BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 10-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile
Default Monaco Apex Hydro (foam) 8700 Case

Please Login to Remove!

Received this case yesterday from Blackberryden.com. I think I paid $36 with 2nd day shipping.

I haven't had time to take pictures yet...it looks quite similar to the Milante foam case 6 month review that was just posted. Here is the link for stock pictures:

Blackberry Cases - Monaco Apex Hydro 8700 Case - Black w/Sleeper

I ordered this case along with the Rim leather vertical case for comparison. Material wise, this case does not have the quality feel of the Rim leather case but the quality still seems to be more then acceptable. BB slides in and out easily and it is more protected then in the Rim version...even though the Rim case has a full flap. When the BB is in the Monaco case, the top of the case slight closes over the top of the BB for a very secure feel.

So far, the sleeper function works perfectly and the cut out on the back for the speaker is a nice touch.

My only complaint about it in comparison to the Rim case is the clip. The clip is again similar to the one I saw on the Milante case but more of a suede finish. It does rotate with a ratchet mechanisim. The ratchet feater is quite as strong as on the Rim case so it tends to twist a little more if sitting for example..although this might actually be good. It doesn't feel quite as secure on my belt as either of my Rim cases...not that it feels like it will fall of but just that it would take quite as much knocking around as the Rim case before it got bumped off your belt...and wearing it with jeans and no belt it has a very wobbly feel where the Rim case felt pretty secure.

Overall though, I think I will use this case more because it protects the BB better and has a slightly "slimmer" feel while wearing it.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

thanks for the review. I am in the process of looking for a case, and this one seems like I might like it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
NJBB

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

How would you rate this case now that you have had it for some time now?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #4
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

After using it for a few days I am still happy with it...the only issue I have found is if you accidentally put the BB in backwards (screen facing in) it doesn't put it to sleep and the case is tight enough to push buttons...was in a rush a few times and didn't pay attention to how I slid it back in and had it redialing my last calls.

No issues with the clip at all...I though it might be a little loose but it is fine and actually pretty low profile so confortable to wear. The one thing I discoverd I can't do is clip it to the overhead visor in the car...it is too tight to get it slid on far enough to be secure. The BB case will do that no problem. Not a big deal however.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
FroogleThis

Thank's for the update orbitz.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
NJBB

Thanks for the update, I just placed an order for one.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
NJBB

Thumbs up

Just recieved the case, it has a magnet so that the BB can face either way but I do find if I have it facing outward, speaker lined up with speaker hole, the magnet is a bit out of alignment but no biggie as I like to have it face me. Other than that I'm liking the case, feels solid and holds the BB tight!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
FroogleThis

I received mine, and if I don't put the 8700c in a quarter-inch above the bottom, the sleeper magnet doesn't work. Fun for me, but I'll go ahead with the Cingular 8700c case.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
parenthetical guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: :reirraC

I almost bought this for my 8700g. I didn't because the cutout on the back didn't look like it would fit with the shield speaker on the g.

I liked the way this case wraps around the top of the BB. I ended up buying the OEM hydrofoam case. Th OEM case lets the BB slide in and out nicely, but when in the horizontal position, I would have liked some more coverage to prevent those unintended slideouts. My BB took a spill the other day as it slid out using the OEM case.

Does this Monaco case cup the BB at the top like the photo implies?

PG
Old 01-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
moonbaseone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 20DC81B8
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBB
Just recieved the case, it has a magnet so that the BB can face either way but I do find if I have it facing outward, speaker lined up with speaker hole, the magnet is a bit out of alignment but no biggie as I like to have it face me. Other than that I'm liking the case, feels solid and holds the BB tight!!!
This is for the Monaco Apex Hydro right?
So, have they updated this case and put magnets on both the front and the back, just incase you put in in the wrong way?

It looks like a nice case and I actually like the beltclip.

FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource.