Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Problems with App World?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having a couple of problems using AppWorld...I'm hoping someone might have some info or insights...

This is happening on the old version of App World as well as the latest version. I get an AppWorld notice that there is an upgrade to one of my apps [One Touch Flashlight, for example]. I attempt to download the upgrade and enter my Blackberry ID, and then I'm informed that the upgrade isn't available through AppWorld. Does AppWorld issue upgrade notices but not actually support them?

On a related note, I cannot log into PayPal via Blackberry...there seems to be a password problem but I _know_ my password is okay...I can log in with the same password from my desktop, and I use cut-and-paste to enter it on my BB.

Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm...141 views so far and no comments??

It may be a PayPal problem. It turns out that you have to go onto the PayPal site and set up mobile payments. I'm trying to do this, but for some reason PayPal isn't sending me the SMS message with an authorizing PIN.

Ongoing... [Is there any software or interactive website IN THE WORLD that issues useful, meaningful error messages??]
Old 08-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

As far as app world, it seems it can be flakey sometimes. That's the only way I know to put it.

On the trouble logging in to paypal from the blackberry browser, did you try the usual trouble shooting techniques: clear browser cache, hard reset?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post

Ongoing... [Is there any software or interactive website IN THE WORLD that issues useful, meaningful error messages??]
I paste the error message into Google and let it do the work for me. Can generally get a few hits (or more) on most any error message.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
As far as app world, it seems it can be flakey sometimes. That's the only way I know to put it.

On the trouble logging in to paypal from the blackberry browser, did you try the usual trouble shooting techniques: clear browser cache, hard reset?
Yes...however I am attempting to hook up AppWorld with Paypal, so I can install the FREE upgrades to a couple of my paid apps. Apparently the system is so secure that it is unuseable...at least by me.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
I paste the error message into Google and let it do the work for me. Can generally get a few hits (or more) on most any error message.
I'm not saying there's no way of figuring it out...only that you need a high level of analytical skill to do so.

So far I have figured out that 1] Paypal requires something called 'premium texting' on my cell service to send me an SMS message. 2] the CSR at Bell has no idea what that is...they only offer one level of text support, and I have it. It also appears that the Bell CSR doesn't know what PayPal is, as he advised me against 'third-party payment systems' that may charge $5-10 per payment.

I'm going to try again and see if I can find a Bell CSR that knows what PayPal is
Old 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I had trouble yesterday logging into app world. I hadn't used it much since upgrading and creating a blackberry ID and thought maybe I didn't remember my password correctly, so I tried resetting my password. The web page to reset my password kept giving me an error, then switched from English to French, then locked me out for 2 hours that turned into all day. My point is it may not be you.

When you upgraded and created your blackberry ID, did that at least go successfully, and did you link your account to paypal at that point?

And can you log into my world?

If you are using the new app world and you log into my world, it will group your apps into those intalled, those you have downloaded and later removed, and those you've downloaded before but are unavailable (such as not supported on the device you are using).

I don't know if the current app world lists all apps in the store even including apps that are not supported on your model. I do know the old version listed an app I had bought on my 8820 that is not supported on the 9700 and/or OS 5.

EDIT: I think I may have assumed too much. You didn't/don't actually have the paypal account yet, is that it, and that's where the problem is, dealing with paypal?

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-28-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I had trouble yesterday logging into app world. I hadn't used it much since upgrading and creating a blackberry ID and thought maybe I didn't remember my password correctly, so I tried resetting my password. The web page to reset my password kept giving me an error, then switched from English to French, then locked me out for 2 hours that turned into all day. My point is it may not be you.

When you upgraded and created your blackberry ID, did that at least go successfully, and did you link your account to paypal at that point?

And can you log into my world?

If you are using the new app world and you log into my world, it will group your apps into those intalled, those you have downloaded and later removed, and those you've downloaded before but are unavailable (such as not supported on the device you are using).

I don't know if the current app world lists all apps in the store even including apps that are not supported on your model. I do know the old version listed an app I had bought on my 8820 that is not supported on the 9700 and/or OS 5.

