Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Goodbye, iPhone. Hello, Blackberry Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Well, it hasn't quite been a year but with the announcement of the new 9000, I'm ready to come back to the RIM fold. The iPhone is a lot of fun, but I find myself missing the productivity features and a real keyboard. If I used the iPod portion of the device more, I would have appreciated it to a greater extent. I don't, so it looks like the Bold has the perfect combination of features I'm looking for. Especially if I read the press release correctly that it would be able to render full HTML web pages.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

LOL I went from BB 8100 to 8310 to iPhone to Tilt. Now I am back to my 8310 because I can keep in touch better and access my work email.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I am cautiously optimistic that this new product will succeed.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
mickeykool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Since I'm on a contract w/ ATT for my 8310, can I just simply take the sim card and put in my Bold w/o needing to break the contract?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeykool View Post
Since I'm on a contract w/ ATT for my 8310, can I just simply take the sim card and put in my Bold w/o needing to break the contract?
Sure. Except you'll have to pay full retail for the Bold if you're in the middle of a contract.

I'm not sure how that's going to work with iPhone customers. they can't really justify not giving us the 2 year price as AT&T certainly didn't subsidize the iPhone when we purchased it originally.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
LAPTOP GAMER

Model: none
Carrier: verizon

Can you just get the Blackberry and not activate the phone function(I have Verizon) I just want to use the MP3 and Wifi functions.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
Sure. Except you'll have to pay full retail for the Bold if you're in the middle of a contract.
Your eligibility for discount and contract term aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Your eligibility for discount and contract term aren't necessarily the same thing.

My experience with carriers, and I've had several, is that there are no discounts in the middle of a contract. Perhaps after the one year mark they'll give you a lesser "early" discount, but otherwise eligibility for discount and contract term are usually the same.

Although I did get VZW to give me the two year price on a BB a year ago while in the middle of a contract because I threatened to jump ship altogether.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
LAPTOP GAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
I have Verizon, and I don't see them offering this phone, as they are always behind the curve, pun intended. I have Verizon in my Tahoe with Onstar and I like Verizon, but I think I like the Blackberry Bold.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPTOP GAMER View Post
I have Verizon, and I don't see them offering this phone, as they are always behind the curve, pun intended. I have Verizon in my Tahoe with Onstar and I like Verizon, but I think I like the Blackberry Bold.
If you're on Verizon, you just have to accept that you're always going to be getting BB's later than everyone else (with the possible exception of the supposed Touchscreen model.) One of the reasons I did switch to AT&T is because I was tired of getting old phones that were stripped down. However, making the change was easy for me because AT&T coverage in my area is excellent.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
LAPTOP GAMER

Quote:
If you're on Verizon, you just have to accept that you're always going to be getting BB's later than everyone else (with the possible exception of the supposed Touchscreen model.) One of the reasons I did switch to AT&T is because I was tired of getting old phones that were stripped down. However, making the change was easy for me because AT&T coverage in my area is excellent.
I wonder if you have to pay to use the map function, and secondly is I pretty much have to stay with Verizon as it is tied into my Tahoe's Onstar hands free calling and I need that being California has the hands free law. I was looking at an i pod touch, but now the new offering from Blackberry has my interest again as I want MP3's and Wifi capabilities. I am not a buisness user and this may be more device than I need, but it just looks so cool, and a faster processor doesnt hurt.I laugh when they say the i phone and the Blackberry arn't competing, they are!

Last edited by LAPTOP GAMER; 05-13-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
My experience with carriers, and I've had several, is that there are no discounts in the middle of a contract. Perhaps after the one year mark they'll give you a lesser "early" discount, but otherwise eligibility for discount and contract term are usually the same.

Although I did get VZW to give me the two year price on a BB a year ago while in the middle of a contract because I threatened to jump ship altogether.
Not true. My mom was eligible for discount at an AT&T store about a year into her 2 year contract because she was with them for a while. She could not get the discount by ordering on the web though, when the 8820 came out. She had to wait for a brick and mortar store to get them in. So she ended up waiting a week after it was available from the online store ... but she got her discount.

My friend did the same thing with the Tilt. He was a little bit over a year on his 2 year contract and they let him get the discount if he walked into a store .. not online.

