BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)
Default Begin Comparisons: 3G iPhone, BOLD, Xperia?

Please Login to Remove!

Who will take over this summer?
I'm not talking about iphone overhype super awesomeness i mean real functionality. The best all around phone ever will come out of one of these phones what are your predictions?

Start the controversy.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
doe4040
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8707v
PIN: 2503A700
Carrier: Vodafone UK

To the normal consumer an iPhone will always be an iPhone, wether or not it's 3G
The bit most people are looking for is the storage because they want to use it as an mp3 player
The BOLD is a good looking phone and will no doubt be embraced by those wanting the QWERTY blackberry experience. Match that with 4.6 and youve got an amazing new blackberry.
As for the XPeria, well i hadnt heard of it before, but i just looked it up and i have to say, well done Sony Ericsson! A great looking device with a lot of promise, despite the keyboard looking like its from one of those super cheap personal organisers.

I personally think though (and it pains me to say this) that the iPhone will continue to be a top seller, especially over here in the UK. Its not because of its functionality, it's the little gimmicks, like the pinch zoom thing and the way the screen rotates based on how youre holding it.

Done.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

My prediction. The iphone will dominate the consumer market with some bleed off from business users. The 9000 will be a big seller with current BB users and will get some of the consumer market. The Xperia? Who knows. One thing is sure, RIM, Apple and AT&T will make a boat load of money this summer.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
iNOMAD

Model: ....
PIN: N/A

I think the Xperia will only be popular with a small technology oriented group of buyers. The Blackberry and iPhone have a far larger current customer base.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think the Xperia x1 is great but it seems that it isn't getting the hype that it deserves. But i think i agree with argon.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I do not want to judge too early but the keyboard on the Xperia does not look very friendly.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Outrigger

Model: 8820

The Xperia will be the most expensive of the three. No carriers are likely to pick up such a high end device especially when most SE phones are being sold unlocked and this one with an estimated price of $1k.

The 3G iphone will be a big hit especially when you can download songs at 3G speed with the built in itune store. You no longer need wifi to be able to download a song or wait days for it to be downloaded on EDGE. Yes, it has its gimmicks, but so does every other phone out there.

The Bold will do very well with its current base. However, its form will be a bit of a let down to many consumers especially ones that care about form over function. Thats why, I see a lot more pearls and curves than the 88xx series. Yes, it has GPS, wifi, AND a cam, but again, the size and girth will be a major turn off.

I for one, am looking forward to the Bold which will replace my current 8820. I prefer big phones that makes it easier to grasp and hold when making a call. Thin is good but only to a point. There will be a point where something thats so thin that it just isn't practical or comfortable to hold anymore.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe4040 View Post
To the normal consumer an iPhone will always be an iPhone, wether or not it's 3G
The bit most people are looking for is the storage because they want to use it as an mp3 player
The BOLD is a good looking phone and will no doubt be embraced by those wanting the QWERTY blackberry experience. Match that with 4.6 and youve got an amazing new blackberry.
As for the XPeria, well i hadnt heard of it before, but i just looked it up and i have to say, well done Sony Ericsson! A great looking device with a lot of promise, despite the keyboard looking like its from one of those super cheap personal organisers.

I personally think though (and it pains me to say this) that the iPhone will continue to be a top seller, especially over here in the UK. Its not because of its functionality, it's the little gimmicks, like the pinch zoom thing and the way the screen rotates based on how youre holding it.

Done.

Maybe on your side of the pond, however, here in the States, people are sadly, very well versed on cell phone technology. People know that 3g is where it's at, although, most of them don't even know what it is, but they know they must have it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
doe4040

What im saying is that people buy it because it will become a bit of a fashion icon much like an iPod or a sidekick
Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
sonic117
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1

iPhone will still dominate the market to those that don't really need all the functionality but more of a status symbol

the Bold will be huge to the BB consumer markets as this is a great advancement with the full ALL in ONE package finally

the Xperia does not get enough credit it should...
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
doe4040

*continue to be a fashion icon
Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I think price is going to doom the Xperia to insignificance. Without MAJOR subsidies to price that a carrier would offer, there simply aren't enough SE fanboys willing to spend $1000. Plus, SE's record with firmware isn't so good. As a T-Mobile user the Xperia looks intriguing because of the inclusion of AWS (TMO 3G), but is it worth the price? Probably not. Nokia can completely blow away the Xperia for TMO customers by releasing the E71 version that is to include AWS.

The iPhone is, well, the iPhone. Sales will keep rolling along for some time. Look how long the iPod has been hot, only recently showing a flattening out of sales numbers. Apple is the Donald Trump of the electronics world. Self-promotion is their/his strong suit.

The BB 9000 will sell well too, as almost all new BB models have. But the 9000 is a major leap technologically, which will win converts from other platforms. RIM has found a superior balance of enterprise features and consumer features, and has also struck a very Apple-like balance of form and function. Gone are the days when Blackberrys worked superbly but looked like ass. These things are beautiful to use, beautiful to look at, and beautiful to hold.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Damn the Xperia and its ridiculous prices. what does it have to offer that its so much more than its competitors?
i REALLY like it but not worth that price, and still underhyped.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
Damn the Xperia and its ridiculous prices. what does it have to offer that its so much more than its competitors?
i REALLY like it but not worth that price, and still underhyped.
Its the name and design that commands a premium. Just like Apple, except SE commands an even higher premium.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe4040 View Post
What im saying is that people buy it because it will become a bit of a fashion icon much like an iPod or a sidekick
You are 100% wrong.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Dranakin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think the Bold will only appeal to the base who are used to using the larger sized BB - I personally don't want to move from my Pearl to larger phone. SureType works great and the phone doesn't weight down my suit jacket or blazer.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Dranakin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
However, its form will be a bit of a let down to many consumers especially ones that care about form over function. Thats why, I see a lot more pearls and curves than the 88xx series. Yes, it has GPS, wifi, AND a cam, but again, the size and girth will be a major turn off.
I don't understand this argument. What "function" will be lost by sticking to a Pearl-shape form? QWERTY keyboard and slightly larger screen are the only things I can think of. If RIM stuffed all the same new features into a Pearl, the "function" would the same.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
You are 100% wrong.
100% wrong? LOL!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
You are 100% wrong.
please go on...
Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #20
sb1036

Model: 8300

Being an AT&T employee I have to say that the iphone is gonna be a strong competitor simply because, as mentioned before, it is a fashion accessory. Even people who have an iphone already are chomping at the bit to get at the new one. I think a lot of people are gonna be selling their old iphones just to get the new one.

but as this is a blackberry website, and I myself love my blackberry and know the simple truth that there is no comparison between the iphone and the blackberry now or ever I think that the blackberry is still going to continue to be the best and most reliable smart phone on the market.

Now onto the X1. I saw this a while back on the se site and it does look stellar. I have to say it will be hard to not want one when it is released but, again as mentioned before, sony's are always gonna be insanely expensive no matter the type of device. And with their current line selling unlocked for $500-$1k not only will carriers not carry the phone but it will render it out of the hands of those who want it. Which sucks cause that is the only phone that I could see myself putting into my daily rotation, but only seldomly. Blackberry rule.
Closed Thread