Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
dathrilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange CH
Default Bold battery life - charging time

Please Login to Remove!

I know the battery life is weak given the 3G and etc and applications running in the background...

But how long does is take to charge your bold? Mines stay in for hours until its charged and when its charged its drops around 5% after 30 min...

I dont think this is normal...

Any ideas?

(I still have no maps btw)
Old 10-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
AvinThat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone UK

What operating version are you using? I'm using the one that was posted here on Orange France (v.147). This one seems to be pretty good compared to the one I started with from the shop. Battery now charges quicker(I say 'quick' - nowhere near a sonyericsson/nokia, more like a motorola) and discharges slower.

Maps, go to your BIS website for your carrier. Login and resend your service books. This is what I had to do on Orange UK. It worked after that.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #3
dathrilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

well my current operating system is: v4.6.0.126 - kernel v3.8.5.48, branding version 1.0.130.48 (i think its swisscom - while im on orange).

Any one can decipher the above and comment on it? Its swisscom right? I should reinstall Orange CH version correct?

Regarding the maps, i tried resending the service multiple times with no luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
AvinThat

Carrier: Vodafone UK

I'm not sure what's to 'decipher'. I'm on Orange in the UK. I'm using the software from a post on this forum that is v4.6.0.147 that was available from the Orange network in France on Blackberry's site. There have been newer versions of the OS posted since.

No clue about the maps then. Contact the service provider I guess.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathrilla View Post
well my current operating system is: v4.6.0.126 - kernel v3.8.5.48, branding version 1.0.130.48 (i think its swisscom - while im on orange).

Any one can decipher the above and comment on it? Its swisscom right? I should reinstall Orange CH version correct?

Regarding the maps, i tried resending the service multiple times with no luck!
This means you're on .126 OS. People on here have reported quite a few issues with this - so I think its safe to say everyone would recommend upgrading to .162 (see thread at the top of this board).
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
dt37dt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I noticed that it charges twice as fast when plugged into the mains instead of to the Computer USB
Old 10-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #7
dathrilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37dt View Post
I noticed that it charges twice as fast when plugged into the mains instead of to the Computer USB
I think your right...i noticed a difference there too!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
asteele
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

The mains charger provides more power than the USB... USB is just a trickle charge.
btw, with Lithium batteries (such as with the Bold and almost all other new toys these days) - the best way to look after the battery is to make sure that when you start charging, you keep charging until the battery is fully charged. Sometimes it can not be helped, but try not to interrupt the charging unless you can help it. Just my $.02 worth!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
inmortalis

Model: 9000
PIN: 20787FC9
Carrier: movistar

I have the same problem! i probe with various OS 147 162 and 167, and is the same, every 30 min discharge 5%.

Help!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #10
Katharina

Model: 9000
Carrier: t-mobile

well, then I am lucky with my bold lasting about 24 hours with normal use (instant-messenger, about an hour on the phone).
I also heard from others that their bold lasts about 3 to 4 days, never got mine to last that long...
my OS is .162
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

Let me get definitive about charging BlackBerry batteries - got this from a top-tier tech who looked it up for me. (We published this in early October; permission granted to extract to FAQ or other useful purpose).

Special Report: Charger math

Scanning the online forums, we see tons of questions involving various kinds of chargers for handheld gear. With the BlackBerry as our established “poster child” for such gear, we can be very specific about its hungers. Like many other devices, a BlackBerry expects to see a fairly well regulated 5VDC source appear at its mini-5 USB connector (or alternatively, at charging studs on its case, placed there for compatibility with drop-in docks). The standard rating for a USB port is 5VDC at 500mA current, but many ports deliver less. In the case of a BlackBerry, driver software helps assure that system USB ports will deliver to that 500mA spec (there’s no assurance possible for ports on hubs, especially unpowered hubs). Recharge-time specs are based on that 500mA current availability; indeed, a BlackBerry can recharge with as little as 100mA available, though it will take considerably longer. The AC charger that comes with a BlackBerry is rated to deliver 750mA, which makes recharge times even faster. The handset itself is capable of ingesting up to 1600mA (1.6A); at that rate, a typical 2-hour recharge from near empty may complete in about 45 minutes. (Note that you can have a power source rated for more, but that the handset will limit its own consumption to 1600mA max). So what kinds of chargers can you use to recharge such a handset? Anything with USB-spec wiring that delivers 5VDC at 100mA or more will work to some degree; with anything bigger, charging happens faster. Those power sources can be AC or DC adapters, secondary battery storage, fuel cells, generators or just about anything that can source the juice. Check the ratings on any collection of wall warts or car lighter adapters to determine those you favor for specific applications, even if they came with some other piece of gear; likewise, you can charge other USB mini-5 rechargeables with chargers built for a BlackBerry. That’s one reason we keep contributing to our box of chargers even when we throw the rest of old gear away. Now, when somebody you reach sends you a question about all of this, you can get a charge out of sending them a definitive answer.