Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
AliBBB

Model: 9700
PIN: 2223D3C3
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post

But Blackberry's email client wipes the floor with everybody in my book. Nobody touches them... It's fast, clean - a lean, mean fighting email machine! (hee hee)....

Sandy
I have to disagree to an extent, Sandy.

With the lack of IMAP sync. and lack of IMAP folder support, which is available in any smartphone, I see Blackberry on BIS is far behind competition when it comes to email handling. and now comes this issue in this thread.

iphone, and other smart phones, does 2 way sync with yahoo. if you delete an email or moved it to another folder on the phone or on the web mail it sync both ways.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Far behind? No. Neither is it the best out there. What RIM does very well is the back room infrastructure - particularly BES. The RIM e-mail client is aging. But the total package of client + BES is the best out there.

The iPhone/iPad client is horrible if you have multiple mailboxes (ever count the number of taps required to move from one Inbox to another?)
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #23
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw119 View Post
Over the past couple of nights my wife has received EVERY message in her inbox - again. So, at 2AM she ends up with 400+ unread messages some she received months ago. Is this related or another issue?
It depends... is this a Yahoo, Gmail or BES account? It does make a differnce...

If it is Yahoo - log into her Yahoo account on the web and move the messages from the inbox to either a folder or the trash. Yahoo pulls onto the Blackberry from the Inbox - if the inbox is empty - then it shouldn't happen again.

And yes, I have been having similar trouble (on several smart phones) with my Yahoo account - but mine has been reversed - messages show up - and then they disappear... it's been "odd" to say the least...

I hope this helps...

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 06-05-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
My iPad has no problem deleting e-mails from Yahoo.
My BlackBerry - to repeat - has never deleted e-mails from Yahoo.
I never said any smart phone would not be capable of deleting mail from Yahoo's server.

If your Blackberry isn't "executing" this function - maybe contact RIM.... that function should work.

Just to add to this - is it through the BIS?? And if so there is a setting there that needs to be checked to have the "trash" sync...

Last edited by The Sand; 06-05-2010 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Added last comment
Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBBB View Post
I have to disagree to an extent, Sandy.

With the lack of IMAP sync. and lack of IMAP folder support, which is available in any smartphone, I see Blackberry on BIS is far behind competition when it comes to email handling. and now comes this issue in this thread.

iphone, and other smart phones, does 2 way sync with yahoo. if you delete an email or moved it to another folder on the phone or on the web mail it sync both ways.
I don't like IMAP - that is why I use POP3. I want to "own" my mail. I want it "off" the server. That way if they (the powers that be) decide to delete my account I have the mail. I just use Yahoo as a server - it spins the mail around to my devices and then I delete from Outlook - which in turn deletes from the Blackberry (but no other smart phone.) I have to do those by hand...

It depends on user preference... I should not have said it was "better" because obviously there will be others that disagree... I am just saying what I prefer... if you like the other - rock on!

Sandy
Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #26
AliBBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Far behind? No. Neither is it the best out there. What RIM does very well is the back room infrastructure - particularly BES. The RIM e-mail client is aging. But the total package of client + BES is the best out there.

The iPhone/iPad client is horrible if you have multiple mailboxes (ever count the number of taps required to move from one Inbox to another?)
I can't stand the iphone nor the ipad, and clearly I have blackberry.
when I said they are far behind I was talking about the blackberry IMAP support on BIS. blackberry+BES is out of competition. but I am talking about the single user to be fair to compare to the competitive iphone and androids

Last edited by AliBBB; 06-06-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
AliBBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I don't like IMAP - that is why I use POP3. I want to "own" my mail. I want it "off" the server. That way if they (the powers that be) decide to delete my account I have the mail. I just use Yahoo as a server - it spins the mail around to my devices and then I delete from Outlook - which in turn deletes from the Blackberry (but no other smart phone.) I have to do those by hand...

It depends on user preference... I should not have said it was "better" because obviously there will be others that disagree... I am just saying what I prefer... if you like the other - rock on!

Sandy
Sure it is user perefernce. I use only Yahoo email from the web based ones. and I use 3 IMAP account for work and school. ALL the IMAP emails do not sync with blackberry and you can imagine the pain... I used to have HTC that worked flawlessly with the IMAP two way sync. and I tried the iphone and it worked well, too.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #28
The Sand

Yeah, IMAP through the BIS doesn't go well... since I don't "prefer" IMAP it doesn't bother me (Yahoo is my primary account,) but if IMAP is your choice through the BIS - well, then I can feel your pain... there is definitely some "workaround" to get a full seamless sync.

But I have other smart phones - and Outlook would be included here - where Gmail is a train wreck due to their "conversation" feature. That feature makes reading email off certain email clients quite literally a "mess." I wish Gmail would make that feature up to the user...

AOL is also IMAP but they have no SSL enabled - thus it takes them out of the running due to security.

I wish there was more "choice" out there...

Still waiting for my "Yahoo" fix...
Sandy
Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
The Sand

It's not the update we wanted but at least he continues to follow up with me. Says a lot about RIM - as nobody would want to keep emailing somebody to tell them they sill don't have the answer to their problem.
Hello Sandy,

Still no update in regard to this issue. We are hoping to have an update soon, so I will update you whenever an update has been provided.

