Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:25 PM   #21
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

My gf hates the Blackberry. But I love my Blackberry so she has to learn to cope.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #22
Michbb

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FAA477
Carrier: Tmo

My gf hates it... I originally bought it to have the net with me where ever I am and now I added work to it.... So yes it's invaded my life and she doesn't appreciate it. So when does the 8700 come out??? She's gonna hate it even more
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #23
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

I own my own business so my Blackberry is my "Social Life".

Not many things more important than the company.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #24
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
... The interesting part is where people's personal life (email, IM, cell calls) ends up encroaching on their personal life (in other words, good old face-to-face), IMO.
I'm leaning more on disagreeing here.. It's really how you use it, and what your environment is like. I travel quite a bit, and when I'm not travelling, I work from home. What the blackberry does, is that on my days working at home, I can actually go out (have lunch at the park with my kids, or run errands), but still be connected to work. I get more social time back with the blackberry than without. For example, instead of saying "no kids, daddy is in the home office and is working, we'll go to the park on Saturday" I can instead say, "sure why not?" and grab the bb. I think it also has alot to do with your corporate culture. My company provides extensive services through the BB.. I can get corporate mail, calendar, instant messages, etc. through the BES and other services.

It also allows me to be proactive on "critical" emails. Yes, it's a con that on the weekends, I do check email on the bb, but I only respond to the ones that are of utmost urgency (costing the company thousands if not millions of dollars). All other responses can wait till Monday..
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #25
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by teskew
This is how I know I have a problem....sometimes I hit the space bar on the computer twice thinking that the period will magically appear like it does on my BB....haha

When i'm typing on my computer with one hand, i hold down the key to make it capital and nothing happens!! What a habit!

Haha
Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #26
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
I'm leaning more on disagreeing here.. It's really how you use it, and what your environment is like. I travel quite a bit, and when I'm not travelling, I work from home. What the blackberry does, is that on my days working at home, I can actually go out (have lunch at the park with my kids, or run errands), but still be connected to work. I get more social time back with the blackberry than without. For example, instead of saying "no kids, daddy is in the home office and is working, we'll go to the park on Saturday" I can instead say, "sure why not?" and grab the bb. I think it also has alot to do with your corporate culture. My company provides extensive services through the BB.. I can get corporate mail, calendar, instant messages, etc. through the BES and other services.

It also allows me to be proactive on "critical" emails. Yes, it's a con that on the weekends, I do check email on the bb, but I only respond to the ones that are of utmost urgency (costing the company thousands if not millions of dollars). All other responses can wait till Monday..
Great points! We work under similar conditions and your examples of how the BB actually provides you MORE social time really fit my lifestyle, as well.

I'm usually only home on Friday and the weekends, so it is very important to me that I am able to take my daughter to school and pick her up after. I also like to spend some one-on-one time with her after school, if possible. The BB allows me to do this without having to completely sluff off work responsibilities.

I also use the BB to manage my personal life, as well (tasks, appointments, etc).
Old 03-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #27
TheWastedYears

Model: Pearl

I'd say it's helped my social life. If I'm waiting on a couple important emails, I no longer have to sit near a computer to receive them.

Nextel 7520 | BES 4.0 | HS810 Headset
PIN: 400809E0

"a One that isn't cold is scarcely a One at all"
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #28
jscully

Model: 9530
PIN: 3066853A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

It has increased my "social life"...I'm not in front of a computer, or running to dial-up and download my e-mail all of the time (the joys of living in the Country).
I only boot up the computer when I really need to, and am never worrying about those messages that I'm waiting for on the 1hour commute home...
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #29
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Talking

I can pack lighter! No lap top, just the 7130e w/ EVDO attached to the hip ...
Socially, gee lets see since I'm 21 most people my age unless they are in the biz world understand the need for email on the go. I love it for directions and so does everyone when we get lost etc. movie times yada yada. The only negative is with females. They hate the idea of getting emails all the time, SO i just say it's a text message from one of my friends
Old 03-29-2006, 02:55 AM   #30
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Anything work related that you take with you outside of the work place carries the risk of leaking in to your social life and it's down to you as a user to pemit or deny it doing so. Whether or not you'll respond to work stuff outside of your business hours is really down to the type of person you are, whether you like your job enough to bother responding out of work time and whether you feel you get paid enough to do so - I like what I do and it doesn't bother me if I get emails out of work. I have certain systems which run automated reports for me at various times such as weekends - if I don't get those email reports then I know something's wrong with my network, so there are benefits there.

