Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
Berrial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Pushing 3rd Party Apps

Please Login to Remove!

I went through about 20 pages of forums but I wasnt able to find what I am looking for. I hope I am in the right forum; I am trying to setup pushing apps to devices. I have this one app MREMM app that I am trying to push to my device wirelessly. I looked through blackberry.com and found the article to setup software configuration here: KB03748. I set it up like it said and everything looks alright but I look to the device and it says configuration OK and it says Install required. The device never receives the app. I then did a wire install by downloading the files to a desktop. I installed in and when I went to go open it, it gave me an error of module trying to access secure API. I look up the error code and it says I need to get some signing keys to run the application. After doing more research, I get to where it says I need to download Eclipse, device simulators and to download this program and that but I think thats for writing applications, not installing them.

If anyone can help me, it would be great.
GroupWise 4.1.7 Bundle 116. Pushing to a Bold with updated OS and device software 5.0.0.822
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Pushing 3rd Party Apps

That KB does describe the process. I suggest posting this question in the BES Administrator portion of the forum, or consider reading this: KB03748 - How to wirelessly deploy third-party applications to BlackBerry smartphones - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
Old 02-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Dougsg38p
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700

Also, if you are getting "module attempts to access secure API", then the application is not signed and cannot be deployed on the device. You'll need to sign the COD files, or go back to the developer to have this done.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Berrial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsg38p View Post
Also, if you are getting "module attempts to access secure API", then the application is not signed and cannot be deployed on the device. You'll need to sign the COD files, or go back to the developer to have this done.
Do you know of a KB article or can tell me how to do that? I tried looking through articles to figure out how to do it but its telling me to write code and download like 10 programs.

DJM - The KB article you speak of is the same article I posted in my original post but ill try the other forum out, I didnt know which one I should post to.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Dougsg38p

You need to install the Blackberry SDK. and apply to obtain the keys, in order to use the signature tool.

The tools and the keys are free.

Why don't you just go back to the developer?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Berrial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Because I am just a kid in a lonely world trying to figure this all out. Company said put this software on and I said Ill try... I remember seeing something about the SDK and signing up for the keys so I will check that out again. I will also check with the developer as well.

Thank you for your guidance.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Dougsg38p

And your company has a BES server? Don't you have a BES administrator?

Here is the link to the RIM Java developer resource site:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...java_dev%40tkb

Anyway, if your app uses "restricted" API's, then it must be signed. This is just common-sense security. Your developer should know this, and he should have signed the build after he completed it.

This brings me to yet another issue: if the app is not signed, then it was apparently never tested on a device. Are you sure you want to push it to your company's users?

Just some friendly advice: stop and re-evaluate what you are doing here. If your developer didn't have the sense to sign & test the app, get someone else to take a look at it.

Last edited by Dougsg38p; 02-24-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Berrial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
And your company has a BES server? Don't you have a BES administrator?

Here is the link to the RIM Java developer resource site:

Java Development - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Anyway, if your app uses "restricted" API's, then it must be signed. This is just common-sense security. Your developer should know this, and he should have signed the build after he completed it.

This brings me to yet another issue: if the app is not signed, then it was apparently never tested on a device. Are you sure you want to push it to your company's users?

Just some friendly advice: stop and re-evaluate what you are doing here. If your developer didn't have the sense to sign & test the app, get someone else to take a look at it.
Well I am not a kid, it was more of a jokingly comment. I am the blackberry administrator, just getting into the field and normally we wouldnt push apps to the phone, in my environment we just lock the phone down and give it to the user. Bossman asked if we could use this app on a couple of users devices, we do not have a developer to sign and test apps, that is sorta what I am trying to do here with trying to get the signing keys. I have tried to contact the developer of the software I downloaded from their website about the issue but I have not received a response back. I am trying to do research and test it with the simulator and a test device before I attempt to send it out on our users. In the simulator I can load it up fine with no API issues. I just have to wait for a response from the developer.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Dougsg38p

The simulator does not enforce security, the device does.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Berrial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The simulator does not enforce security, the device does.
Yes, that was my assumption, was just stating the fact because loading it up in the simulator was the first time i actually saw the software.
Closed Thread