BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
jqueen01

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

How do you clear the phone logs if you are using a BES server?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
deltaecho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqueen01 View Post
How do you clear the phone logs if you are using a BES server?
Check this article out: View Document
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #23
carrot63

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange UK

I thought my experiences with this might be of some use, as it fits in with some of the comments above.

I have a new 8900 (< 1 month old) and came across this quite a lot when I first started using it. I don't sync with a PC, so I was adding new contacts by hand over the period of a week or so, and making /recieving calls from them. Each case needed a battery removal to fix. I didn't initially peg it to call logs ( till latest iteration today), but it happened, for example, when using a GPS app (Orange maps, Google maps) to get a postcode from contacts to look up the location.

Didn't have it again for 2 or 3 weeks till today. I received a couple of missed calls from a number I didn't recognise, and copy/pasted the number from the call log into the space which usually shows numbers dialed manually, adding the prefix 141 (UK method of preventing caller ID sending for that call). After calling I add the number to contacts from the call log, and got the error on saving the contact.

In light of what's been said above, I am guessing that saving the contact meant the device tried to update the call log to reflect the new contact name, triggering the error. Prior to creating the contact, the individual call log for that number contained BOTH versions of the number (with and without 141 prefix) which may have been seen as/caused corruption. Deleted the individual log items on the device, no problems since.

I'm going to try to replicate the problem with another new number and will add to this if anything crops up.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #24
BobbyC

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

To clear the call log from a Mac using DM 1.0.1b2, go to Device in the drop-down menu and select Clear Data. You will be able to select Phone Call Log to clear.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #25
N9JIG

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Fixed by deleting History Lists

I had a similar issue, the message would appear when I received a Nextel Direct Connect message on my 8350i. It would lock up and a battery swap might work for a while but not always.

I went into the phone application and deleted my phone, Direct Connect and MMS messages. After a battery boot everything seems to work fine now.

I also had recently received a Facebook Upgrade a week ago, I suspect this was the root cause, as it places messages in the message list. I just deleted Facebook from my handheld, I really don't need it...
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #26
RACazorla

Carrier: Cable & Wireless Movil Panama
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfxguy View Post
I had this problem on a Curve 8900, and finally narrowed it down to when I had a missed or ignored call, and then went back and clicked on the phone log - that would trigger it.

After spending several hours with up to tier 2 support at T-Mobile, they finally switched me over to RIM support who provided this solution.

Because I had narrowed the problem down to a specific and repeatable sequence, the RIM support tech determined that my phone log database had gotten corrupted. Here are the steps he gave me to clear it:
  1. Start BB Desktop & connect phone
  2. Click backup & restore
  3. Click Advanced
  4. In the right window, scroll down to Phone call log & select
  5. Click the clear button
No more uncaught exception errors.
I had the same Issue 8900 CW Movil Panama and this fixed it, thx
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #27
flegend
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2
Default Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaecho View Post
Check this article out: View Document
Amazing, all of you. Fixed my 8900.

Ever so grateful/

Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
nmacret

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Exclamation Object Group Read Only Exception

I am the rapid expert at stripping the 8350i out of the Otter Box and removing the keypad cover and taking out the battery. But how many times per day should I expect to perform this action. Yesterday 3 times alone. 4 all weekend and twice today so far.

Surely there is another fix more permanent. When on call and unable to answer 4 hours out of 24 waiting for reboot?????non functional unhappy user
Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #29
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

It's rare and depends on many things, for example I have never had this issue.
Plus instead of taking out the battery you can try hit Alt+Cap+Delete at the sametime to do perform a soft reset

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #30
Paul Falkner

Carrier: Vodaphone
Angry

I have had it a lot of times and have sent three blackberries back to RIM because it appeared no-one in our supplier and no-one at RIM actually knows how to stop this particularly irritating problem. It once happened 4 x in one day and now happens approx every fortnight, normally just when I need to use it.

The old hard re-boot of extracting the battery and sometimes cleaning the SIM is as atrocious a "fix" as Bill Gates' original response to Blue Screen of Death which was to reboot your PC!!!

