BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Cannot hold ALT key and type text any longer...

Please Login to Remove!

I used to be able to press and hold the ALT key and hit a second key to get a character, like a number or the ? mark. Now I have to press and let off the ALT key THEN hit my intended character key. This is crippling my ability to type quickly! I know this is an issue that has been discussed before. I have read all those posts. None of the suggestions helped.

Sunday I upgraded my 9700 Bold OS to the latest version, v5.0.0.442. I had to "reactivate" two programs afterward, BerryWeather and Where's My Phone. Every thing went as planned. Monday I started to notice I could not ALT+Press a key. When I do hit the ALT key, a small icon shows up in the upper right corner. It stays resident until I press a second key (or repress the ALT). Both CAPS keys do this also.

My phone did NOT do this before! I could always press and hold the ALT key and, say, key in a quick string of numbers.

I have been all over the keyboard and language (English) settings. I don't have a case issue pressing on any keys. There is nothing wrong with the camera convenience key. I have done three five plus minute battery pulls. The ALT key works, just NOT how it used to. I don't know if it is the new OS, but I can't believe no one else has discovered the issue in recent days or weeks since it was released. Am I alone? This is just kind of annoying, like a stone inside my shoe. Any ideas on how to proceed? Could it be a setting I am missing? Thanks! CG
Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
texaspanhandler

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Are you able to press the ALT key and then the LEFT SHIFT key (which locks ALT on) and type? This might be a good alternative to holding the ALT key and typing anyway...

I have never had the problem you are describing, but thought I'd share...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

For a second, I was able to ALT+left shift and get a string of "///////////" But now I cannot replicate this command. I cannot lock into CAP. Earlier today, for a second, I though the phone was behaving normally. I was able to hit ALT and hold it and get a string of 6's. But then nothing, so I thought I was imagining things. I think it is a software issue. There may be work arounds, but I'd sure like to know why it is doing this and why I appear to be one of about seven people worldwide with the problem.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

There is nothing on the RIM support site to indicate your problem. I would suspect the OS may have some corruption and if you replace it you may find it works ok. Also the site does not indicate the key will or will not function as you indicate. It may be worth trying a replacement. Also it may just be a new feature although one that is not good.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks. I am hoping to try an OS earlier than .442, if I can do this. I recall seeing a help page on RIM saying one has to press and hold ALT then the key intended, which is what I am trying to do, but which does no longer work on my device. That is what I meant. Can you press and hold ALT and get an entry to key in? I cannot! But used to be able to....
Old 02-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

You can downgrade. Search for JL_cmdr and read the process to replace os. Just use the older version.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Sigh...

I have been all over the internet. I bet I searched three or four BB forums. Looked at every post with the term "ALT" in the title. I must be one of no more than a dozen people that are having this problem. And for half of them a battery pull solved the problem. For the others, there were simply no replies.

Last week I could hold ALT (or shift key) and hit a second key at the same time, then this week I cannot! I used to be able to hit and hold ALT then key in a string of numbers. Not now. Now I have to let up and press ALT each time. This is madness!

Downgraded from .442 to my previous .423 (my troubles seem to start within a day of upgrading). Pretty sure I selected to remove all the newer files. Definitely running older .423 now but the problem persists. I can hit the ALT key THEN a character, but not at the same time. But I could! You all must not know the pain, for this has really slowed my ability to type quickly. It has hobbled an otherwise beautiful device.

So what do I do now? New SIM card (reaching there). I may just try and get a new device and start again, but I'd really like to know how on Earth this could just happen? The rest of you: can you press and hold the ALT key and then hit, say, the "?" mark? Or semicolon?

What I may explore tomorrow is a complete wipe and reinstall of the OS (423 or 442). This scares me however. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by splnkr; 02-06-2010 at 10:39 PM..
Old 02-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Solved.....?

Rolled my OS from .442 back to an official AT&T .405. Could not get JL_Cmder to wipe to 507. Even tried the command line work around. However, through a combination of DM and loader.exe, got the old OS back in. Rather go to the dentist after taffy than to have go through getting the BB back the way I wanted it, but after a few hours work, the ALT key and hold issue has gone away. Now I just wish I knew exactly what caused it and why I was affected and no one else.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Sometime a particular load will not function well on a BB. Many things can cause the problems seen after upgrading. It is always better to use the load recommended by the carrier . At least you can call them to complain when something goes wrong. Also keep in mind that sometimes a third party app will cause issues. Reload them one at a time to see if the issue comes back.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Good advice!

Yes, good advice. I am kind of a tinkerer when it comes to software, and can't resist trying a new OS upgrade. Figuring I can always go back, as I did here. This was not a big deal, more of a puzzle to figure out. I'll likely stay with the official release until something comes out again. In the mean time, I have been reloading all my apps one by one. So far so good. If I find a cause, I'll be sure and post.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
BertieC

Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy Same issue!

I have been experiencing the same thing. I don't think it had anything to do with my last OS upgrade (which was about a month ago), but I've noticed it within the last week or two. I can't hold down the cap or alt key and continue typing at the same time. It really bothers me. Anyone know if this can be disabled somewhere? If I have to go back to my old OS then I will try. The new OS does also have one other new feature that bothers me too (the stupid "top-left lock button changing to standby and no more quick lock" option) so it wouldn't be a TOTAL loss I suppose!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

SPLNKR please post if you solve the issue.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
b21bballer

Carrier: Bell

I'm having the same problem on my 9700. Along with it, the lock button on the top left will lock the phone, but not unlock. I have to battery pull to get the phone back.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
smittyleafs

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by b21bballer View Post
I'm having the same problem on my 9700. Along with it, the lock button on the top left will lock the phone, but not unlock. I have to battery pull to get the phone back.

I had exact same thing occur yesterday Feb 15th, 2010! I have a new bonus issue that when quickly typing; my BB is missing key strokes. I have not recently updated my software. However, I did update several BB apps yesterday. Anyone else remember updating apps before their issue started?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread