etc. Your apps that use just the basic wifi connection may work, though.
Closed Thread