So what he said is true. Eligibility of new phone discount and contract term are NOT the same. Verizon is anal though. So with THEM, that may be true. VZW will do whatever they can do to stick it to you.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPTOP GAMER View Post
I wonder if you have to pay to use the map function, and secondly is I pretty much have to stay with Verizon as it is tied into my Tahoe's Onstar hands free calling and I need that being California has the hands free law. I was looking at an i pod touch, but now the new offering from Blackberry has my interest again as I want MP3's and Wifi capabilities. I am not a buisness user and this may be more device than I need, but it just looks so cool, and a faster processor doesnt hurt.I laugh when they say the i phone and the Blackberry arn't competing, they are!
You have to pay AT&T to use AT&T Navigator, much like Verizon makes you pay for THEIR map service. The difference is that AT&T doesn't lock their GPS so you can use whatever you want for GPS. Lots of people don't pay for Navigator and just use Google Maps or MS Live search, which works perfectly to get GPS searches. On Verizon though, you HAVE TO pay them because its locked ... only their software is usable with the GPS so other programs just won't work. It also makes you limited on your choice of that type of software if its a VZW phone.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Not true. My mom was eligible for discount at an AT&T store about a year into her 2 year contract because she was with them for a while. She could not get the discount by ordering on the web though, when the 8820 came out. She had to wait for a brick and mortar store to get them in. So she ended up waiting a week after it was available from the online store ... but she got her discount.

My friend did the same thing with the Tilt. He was a little bit over a year on his 2 year contract and they let him get the discount if he walked into a store .. not online.

So what he said is true. Eligibility of new phone discount and contract term are NOT the same. Verizon is anal though. So with THEM, that may be true. VZW will do whatever they can do to stick it to you.
My own experiences, and that of friends, has been different than your own. Evidently there is no hard and fast rule, but generally I think it is tied to contract all anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
Dawgfan

Carrier: Cingular

Hi everyone.

I am in this exact same boat. I have always loved the BBs and when the iPhone came out I was given one as a gift. I used it for a while, went back to the 88xx and then went back to the iPhone simply due to the GUI and future possibilities.

I was all but planning to get the iPhone v 2.0 but as I use my iPhone day to day I wonder if a BB like the 9000 would better suit my needs. I could sit here and say that I value the internet experience on the iPhone over the BB but if I actually think about where I go and what I use the iPhone internet for, it ends up being what would normally be applications on a BB.

On the iPhone I would use Twitter via the web and there is Twitterberry. I use Jive Talk via the web (and it SUX on the iPhone) and there is native Jive Talk on the BB, I use Google Maps on the iPhone via web (kinda) and there is GMaps and TeleNav on the BB. I use Google Reader on the iPhone via the web and there are readers for the BB.. I will stop.

Basically, as an iPhone user I have myself convinced that I use the iPhone for its superior browsing experience yet most of those experiences are available natively on just about any BB. It may sound stupid but one of my most used/favorite (AND SIMPLE) features of the BB was ignored by the iPhone.. .and that is the indicator light. With a BB you know if you have a messge or email yet if you have your iPhone on mute you actually have to turn it on and check.. simple.. but annoying as I want my device to notify me, not me have to poll my device. I should also add that the advantage the iPhone has over the BB by not having a real qwerty keyboard (with regards to screen size) disappears as soon as you go to type a message, text or IM and that virtual qwerty pops up and takes of half your screen.

Now if the iPhone firmware 2.0 opens up the iPhone to the world of apps that it could then I could stay in the iPhone camp.

Regardless, if anyone is on the fence between an iPhone and a BB you really are choosing between two of the best mobile devices out there today IMO.

One thing that kept me from the BBs is that RIM had a thing about wi-fi on this device and GPS on that one.. and a camera on this one... With the introduction of the BB 9000 this issue is resolved. I never thought I would want a camera until I started posting pics to TwitPic (Twitter), Flickr, Facebook, etc. This can all be done with the BB 9000.

Thing is, if you are in the camp where you are having to decide between an iPhone and BB 9000, take a moment and realize that it is quite likely that things are going pretty good for you these days.. Just perspective.

Still have no clue what I am going to do. I thought I would see a 9000 floating around the office so I could check it out but so far that hasn't been the case.

Last edited by Dawgfan; 05-13-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
LAPTOP GAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
Hi everyone.

I am in this exact same boat. I have always loved the BBs and when the iPhone came out I was given one as a gift. I used it for a while, went back to the 88xx and then went back to the iPhone simply due to the GUI and future possibilities.

I was all but planning to get the iPhone v 2.0 but as I use my iPhone day to day I wonder if a BB like the 9000 would better suit my needs. I could sit here and say that I value the internet experience on the iPhone over the BB but if I actually think about where I go and what I use the iPhone internet for, it ends up being what would normally be applications on a BB.

