Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
pallavik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default OS 4.5 shy Vodafone Live! browser

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone, here I go again with my browser woes. Before I even start describing the problem I'd like to clarify once more that I haven't got a BB data plan but just a generic one which I have had for years and worked well with all my previous non-BB handsets.

Here's the snag: my 8820 was originally locked to the Orange UK network but it's been long since unlocked for use with any SIM from other networks which I need as over every twelve months period I regularly go through a minimum of three different countries' SIMs depending on where I am based. I have been running for years a pay monthly Vodafone UK SIM which works fine with the device and regardless of what a lot of people state on a lot of posts I can both surf the net with my Vodafone Live! browser including downloading third party apps OTA - not only using the wi-fi connections but using the gprs connections in the UK and abroad - and use the handset as a tethered/bluetooth modem for my personal laptop.

I have upgraded to OS 4.5 three times so far and always come back to the original OS 4.2.2.338: the first two times it was beta 4.5 OS's, this last time it was an official release from Orange UK - 4.5.0.75 - but regardless of which one I have been installing the end result has been that I lost the Vodafone Live! icon and have been left with the wi-fi only BB browser. Upon going back to OS 4.2 the Vodafone Live! browser has regularly come back to the fold; similarly and matching the disappearance of the Voda Live! browser the service books on the device have gone down from 6 under OS 4.2 to 2 only under OS 4.5 with only the wi-fi browser service books staying on the device when I upgrade. Anyone would happen to have any suggestion as to why these service books seem to vary in number depending on the OS I have installed? I don't see an awful lot of extra features in OS 4.5 for my 8820 - have no camera so the extra functionality for the camera has no use on my device - only the presence of "Documents To Go" is a nice add-on; I still would like having the latest OS installed but clearly not at the price of losing some of its functionality.

Any contribution greatly appreciated,

Piero
Closed Thread