trev.d.reid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: 3198afa1
Carrier: Cellular South

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
If you listen, assuming BG didn't edit all of the information (just kidding), you will not pay $900-1,000 under any circumstance. I would say the 2-year agreement may push it to iPhone-esque pricing, but I wouldn't expect more than the $400-600 range. The current BlackBerry devices launched at $300-400 under new contracts and extensions. Unfortunately, Moore's Law has only allowed us to get better devices but really hasn't had much to do with overall pricing (over the last couple years), aside from putting more under the hood for nominal increases in price.

...blame Apple for the price hikes. They set the bar high and now we will see everyone attempt to reach it. It will eventually come down, but I think you're going to get one damn good device in the 9000, if you're inclined to wanting and buying something bigger and better. I know I'll have one on launch day
Darn you Apple
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #62
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0341 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830)

I don't pay contract prices. I pay full price. I do not want to be under contract.

Moores Law? What has Moores Law got to do with the 9000? Ther is not that much new on the 9000. The Dell Axim 51v had the same 625MHz processor and it is dead and gone.

That's why I called jibi an idiot.
The Axim had an Intel 624mhz processor but not the same chipset from Marvell, who bought Intel's XScale division. This is an entirely new processor with new features. But hey, let's not let that get in the way of calling me an idiot.

...and I haven't paid full price for a device in over 10 years. Come to think of it, I haven't even paid for a device in over 10 years, go figure. I mean, I know it must be something for you to be able to afford to pay full price for a device without a contract and be happy about it, so I must feel really special when carriers simply give me devices with no strings attached, eh? They certainly make great Christmas and Birthday presents for my family. LOL...
Thanks for the info. jibi I'm sorry for the name calling.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #63
mark0341

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830)

NOC NOC
Who's there

After 2hr delay

It's RIM we want to sale you the 9000 for $1000.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #64
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
...blame Apple for the price hikes. They set the bar high and now we will see everyone attempt to reach it.
That's because Apple's main customer base will pay higher then normal prices for their devices. Your also getting basically a mini OSX computer in your hand. It somewhat limited now, but this is only version 1. I'm sorry but the BB is a great device, but is nowhere as sophisticated as what Apple has under the hood.
If the 9000 was a giant leap forward is tech, then I could see a higher price. But it looks to me as if they just took the keyboard from the 8800, upped its innards a bit and gave it a better display. Nothing earth shattering and nothing even close to justifying that high a price. Even with carrier discounts, unless this device is selling in the $200-$350 range, it will be a turkey.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #65
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

after all discounts and rebates i am guessing top end of that range there Argon. Keep in mind that RIM offers additional discounts on devices to users that trade in another PDA device (or even other phones)
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #66
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
BlackBerry 9000 and the whopping $900-$1000 MSRP

BGR Radio: Episode 1 | The Boy Genius Report
Excellent! Keeps the riff-raff out of the club!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #67
PPCMD
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A

Cool then, I will trade in one of my older BB's to RIM direct and get my device if RIM gives a good discount.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #68
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you can trade in as many devices as you want to get the full discount. its up to $200 back. so you get your carrier discounts, THEN on top of that you get your $200 back from RIM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #69
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

I never intended to argue or disagree with Jibi, as I know I don't know a quarter of what he knows in regards to the subject. I am a sarcastic person by nature (blame New York City) and I tend to show it often, like in my previous post. I do feel the need to say one thing however; it's not that I didn't listen, I listened intently as this device is of great interest to me for its 3G and WiFi, and I did hear "rumors" and "speculation." I have a very analytical mind, and when I hear something said like that, I take it at face value because I don't know where you got your info, nor do I know all the other behind the scenes stuff that you apparently do.

I just heard you, or someone, say the words rumors and speculation, and related my opinions on it as I heard it. No, I am not trying to say that I know what you said better than you do. I am just repeating what I heard in its exact form, hence the reason I actually gave the time frame of when I heard it; just to back up that I am not imagining things.

If they are facts, thats great, I believe you as you obviously have access to info that I do not. All I am saying is that it might be a little bit better to say I have solid information that the price is going to be... as opposed to saying, the rumors are that the price is going to be... It would make it easier for us analytics to grasp.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #70
TheKidInside

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
The Iphone also set the bar in technology...
in...what touch screen technology that works like crap? great!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #71
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
in...what touch screen technology that works like crap? great!
You really have no clue. Use one for a week or two and get back to us.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #72
PPCMD

I have clients who have owned them since day 1, and per clients I have some say its great, some say its garbage. So users who have owned it on launch day clearly have differing opinions. So I feel its safe to say there are other Apple phone sites to cheer at.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #73
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
I have clients who have owned them since day 1, and per clients I have some say its great, some say its garbage. So users who have owned it on launch day clearly have differing opinions. So I feel its safe to say there are other Apple phone sites to cheer at.
I'm not cheering the iphone, It is a great device as is the BB, but when someone makes a stupid, uninformed comment, I feel its my place to point it out. And there is a big difference on what is "garbage" and what simply doesn't do what the user wants. I agree the iphone isn't for everyone, and that's great, but its hardly garbage. It works and works well. Now if you said Win Mobile is garbage, then I would have to agree with you.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 04-12-2008 at 03:21 PM..
Old 04-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #74
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

wow this convo. got crazy lol.
i thought i would drop my 2 cents in. i think everyone is comparing apple to oranges with this iPhone BB pricing. Blackberries pricing is just that, Blackberry. 9000 series is the best phone to come out of the Canadian company and that will reflect in its price, obviously. It will be the highest priced because of its features and the fact that they dont want prices to overlap amongest there phones. Im in canada and the 8310 is 299 3yrs of your life and 8800 is 424 3 yrs of your life. 9000 will certainly exceed these price to something about 549-599 id assume. Regardless if the iphone is $1 or $1000 the 9000 price has to reflect its features against other BB phone and there features. The difference in features and specs. has to be proportional to the price difference so consumers can justify it vs. other BB. People will have to decide if they even want an iPhone or BB before they can compare price.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #75
PPCMD

In the end as Jibi noted the SRP is just an that, or as I am understanding it more of a internal list price and that none of the Carriers would even consider using that as their Retail street price. I would say $600ish for retail and $499 for 1 year and $399 for 2 year contract pricing.

After all each individual buys a particular smartphone for a reason. I would have purchased the Apple phone IF, it had 3rd party apps at launch, IF it had some discount for a 2 year contract, IF it had real push email, IF I felt I could actually tolerate a touch only keyboard, IF it had 3G and finally IF I could actually swap the battery out when I needed to.

To me those are a log of IF's and when others talk about phone mfg's needing to get into what ever year or decade they see fit to compare they should note one thing. Apple does NOT want you swapping your battery on YOUR PHONE. Why, just explain to me why you should not be able to swap a battery, does that hinder the user experience? I think not. It has more to do with Apple making money off of their repair program, money off of you needing to upgrade more frequently which is why we see new versions every 6 months or so.

To me I don't need my iPod to be my phone, I need my iPod to be my iPod. I want my BB for email, contacts, calendar, tasks, web (I use Opera thanks) etc, etc. I have a 160GB ipod Classic and an 80GB 5.5 Gen Video so I am pretty well set for now.

I will concede on thing, the iPhone is for some and not for others.

So now about pricing and ETA, that I what I am most interested in.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #76
Yellowman

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

$1000 does sound steep for this new phone. Although I guess it is all supply and demand. There are always those that want to have it first. I would like to be one of them too, don't get me wrong, but I am not in that financial position to do so.

However, I think RIM should start giving shareholder discounts!! Or even freebies or beta units to test.
Closed Thread