Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
I just looked it up, 3 years for $50. Wow! And is that no questions asked? I know alot of people insure their iPhone thru their home insurance or obscure 3rd party companies, it's just not insurable in the normal way that cellphones are.
I'm sure if you had one replaced, broke the next one, or somehow raised eye brows they might deny you. But seriously speaking, you can drop it off a roof. You just have to be able to prove the phone exists by producing the broken phone. You can't say you lost it, or it was stolen because my car was stolen or my house was robbed. In those situations you use your home or auto policy. But to insure the device itself for accidental damage, yes. No questions asked. They also cover for normal warranty issues. They go way beyond AppleCare and often for less money. They are not iPhone exclusive. They do laptops and other small electronics as well. If it's under $500 is on the fast track. iPhones fit that criteria.

Best,

Alex Alexzander
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #42
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

We may be straying off the intended purpose of the thread, but this is good discussion in my book.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #43
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Alex that is a great site for those iPhone users out there. Also good to know they do other electronics
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #44
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
I'm sure if you had one replaced, broke the next one, or somehow raised eye brows they might deny you. But seriously speaking, you can drop it off a roof. You just have to be able to prove the phone exists by producing the broken phone. You can't say you lost it, or it was stolen because my car was stolen or my house was robbed. In those situations you use your home or auto policy. But to insure the device itself for accidental damage, yes. No questions asked. They also cover for normal warranty issues. They go way beyond AppleCare and often for less money. They are not iPhone exclusive. They do laptops and other small electronics as well. If it's under $500 is on the fast track. iPhones fit that criteria.

Best,

Alex Alexzander
Awesome! I opted out of the AppleCare, was going to get it just before my standard warranty ended. I definately could use accidental damage coverage. I've dropped several past smartphones to where I got kicked off the plan for a year for exceeding the maximum replacement limits...lol
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #45
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Awesome! I opted out of the AppleCare, was going to get it just before my standard warranty ended. I definately could use accidental damage coverage. I've dropped several past smartphones to where I got kicked off the plan for a year for exceeding the maximum replacement limits...lol
Well heck, I thought everyone knew about these guys. Maybe BBforums should get them to sponsor the site so they can make a few bucks here and support the forum. I didn't mean to become a commercial. Glad it helps.

Best,

Alex Alexzander
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #46
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Oh dont apologize its a great link If they want they can give any of the mods a PM and we can help em get started as a sponsor.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #47
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Apple is a computer company not a cellphone manufacturer, if they can make a device as good as RIM in thre fraction of the time RIM has in the 13 years then RIM should be even further along now then they are. It probably won't be too long before the iPhone has BB Connect, then what will be left to bash them about? The keyboard still?
thats the point here. Apple had 13 years to review and come up with a better device than whats currently available and they really haven't. They are playing on the mulitmedia capabilities like mp3's, video, etc and didnt even include a useable keyboard?? I tried typing a moderately long email on the iphone and it made 5 mistakes and took double the amount of time to compose.

Apple had lots of already established devices to critique and mold itself into a better "all around" device but I certainly feel it missed the mark in terms of business or "power user" implementation.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #48
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
thats the point here. Apple had 13 years to review and come up with a better device than whats currently available and they really haven't. They are playing on the mulitmedia capabilities like mp3's, video, etc and didnt even include a useable keyboard?? I tried typing a moderately long email on the iphone and it made 5 mistakes and took double the amount of time to compose.