EDIT: I think I may have assumed too much. You didn't/don't actually have the paypal account yet, is that it, and that's where the problem is, dealing with paypal?

Okay...when I upgraded and created my BB ID, it went okay, but I was unable to log onto PayPal, despite a lot of care and caution in entering my already-established PayPal login ID and password. This is where the problem started.

I _can_ log onto My World, and this is where I see the notice of the upgrades available. I thought that perhaps I needed some kind of payment account for AppWorld, so I entered a credit card number, but no dice. I'm still getting the blockheaded message that the app is not available for download, etc. I am now working on the assumption that PayPal is not the root of the problem (although I have determined that there are problems there too...however I am assured that I do not need PayPal to use AppWorld). I have deleted and reinstalled the latest AppWorld, to no effect.

The apps I'm concerned about is the One Touch Flashlight and Personal Assistant Premium, both of which worked just fine on my 9700. I deleted the flashlight app and tried to reinstall from scratch, but that didn't work either...and now I'm without a paid-for app. I'm not going to fool around with Personal Assistant because I use it a lot, and so far it's still working fine.

I went on the RIM support forums and there were a few suggestions, but it seems to me that quite a few people are having the same or similar problems and there is no real solution offered. A lot of the advice there is based on the earlier version of AppWorld, so it really isn't helpful. IMHO AppWorld is broken in some fundamental way for a significant number of people...is there somewhere we can put in an official bug report to RIM...and maybe get an official answer? I'm using the [almost] latest hardware, with the latest OS and the latest version of AppWorld....and this garbage is going on. Something just ain't right.

Last edited by DaveTheA; 08-31-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Still going on? I was expecting it to be something that would work out on its own.

The only suggestion I have -- and it isn't an answer, but maybe a workaround -- is to see if there is a download directly from the developer's or vendor's web site. Or, you could contact the developer and ask if they have some information, or suggestions.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
leifandmindy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I really dislike the new appworld. My account for my 9630 works great and I can log into it from my phone and my wife's 9650. It will try to associate her PIN a a replacement to mine but it will log in fine. Her account is hosed some how. We can't log in on her phone or mine. Says Blackberry App World is having trouble connecting to the Blackberry App World server. Verify your network connections and try again. It does this on her phone and mine but my account will log in fine on both phones. I can log in to it on the PC so I know the password and username are correct. All I can think of is that she didn't have a PayPal account when setting up. Any ideas how to fix?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Fixed it!!

Owing to a suggestion I got on another forum here, I created a new BlackBerry ID user name, with my old email address, password and PayPal ID and password.

It worked...I have successfully downloaded the stalled apps and all is well. I don't know if this is the answer for everybody having problems connecting to App World, but this is what worked for me.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Thank you for sharing your success. I am still finding my ability to log in to App World has hit or miss so do not excited too fast

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodacom
Default Re: Problems with App World?

I upgraded Appworld from version 1.1 to version 2., and getting the same cant connect to server issue. I dont have paypal account, but it worked fine before.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #14
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vodacom

I solved "cannot connect to blackberry server" issue on my phone. If i remember correctly when i created appworld uer id, i chose a name and password. However when i upgraded to version i created another id but this time they asked me to choose and answer a secret question. I don't remember been asked this before but anyway im back online in appworld. This is my first blackberry thus i'm not sure if the secret question was asked because of previous id or it's new process in version 2. I'm posting this so that others who cannot connect after upgrading to new version of appworld should try this route as it it may be the solution.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
rooknoodeen

Carrier: 8520

My blackberry ID doesn't want to log in
Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
rooknoodeen

Carrier: 8520

How to get the old app world
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
tonykilian

Carrier: Vodacom

my 9700 updated to OS 6... also could not get access to app world so i created a new ID via the site... this gave me access on the 9700 to app world however it now says the update to app world and messenger is not available ... but the phone says update is available?? i get access and asks to download but the phone then says "not available for download from blackberry app world" anyone have a solution?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
crystalmoneybaba

Carrier: Curve

I need app world
Closed Thread