Scot
BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
dmm

Model: Curve

Any updates on this? I keep having to "Delete Prior" on my BB and I can't really use my BB to keep up to date on new emails.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #31
The Sand

Unfortunately the update from RIM (as of 6/9) is there is no update from Yahoo yet. RIM is keeping us informed... see my post above. They are waiting on Yahoo...

It's been a long wait...

Frustrating I know...

Sandy
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #32
data1025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

I spoke with Tmobile Tech support tonight. The rep was not sure if that feature was supposed to work, which concerned me. They tried a few things, and called RIM and were about to transfer me, but wanted to talk to RIM first. The Tmobile rep indicated the sync feature has no guarantee of working any longer, per the RIM rep. The TMobile rep indicated I should email Yahoo support for further information if I still had a problem, but basically it's up to the mail service provider to ensure the messages are being synced, not RIM, and not Tmobile.

If anyone else plans to call their carrier, please reference Blackberry KB articles 05133 & 12838, which clearly state Yahoo 2 way sync works, and...

When an email message is deleted from Yahoo! Mail, a notification is triggered and the BlackBerry smartphone is updated right away. When an email message is deleted on the BlackBerry smartphone, it can take up to an hour for the delete to be reflected in Yahoo! Mail.

Last edited by data1025; 06-11-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Old 06-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #33
The Sand

You can certainly try contacting Yahoo, I am all for trying... but I have dealt with Yahoo in detail over the part of the sync where the mail is "removed" from the device. Because I wanted that feature for my other phones - badly. It was a no because that part of the sync comes from RIM's BIS.

Per Yahoo - POP3 only delivers mail onto the device (or Outlook.) When you delete mail from your device (or Outlook) the mail will sync off Yahoo's server - but that's it. Yahoo won't go into the devices "inbox" and sync mail off you have removed from their server (either by Outlook or Yahoo on the web.) Only the Blackberry will remove it from the inbox and that is due to BIS.

This has been tested and proved true - I pounded and pounded both Yahoo and the corporations who own my smartphones and could not get the last part of the sync. Only Blackberry delivered.

What makes no sense to me - is if it is RIM's part - then why are they waiting on Yahoo??? That I don't get...

And in the end - if this doesn't work - there is nothing we can do... we'll just have to live without that feature - which would be truly sad indeed.

I haven't spoken to Scott from RIM again - just waiting on updates. I will call on Monday and see what he has to say about this...

Thanks so much for posting the info!! All info, even if we don't want to hear it - is good.

Sandy
Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
data1025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

Thank you for following up with RIM. I have sent Yahoo Support an email.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #35
The Sand

If we have to fight for this - I will fight. We can tell RIM they are no better than any other smart phone if they don't deliver this. They would even be "worse" as they don't have full IMAP through the BIS.

I get real tied of being "last" because I don't have exchange/BES...

Sandy
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #36
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by data1025 View Post
Thank you for following up with RIM. I have sent Yahoo Support an email.
Your welcome - and thanks for sending an email to Yahoo. They know me - and they hate me... better it come from you.

When they respond back and tell you to "check your settings" just copy and paste your original email and send it back. Usually you have to do that 3 or 4 times before they even trigger in and pay attention... That's what I do - I got sick and tired or trying to explain it over and over..

Sandy

Last edited by The Sand; 06-11-2010 at 11:12 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #37
kbuhagiar

Model: Bold

FWIW, my Blackberry has always flawlessly reconciled (within seconds) with my Yahoo Mail, up until about a week ago.

Now it takes hours for the deleted messages to clear from my BB.

Strangely enough, new email messages are still posting to my BB almost immediately.

Annoying, but not yet earth-shattering. Still, I hope they resolve this soon.

KB
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
lisaskil

Model: 8830
Default Right there with you guys...

I started having the sync problem 7-10 days ago... I'm a paid Yahoo subscriber (I pay the annual fee to have no ads since I use the address for my consulting)... Verizon told me to delete the account, reboot, then add the account again. I've done this 3-4 times without success. Will be watching to see how you all fare.

--Lisa
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #39
The Sand

I just spoke to RIM to make sure they are still "caring" and pursuing this.

Based on what RIM told me - RIM works in "conjunction" with Yahoo on that part of the sync. They have escalated this issue with Yahoo and are waiting for them to respond.

They said they are not giving up on it - they want this to work. They will continue to work with Yahoo until it does. I guess there is a "delay" from Yahoo's server on notifying RIM when the mail has been read, deleted, etc. and that is the problem. There is like a 6 hour delay. Which makes sense because my mail gets deleted it just takes hours. Longer than 6 for me.

In no way did he indicate -"Contact Yahoo - it's not our problem." Thank goodness for that.

So, it looks good - and RIM has been stellar over this. They pick up the phone - they aren't stupid - they don't lie - they back their phone. Not so everybody in the smartphone industry... this I know.

So we continue to be good little "users" and patiently wait...

Sandy
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #40
RedVR6
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Too bad we can't harass them here: Yahoo! Mail Blog As they have the names of people in the Yahoo Mail dept.
Closed Thread