Apple had lots of already established devices to critique and mold itself into a better "all around" device but I certainly feel it missed the mark in terms of business or "power user" implementation.
I am sure 13 years ago, a phone was not even on Steve Jobs mind. I believe the reason they payed more attention to the multimedia capabilities is becuase that is what people want more than anything else, hence why RIM has stepped outside it's box and and is becoming more consumer friendly. The first blackberrys weren't even phones and when they did become phones they were crappy phones at best. They have gotten way better as phones over the years but still do not compare to regular phones in some cases when it comes to call quality, so just like Apple, RIM is going to improve over time. The keyboard is subject to opinion. I hated it as well until I owned one and used it, then it became less of an issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #49
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The iPhone II must be thicker to hold the battery it will need to do 3G. I tried the iPhone for 3 days and it would not make it till just past lunch before it needed to be plugged in again! 3G will mean it will dies shortly after breakfast!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #50
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
The iPhone II must be thicker to hold the battery it will need to do 3G. I tried the iPhone for 3 days and it would not make it till just past lunch before it needed to be plugged in again! 3G will mean it will dies shortly after breakfast!
You are either lying, or had a defective unit. I have had my iPhone since last june. I get pretty good battery life and I am a heavy user. I am even running the latest firmware with direct push and I get way past lunch time.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #51
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

I go way past lunch as well. I last about two days or one day if my use is very heavy. Every now again I hear of some BlackBerry user or some iPhone user with odd battery life. There is typically some odd setting somewhere that is responsible. I get much the same battery life with the iPhone as I got with the BlackBerry.

What's nice about these small devices are the batteries charge very quickly. The battery has never been an issue. If it is, check a few simple settings. Maybe wifi is set to scan and join every WiFi node it can find or some other silly setting.

I get a good amount of email, have two accounts, listen to audiobooks for about 140 minutes a day plus normal phone, calendar, and note taking and still I could go the full day without losing even half the battery.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #52
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
I get so tired of people bringing up the iPhone when talking about the BB9000. They are two totally different devices targetted towards two totally different demographics.
Not entirely. In fact, an argument could be made that the BB 9000 is the best tool RIM currently has to go after current and potential iPhone users.

I have always been a BB user but use an iPhone now and am considering the 9000 mainly because RIM finally had to cave with the BS of not putting a camera, wi-fi and GPS all in once device.

In less than a year the notion that a BB user is not a iPhone user is fading. As people become more comfortable with data and smartphones this line will continue to diminish.

On the typing on an iPhone vs BB, that could not be more relative as I can type like a beast on a BB (my last one was an 8820) but I can actually type faster and with less errors on the iPhone. Now when I use my fiance's 88xx (VZN version), I still cannot type as well as I can on my iPhone.

Make no mistake, RIM is going after the iPhone and as of today (currently no official word on touchscreen BB) the 9000 is the best club in the bag that RIM has to do so.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #53
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

I fail to understand ANY complaints about the iPhones battery life. The fact that it isn't user replaceable hurts, but its staying power is pretty much top of the charts. When I had my iPhone, I would abuse the hell out of the web features and YouTube on a daily basis, as well as mix in a lot of WiFi when I was home on the couch, and not once did I run out of battery.

My typical day would consist of:
-About 1 hour of calls
-Between 5 and 50 SMS messages
-Email checked every 15 minutes
-2-3 hours of EDGE surfing
-1-2 hours of WiFi surfing
-2-3 hours of music/video

I would take my phone off the cradle at 7am and wouldn't put it back until 10-11pm, and it would still have about 30-40%, sometimes more, battery left. Considering the type of battery draining (web surfing, frequent email checking, video watching) usage I was doing, that was AMAZING to me. Not even any of the BlackBerrys I have had have been able to match it.

So yeah, anyone claiming they ran their iPhone down by lunch is either lying, or had a defective unit.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #54
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi5 View Post
You are either lying, or had a defective unit. I have had my iPhone since last june. I get pretty good battery life and I am a heavy user. I am even running the latest firmware with direct push and I get way past lunch time.
Ok so it gets you to dinner before it poops out! I can forget to plug my 8820 in at the end of the day and just skip a day of charging all together! I use about 2000 minutes a month and about 60 emails and mine was crying for power by lunch which was about 7 hours of use. I am sitting at my office desk at 4:30am
Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #55
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok so it gets you to dinner before it poops out! I can forget to plug my 8820 in at the end of the day and just skip a day of charging all together! I use about 2000 minutes a month and about 60 emails and mine was crying for power by lunch which was about 7 hours of use. I am sitting at my office desk at 4:30am
Your post backs up my belief that you have never used an iPhone for maybe more than a few moments.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #56
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Well then back up as it was for three days and I was not the only person who was having battery problems. Heck check out the HoFo/att/iphone forums and there are still some having problems. When the phone first came out everyone was screaming.

