BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
OzzMata

Model: 8700c
Default Outlook Address List

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys. We just recently set up BES and now i'm playing around with these phones (8700c), so please forgive my noobiness. The phone syncs up fine with my email and personal contact list. My question is there a way to import the company address list from outlook? For example we have a gobal address list and local lists.

Second: I'm trying to orgainize the address book in the phone. I've made a new group and added members to the group. The problem is the members i've just added are still on the main address book page. If I delete them from there, they are also deleted from the new address group I've just added them to. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to keep the contacts in groups instead of having one long list 1000+ address.

Thanks for help!

Ozz
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I don't know anything about how to set it up on the BES side but does the handheld have the "lookup" feature? In address book, click the wheel and select Lookup. You can then look up on the global address book. You'll need GPRS or EDGE to have it in the menu. If it's not there then there's probably something in the BES to turn it on.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
OzzMata

Yeah I've seen the Lookup feature searching the gobal address list, but the problem with that is some entries will find in 20-30 results (i.e. searching for john smith).

Another problem I'm running into also is our sales reps have 100's of contacts not in our gobal address list and want to organize the address book by folders. As I meantioned, I can create address groups on the phone but the main address page still contains all the contacts along with the address groups. If i delete any entries from the main page they are also deleted within the groups. Not sure how to get around that.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I don't think there is a way around that. Anyway, to answer your original post, they'll need to use GAL lookup. If you're getting too many lookup results then you should probably find a way to distinguish the GAL entries apart from each other.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
mebiuspower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: Rogers

You can certain save contacts individually from the GAL to the user's addressbook, but by doing that if the contacts in GAL gets updated, the contacts in the user's addressbook will be instantly out of date.

If the lookup shows 20-30 results that's actually not that bad. I've done lookup searches that comes up with close to 200 results, imagine trying to scroll thru that.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
OzzMata

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out GAL lookup.

And yeah mebiuspower scrolling through many search results is what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Andi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Using Look up with GAL you can type in Jsmith (or how your email address are set), Smith, J or the full name to shorten the list you have to search through
Closed Thread