Let's face it, if all the lights in your house kept going out and all the electrician could say was "Well, go to your fuse-box and reset them all!", you would fire him and find someone competent.

It is well past time RIM fixed this really annoying "feature".
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #31
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Falkner View Post
I have had it a lot of times and have sent three blackberries back to RIM because it appeared no-one in our supplier and no-one at RIM actually knows how to stop this particularly irritating problem. It once happened 4 x in one day and now happens approx every fortnight, normally just when I need to use it.

The old hard re-boot of extracting the battery and sometimes cleaning the SIM is as atrocious a "fix" as Bill Gates' original response to Blue Screen of Death which was to reboot your PC!!!

Let's face it, if all the lights in your house kept going out and all the electrician could say was "Well, go to your fuse-box and reset them all!", you would fire him and find someone competent.

It is well past time RIM fixed this really annoying "feature".
It's always risky saying this, but my experience I'd say you need to look at what you are doing. I have hardley ever had to do hard resets on the blackberrys I've owned. I have maybe done it twice on this 9700. Maybe it's me, but I know many who can say the same thing. So, when someone is having repeated issues, and across several units, my first assumption is user error.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #32
Paul Falkner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
It's always risky saying this, but my experience I'd say you need to look at what you are doing. I have hardley ever had to do hard resets on the blackberrys I've owned. I have maybe done it twice on this 9700. Maybe it's me, but I know many who can say the same thing. So, when someone is having repeated issues, and across several units, my first assumption is user error.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Yeah, I agree, after all I have only owned 5 different models and now four of these, plus have had other phones and am currently running an iphone as well which has never crashed like this.

This is the only model that I have had this fault on and it is definitely generic to the model and not user error. Unless you regard using it for email, phone calls and SMS to be abnormal usage.

The very fact that so many other people here have had the same fault should also say something?

Oh, and the alt-caps-del soft reboot does not clear it either.

Last edited by Paul Falkner; 09-22-2010 at 06:50 AM..
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #33
Paul Falkner

Unhappy

I note that RIM have yet to even think of addressing this problem.

It is still happening and I am still "fixing" it by removing the battery.

Dear old RIM, stone age solutions for the 21st Century!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Default Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfxguy View Post
I had this problem on a Curve 8900, and finally narrowed it down to when I had a missed or ignored call, and then went back and clicked on the phone log - that would trigger it.

After spending several hours with up to tier 2 support at T-Mobile, they finally switched me over to RIM support who provided this solution.

Because I had narrowed the problem down to a specific and repeatable sequence, the RIM support tech determined that my phone log database had gotten corrupted. Here are the steps he gave me to clear it:
  1. Start BB Desktop & connect phone
  2. Click backup & restore
  3. Click Advanced
  4. In the right window, scroll down to Phone call log & select
  5. Click the clear button
No more uncaught exception errors.
THANK YOU GRFXGUY I've searched through quite a few threads when I came accross this one. My problem was I was getting an uncaught exception error 4 >= 4, and my phone stopped ringing when I was getting calls. At first I fixed it by reseting my profile settings, but it just went back to doing it again the next day. I applied your fix today and it seems to be working so far.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #35
negrafruta

Default Re: uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ObjectGroupReadOnlyExcep tion

to grfxguy and others.

I never installed Desktop Manager because I do not use that function. So, that is not an option.

I previously remedied the problem by removing the battery when this first happened. But it has happened a second time.

It seems to follow my selecting either (both) the phone directory (contacts) and/or the phone log.

When the "uncaught exceptions" message comes up I cannot get it off the screen by clicking the blue "ok" button, or any key.

Any other clues to fix this recurring issue?

I have owned this phone (8900) for about two years, since they first came on the market. This malfunction has just arisen.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #36
negrafruta

Default Re: uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ObjectGroupReadOnlyExcep tion

Hey, Delta Echo. THANKS. The method in the document found via your link works to clear the phone log, even if you are not on a BES server.

"Delete call logs" is the title for the page on the blackberry.com site. It is article ID KB03592

Now. Whether or not it will stop the problem prompting the "Uncaught exception" message and subsequent lock up remains to be seen.
Closed Thread