On the iPhone I would use Twitter via the web and there is Twitterberry. I use Jive Talk via the web (and it SUX on the iPhone) and there is native Jive Talk on the BB, I use Google Maps on the iPhone via web (kinda) and there is GMaps and TeleNav on the BB. I use Google Reader on the iPhone via the web and there are readers for the BB.. I will stop.

Basically, as an iPhone user I have myself convinced that I use the iPhone for its superior browsing experience yet most of those experiences are available natively on just about any BB. It may sound stupid but one of my most used/favorite (AND SIMPLE) features of the BB was ignored by the iPhone.. .and that is the indicator light. With a BB you know if you have a messge or email yet if you have your iPhone on mute you actually have to turn it on and check.. simple.. but annoying as I want my device to notify me, not me have to poll my device. I should also add that the advantage the iPhone has over the BB by not having a real qwerty keyboard (with regards to screen size) disappears as soon as you go to type a message, text or IM and that virtual qwerty pops up and takes of half your screen.

Now if the iPhone firmware 2.0 opens up the iPhone to the world of apps that it could then I could stay in the iPhone camp.

Regardless, if anyone is on the fence between an iPhone and a BB you really are choosing between two of the best mobile devices out there today IMO.

One thing that kept me from the BBs is that RIM had a thing about wi-fi on this device and GPS on that one.. and a camera on this one... With the introduction of the BB 9000 this issue is resolved. I never thought I would want a camera until I started posting pics to TwitPic (Twitter), Flickr, Facebook, etc. This can all be done with the BB 9000.

Thing is, if you are in the camp where you are having to decide between an iPhone and BB 9000, take a moment and realize that it is quite likely that things are going pretty good for you these days.. Just perspective.

Still have no clue what I am going to do. I thought I would see a 9000 floating around the office so I could check it out but so far that hasn't been the case.
I don't think it's even out yet, is it?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #17
LAPTOP GAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
You have to pay AT&T to use AT&T Navigator, much like Verizon makes you pay for THEIR map service. The difference is that AT&T doesn't lock their GPS so you can use whatever you want for GPS. Lots of people don't pay for Navigator and just use Google Maps or MS Live search, which works perfectly to get GPS searches. On Verizon though, you HAVE TO pay them because its locked ... only their software is usable with the GPS so other programs just won't work. It also makes you limited on your choice of that type of software if its a VZW phone.
So I can buy it from AT&T and not activate the phone part,and just use the GPS,MP3, and Wifi function.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
My own experiences, and that of friends, has been different than your own. Evidently there is no hard and fast rule, but generally I think it is tied to contract all anecdotal evidence to the contrary.
I asked my friend. He said the manager told him the same thing as my mom. Because they were long time members then let people switch early as long as they go into the store.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
guamishkind
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Quote:
Well, it hasn't quite been a year but with the announcement of the new 9000, I'm ready to come back to the RIM fold. The iPhone is a lot of fun, but I find myself missing the productivity features and a real keyboard. If I used the iPod portion of the device more, I would have appreciated it to a greater extent. I don't, so it looks like the Bold has the perfect combination of features I'm looking for. Especially if I read the press release correctly that it would be able to render full HTML web pages.
I agree with you. Once the "wow" factor wore off the iphone, i realized it was missing a lot of the features I wanted.. The web browsing is nice, but I don't like the on screen keyboard.. I like the feel of actual keys etc.. Also, I get emails constantly throughout the day and BB's are the king of mobile email. Not to mention native instant messaging and java..

I couldn't wait for the Bold so I splurged and bought an 8320 Curve this morning. Should be here by Friday or sooner. Can't wait!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamishkind View Post
I agree with you. Once the "wow" factor wore off the iphone, i realized it was missing a lot of the features I wanted.. The web browsing is nice, but I don't like the on screen keyboard.. I like the feel of actual keys etc.. Also, I get emails constantly throughout the day and BB's are the king of mobile email. Not to mention native instant messaging and java..

I couldn't wait for the Bold so I splurged and bought an 8320 Curve this morning. Should be here by Friday or sooner. Can't wait!
So funny you mention that, I was thisclose to just ordering a Curve today to tide me over.

I am curious to see what native apps will be available on the iPhone come June, and what 2.0 will look like. However, my use of the iPod portion won't change that much, so the features really will have to greatly improve for me to consider staying with Apple.

On email, it's not even just that I miss BB's PUSH. It's that iPhone's email app is so hit or miss it's virtually useless for email. I tell all my friends if I'm out and about, you better text me because otherwise I may not get the message.
Closed Thread