Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #21
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Definitely not a person that should have a BlackBerry...

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
dbornack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_Dan87 View Post
Well as a 21 year old I highly doubt ill be emailing any businesses so

Texting is used more than emailing BB should know that
Dude.. go away and get a sidekick or something...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #23
dbornack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I do this pretty often. SMS limits you to 160 characters. If I need to send something lengthy, I email it. A lot of my personal friends have BlackBerry devices or mobile email devices including the iPhone or Windows Mobile devices.
Not to mention when dealing with business, you'll want a record of your email on either a mail server, or an Outlook Inbox. SMS doesn't give you that.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

We all have our BB for our own reasons. Some people don't use email live with it. To tell someone they are wrong for an opinion of how they want to use a device is a pointless argument. Its an opinion for a reason, it's an opinion not fact.

I don't know about anyone else but SMSs don't cost money if part of your plan, nor do you require a data plan. When I was 21 paying $45/Month for a GB of traffic would be just nuts, I didn't have $45 to pay for my phone a month let alone a data plan when I was that age.

We all have our reasons why we use the device the way we want to, you can't force that on someone else because that's how you use it! And in his defense not all phones have email yet that your sending to. SMS is a common medium that all phones support so why use a cutting edge technology that your friend won't get until they get home and open hotmail. Why not SMS them "hey what's up? wanna do something tonight?". It was why it was created, Short Message System to chit chat short messages. Again in his defense when he said he is 21 it wasn't meant as an omission of stupidity that because he is 21 he is dumb and must not know how to use the device meant for real adults and tech geniuses. It means hey I'm young and all my friends don't have $200 to spend on phone bills with data plans and email, they have Pay As You Go and flip phones with only SMS on them...

Give the dude some slack and stop with the mod mentality, he asked a legit question that I want to know the answer to as well, and guess what I'm a BES administrator and in IT so I guess I'm an idiot too cause my girlfriend uses SMS to chat with me and half my friends cause their not tech geeks and just have an ordinary phone that can only SMS...

Keep the thread to answering the question if you can't answer it then don't respond like he is an idiot for wanting that. Man what is this IRC?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #25
dbornack
Thumbs Must Hurt

^^ Dan, is that you?

BBs are purpose-built for business class mobile email.

It's like buying a 2-ton pickup to pull a lawn mower behind you. Sure BBs are cool, but they're made for so much more than SMS.

We're getting on his ass because of his attitude, not because he feels there should be a hot-key for composing SMS. Being 21 is probably the exact reason why he has his opinion. He has no idea what the real business world is like, and just knows that he needs to text his college buddies to go out drinking every night.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Prices in the States and in Canada are different. SMS is generally not free, but an add-on with most carriers, just as a data plan. I have friends with "dumb phones" as well. Some of them don't have SMS plans, so texting does cost money. That can add up quickly.

Also, there were multiple suggestions to answer the OP's question. If you read through this entire thread, you should have seen the suggestions made. In post #12, a 3rd party app was suggested.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #27
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Prices in the States and in Canada are different. SMS is generally not free, but an add-on with most carriers, just as a data plan. I have friends with "dumb phones" as well. Some of them don't have SMS plans, so texting does cost money. That can add up quickly.

Also, there were multiple suggestions to answer the OP's question. If you read through this entire thread, you should have seen the suggestions made. In post #12, a 3rd party app was suggested.
Read the entire thread and yes I did see that...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #28
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbornack View Post
^^ Dan, is that you?

BBs are purpose-built for business class mobile email.

It's like buying a 2-ton pickup to pull a lawn mower behind you. Sure BBs are cool, but they're made for so much more than SMS.

We're getting on his ass because of his attitude, not because he feels there should be a hot-key for composing SMS. Being 21 is probably the exact reason why he has his opinion. He has no idea what the real business world is like, and just knows that he needs to text his college buddies to go out drinking every night.
Nope not Dan sorry man...

I would have an attitude as well being chastised for using the way he wants to. Just because I have a Bold does not mean I have to use it like everyone else. Its his, if he wants to spend that much money on a glorified SMS machine let him.. personally I used a BB 7100 for years to have my Calendar and Contacts with me for a long time before BES and email for me it rocked having 1 common list that I could sync.

I understand the reason why you think the way you do its like using the Star Ship Enterprise to deliver pizzas to Mars, its not using the full power of it but heck if someone want to pay for it to do that then its their choice....
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #29
dbornack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspan View Post
Nope not Dan sorry man...

I would have an attitude as well being chastised for using the way he wants to. Just because I have a Bold does not mean I have to use it like everyone else. Its his, if he wants to spend that much money on a glorified SMS machine let him.. personally I used a BB 7100 for years to have my Calendar and Contacts with me for a long time before BES and email for me it rocked having 1 common list that I could sync.