Backs up my belief you have not had one either!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #57
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well then back up as it was for three days and I was not the only person who was having battery problems. Heck check out the HoFo/att/iphone forums and there are still some having problems. When the phone first came out everyone was screaming.

Backs up my belief you have not had one either!
I bought one the first day they were available. I support both blackberry, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Palm devices for my company.

I have never seen battery performance that you describe on mine, or any of the iPhones I support. I stand by my statement that you either had a faulty unit, or you never owned one at all and just played with one for a few minutes at an apple store.

Last edited by Semi5; 05-14-2008 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #58
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Look, in the end I could care less about the iPhone I or II. Note that this is a Blackberry forum and a p|ssing contest with the iPhone does not belong here. My iPhone was what it was and I have no reason to lie about it. Next you will tell me yours had a real keyboard!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #59
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

I haven't ever seen anything like you said either, and I was an iPhone user for 6 months. Like I said in my above post, my iPhone offered me the most amazing battery life I have ever had in a smartphone, and it was even better than any BlackBerry I have ever had.

You mention Apple iPhone forums, and people still having the same problems. If you read a little deeper, you would see that it has a cause. Occasionally the email app will not stop checking for new mail, or Safari won't properly close, and it will cause extremely fast battery drain. A simple device restart fixes it though...

I guess it's a good thing that there are never battery problem posts about BlackBerrys on this, and other BlackBerry forums. Oh, wait...

Ok, there are, all the time actually, so scratch that one. Well, still, BlackBerrys never glitch and need to be restarted. Oh, wait...

Yeah, that happens all the time too for various different problems, and battery pulls are a very, very frequent thing in a BlackBerry users life.

All phones have issues, and none of them are perfect, not even BlackBerrys. Just as many people post problem topics regarding BlackBerrys as people post problem topics regarding iPhones. Saying it isn't true is nothing more than lying to yourself. YOU had an iPhone with a battery problem, so that means the entire product line does? If you want to use that reasoning, than every person on these forums that complains about battery life problems with their BlackBerry are an indication of the entire BlackBerry product line, right?

No, of course not, because we are talking about BlackBerry. Of course you as an individual represent the entire iPhone community when you have a battery problem with your iPhone; when a person has a battery problem with their BlackBerry though, they are just a fluke...

Also, you owned the iPhone for 3 days, and there is no chance you had a defect, or a system glitch causing the problem... at the device's launch no less... Give me a break.

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-14-2008 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #60
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
All phones have issues, and none of them are perfect
This part your statement is what everyone that sees it should really remember, it is the absolute truth. After owning several Windows Mobile devices(Smartphone and PPC editions), a couple of Palm devices, 5 different blackberry devices, and a iPhone, I have to agree with you, none are perfect and all have issues sooner or later. Now days even regular phones are prone to locking up, so its hard to imagine a smartphone being perfect. There were somedays that my iPhone battery seemed to drain quickly and others that it didn't, but I have had my 8300 and 8310 both do the same thing. Everyone has their preference as to what they want or need in a phone, personally I like to swap between phones and operating systems. Even though I'm no longer a Windows Mobile fan, I'm actually toting the Q9 Global right now for Slingplayer use.
I'm looking forward to the release of the BB Bold, and the new iPhone, I plan to wait a while after each is released to see if there are any issues, I'll decide then which one to get then.
Closed Thread