In my mind if I get an email at 10pm which I can deal with in a few minutes then it's a worth while investment in time, as it's something I won't need to think about dealing with when I walk through the door at 9am the next morning! As for my girlfriend, she's never been bothered with any of my technology as long as she can lie in bed on a Saturday morning reading her email on a WiFi PSP web browserl!!!!!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:56 AM   #31
hbomb341
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: AT&T

I guess to know if my Blackberry invaded my social life, you first would have to assume I had a social life. Being a computer dork from 3 up to now 22 and I am confident I will be till the day I die or go blind looking at the screen. By some random fluke in the space time continuum I meet my wife (YES, the first time we meet I was fixing her computer). But she has a Blackberry for Personal use and I use mine for work and communication with her while traveling. I do admit I Blackberry Message my wife more then call her or maybe even talk to her in person. There has been time we both have laid in bed typing E-mails to people from our Blackberryxxx8217;s. So in short xxx8230; YES it has affected my social life.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #32
SMorganPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscully
It has increased my "social life"...I'm not in front of a computer, or running to dial-up and download my e-mail all of the time (the joys of living in the Country).
I only boot up the computer when I really need to, and am never worrying about those messages that I'm waiting for on the 1hour commute home...
I was wondering who sent me a myspace request, lol.

Anyways, I work for a company some of you may have heard of, Electronic Data Systems (EDS). I work helpdesk for the NMCI network. I wanted to move cell companies and get something new. I fell for the Blackberry, and at the same time, knowing the Blackberry has openned up some great opportunities. Do I depend on it for work, not yet. But it has helped me at work. I have been here for 4 months and will be gaining a position as Blackberry Subject Matter Expert (SME). At the same time I am interviewing for a Tech Lead and Knowledge Center Admin. Not to shabby. Wouldn't have happened if other agents didn't come to me for questions. It put me in the eye of my supervisors.

But, my girlfriend still hates it. HAHA

Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #33
xbubbax

Model: 7100i

gotta have toys at work, how will you get though the day.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #34
SMorganPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbubbax
gotta have toys at work, how will you get though the day.
www.blackberryforums.com

Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #35
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

My blackberry decides my social life.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #36
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

I have to add that one feature I would like to see RIM add as an option to the next blackberry is a breathalizer.

Similar to in car breath alcohol analyzers that DUI/DWI frequent offenders are required to install in their cars (you have to blow into the machine to start your car so that you can't drive drunk), I would like to see an analyzer which prevents me from sending emails, SMS' or making any calls other than to a taxi company when I've had one (or twelve) too many.

Is that so much to ask?
Old 03-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #37
TechKnowBabble
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto
I have to add that one feature I would like to see RIM add as an option to the next blackberry is a breathalizer.

Similar to in car breath alcohol analyzers that DUI/DWI frequent offenders are required to install in their cars (you have to blow into the machine to start your car so that you can't drive drunk), I would like to see an analyzer which prevents me from sending emails, SMS' or making any calls other than to a taxi company when I've had one (or twelve) too many.

Is that so much to ask?

hahhahahhaa...that is TOO FUNNY. Anything is possible nowadays
Old 03-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #38
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneToronto

Is that so much to ask?
Why it does have one.. Just put the upper part of the blackberry in your mouth and blow. If nothing happens, you're fine/sober.. Just remember, the next time you have 12 or 20 too many, blow on it (just make sure you have friends around with camera phones..)

Too funny!! Just kidding by the way..
Old 03-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #39
Eddie8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 317eec66

I'm sorry...I'm a crackberry.I use it for business,pleasure and everything in between. It controls my life.......and I.............like it!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #40
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Why it does have one.. Just put the upper part of the blackberry in your mouth and blow. If nothing happens, you're fine/sober.. Just remember, the next time you have 12 or 20 too many, blow on it (just make sure you have friends around with camera phones..)

Too funny!! Just kidding by the way..
What happens if I've got a little too much EtOH on my breath? Does alcohol and blackberry mix? ugh. I see a small explosion in my future if I follow this guy's advice.