I understand the reason why you think the way you do its like using the Star Ship Enterprise to deliver pizzas to Mars, its not using the full power of it but heck if someone want to pay for it to do that then its their choice....
I never said he was wrong for buying a BB just to SMS. We're chastising him for his attitude, because he doesn't understand. Had he not gone and tried to suggest that no one in the world emails each other anymore, this would be a 3 or 4 reply thread, and it'd be done.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Yeah but not everyone has a blackberry

Damn that sucks, BB needs to get with 2009, texting is the ideal form of communication
And I agree 100% with him it is the ideal form of communication... everyone that has a cell phone can do it.

How many people friends family do you know with email capable phones some might have a lot but most pole don't have many friends family with that capability. When you want a reply fast you either call them or SMS.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

In all fairness, I think the chastising came from his initial post stating "no one emails each others nowadays." Saying that on a BlackBerry forum is pretty ballsy considering BlackBerry devices are highly regarded for their email capabilities.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #32
Crupp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 249e66f1

Quote:
If you use that can you still hold Q to change to vibrate?

And DC represent!

Yes. I use QSMS on my bold with no problems at all. Great little program.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #33
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
In all fairness, I think the chastising came from his initial post stating "no one emails each others nowadays." Saying that on a BlackBerry forum is pretty ballsy considering BlackBerry devices are highly regarded for their email capabilities.
+1.

And even if this weren't a BlackBerry forum, the sort of broad and unsubstantiated statement of "no one emails each other nowadays" is just a bit ignorant, honestly.

How do most things get communicated in this day and age (be it personal or business)?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #34
BigPotato1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: 2C202669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Wow just wow
Hey...I got a cousin who more than likely has done THAT via email..lol! I had bought her a BB for her last birthday.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #35
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

I throw in a helpful suggestion just so my presense is justified.

Try this: ShortcutBerry: Awesome BlackBerry Shortcut Application | BerryReview.com »

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #36
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

as stated Qsms will work...

and at the age thing.... i am 19, a fulltime student and i use my berry for work and business related things all the time.....
Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #37
nick.dollimount

PIN: 216DF034

I definitely use mine for email a lot, of course. I also have a lot of friends who are getting blackberries recently. Which these friends, I use BB messenger. Most of my friends however, only have some sort of regular cell phone and are limited to sms texting. I also use Windows Live Messenger, Facebook, MySpace, Google Talk and Twitter to communicate with different people. "To each their own.", right? So to the OP, people definitely DO email each other these days. There's is no getting around that. It's moving more and more toward that too. Telus anyone? "Smartphones for everyone!". But also, to all the other great replies.... as I said in my list, there are MANY different means of communication on the blackberry other than email. And to be honest, as much as I do push the non-blackberry friends to get one, I'm not going to respond with, "I'm sorry I can't talk to you because you can't email on your phone." I do send them an SMS.

qSMS is fantastic for quickly composing a text message from the home screen. More often than not though, I'm pressing R to reply to a message that's already in my inbox. And it doesn't affect the Q shortcut for changing the profile. A one press shortcut from the home screen (Q for qSMS quick compose) is different from holding a button (Speed Dial shortcut).

**awaits the lashings**
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #38
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I upgraded to a BB because a) the £200 i spent on the nokia n95 was fine, until i got sick of sliding it to answer a text, t-mob releasing an os update of their own (i.e. they took v21 changed it to tmob v14 and would let anyone upgrade to the newer versions of 30+)
b) because i was sick of a slide phone and no one makes decent (in my eyes) or that many flip phones anymore
c) i was sick of predictive text and wanted a qwerty keyboard
and only then d) because i wanted to receive emails.

I dont send alot of emails, any in fact really, but I sell on ebay alot and wanted to get emails about sold items when i wasnt in front of the pc (which in itself is a rare occasion)

oh and by the way, if you look in applications, and select show all, there is a compose icon. then it lets you select a contact, click menu and go to sms, and compose. once youve sms'd once, it will always defult sms for that contact on compose (unless you happen to send mail or mms, then you have to select sms again)

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #39
nick.dollimount

PIN: 216DF034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
oh and by the way, if you look in applications, and select show all, there is a compose icon. then it lets you select a contact, click menu and go to sms, and compose. once youve sms'd once, it will always defult sms for that contact on compose (unless you happen to send mail or mms, then you have to select sms again)
^^True! And I think the C shortcut from the homescreen works for that too. But you have to have "Dial from homescreen" turned off, of course.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #40
Wiseass

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

What about hitting C to compose, then either find your contact and if they don't have an email address setup, just select their name and it'll automatically start an sms. Alternatively if you have some with both methods (email and phone num for text), hit C, find contact, hit menu to left of trackball and select sms

Seems like a lot of steps but maybe takes me 5 seconds if that to do

Not to mention if they send you a text and yer reading it, just hit R to reply