BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #41
serrano_yejo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I love my BB but if someone hears this second part the impression of RIM will be that they are a "lazy" manufacturer...

BGR Radio: Episode 1 Part 2 | The Boy Genius Report

Is this the way to compete with APPLE?

BB are here since 1997 and are playing catch-up to the iPhone? The only reason they include 3G is because of new multimedia features, like the ability to email large attachments such as camera-phone photos, as well as the ability to tether the BlackBerry as a modem for laptop... that is it!!!!! RIM has been criticized for not including 3G/UMTS on any models other than the 8700 series but I read somewhere that email delivery on 3G units is often slower than EDGE and even GPRS, as emails are broken down into very small packets, each with its own encryption key ? is this true?

Last edited by serrano_yejo; 04-09-2008 at 10:06 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #42
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
I love my BB but if someone hears this second part the impression of RIM will be that they are a "lazy" manufacturer...

BGR Radio: Episode 1 Part 2 | The Boy Genius Report

Is this the way to compete with APPLE?

BB are here since 1997 and are playing catch-up to the iPhone? The only reason they include 3G is because of new multimedia features, like the ability to email large attachments such as camera-phone photos, as well as the ability to tether the BlackBerry as a modem for laptop... that is it!!!!! RIM has been criticized for not including 3G/UMTS on any models other than the 8700 series but I read somewhere that email delivery on 3G units is often slower than EDGE and even GPRS, as emails are broken down into very small packets, each with its own encryption key ? is this true?
The technical specifics I do not know, but I can tell you this from personal experience. Using my At&t Tilt I have sent an email with 10 pictures as attachments over 3G and it took just as long as sending the same email with my BlackBerry Curve. I even tried using the WiFi functions of the Tilt to send the same email, and even over WiFi, the speed increase was hardly noticeable.

Surfing the internet on the other hand is an entirely different beast where 3G eclipses EDGE...
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #43
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Interesting part2.

Everyone compares the BB to the Iphone because its pretty much "the" phone to have/get/want (majority). I bet every Iphone forum is compared to the BB as well :P
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 AM   #44
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Wirelessly posted (BB 8300)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
I do recall when first suretype 7100 appeared I paid $750 retail for it because I really really wanted to have that device. It was in 2005.
No, I was not taken advantage of by some eBay auction. I went to retail store of a major wireless carrier and paid sticker price for the 7100 they were selling.

I don't see $1000 MSRP as something extraordinary for 9000 in 2008 and may pay that much when that device appears at stores.

Many people don't realize how much of discount from device cost they get when they sign for three year service contract with wireless carrier. Of course, it is not true discount but rather credit given for 3 years term and recouped through montly fees.
Honestly, I've had all 3 new models (curve, 8800 and 8100) and if it WERE to be released at that price very few people would buy it. The die hards yeah, and I was going to myself, but I paid 250 for my curve 8 months ago brand new and no contract, and for the price tag of even 500 is too high for a faster processor than the iphones, and no where near as nice as os. Yes, I'm super comfy with my curve, full keyboard and the apps I have installed but still, 250 more for something that isn't really that much better. Yes, faster processor, but are they utilizing it? No, in the video, cool, it looks ok but from what bgr and jibi have said is that its nothing new, so I don't know. I might stick with my BlackBerry or I might even switch to an iphone as the new BlackBerry won't do anything superbly new or revolutionary.

Those were my 2 cents . Hehe. Don't hate me! But its true, there are no real os updates :$ same old same old.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #45
serrano_yejo

THIS IS WHAT THE iPHONE can do also... also in the market ... apparently they can affect the future...
Tech Trader Daily - Barronxxx8217;s Online : Research In Motion: Needham Launches With Hold Rating; Sees Consumer Blackberry Growth Slowed By iPhone

Needhamxxx8217;s Charlie Wolf today launched coverage of Research In Motion (RIMM) with a Hold rating, asserting that the companyxxx8217;s rapid growth in the consumer smartphone market could be slowed by the rapid growth of the Apple (AAPL) iPhone.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #46
serrano_yejo

Default IS THIS IS THE CASE... RIM is in trouble

Means that even with carrier subside the 3G BB will be more expensive than the 3G iPHONE...

3G iPhone Rumor Firehose Continues; $399 Starting Price, WWDC Launch | The Boy Genius Report
TG Daily - Apple 's 3G iPhone to be priced from $399
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #47
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrano_yejo View Post
THIS IS WHAT THE iPHONE can do also... also in the market ... apparently they can affect the future...
Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : Research In Motion: Needham Launches With Hold Rating; Sees Consumer Blackberry Growth Slowed By iPhone

Needham’s Charlie Wolf today launched coverage of Research In Motion (RIMM) with a Hold rating, asserting that the company’s rapid growth in the consumer smartphone market could be slowed by the rapid growth of the Apple (AAPL) iPhone.
i find this amusing though. Record growth last quarter, with the iPhone price being dropped. over 2million adds last quarter alone, up from an average of 700k. RIM blew away estimates that they previous gave to wall street. I think (at least for now) the consumer market is definately big enough for both, with the real losers being WinMo and Palm devices. (take a look at Palms quarterly report). Obviously I am no financial analyst, but just saying the numbers from last quarter.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #48
lindros2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

The other day, I realized that my Blackberry can do basically *everything* I need while on the road, without any of the overhead of a computer - or iPhone.

Example: My 8703e includes email, calendar, view PDF, view images (GIF/JPG), Yahoo IM, Google maps, Opera Mini, and "lightweight" browser. Gives me a high-speed EvDO computer modem as well.

As it relates to the 9000-series, is this worth $900-1000? Hell no. Give me an 8700-series with BBOS 4.2 for next to nothing...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #49
berryisthenewblack
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
I'm sorry, but between 1:26 and 1:30 into the podcast, the exact words are, and I quote:
"I've heard 'RUMORS' MSRPs gonna be somewhere in the $900-$1000 range."

Forgive me for taking the word rumors, which I heard in the podcast, and repeating it as such. Also, I beg forgiveness for thinking the MSRP (manufacturers suggested RETAIL price) is going to be the, umm... retail... price for a device with no contract or rebate. I also seem to recall the end of that particular line of conversation ending with "it's all speculation."

What was I thinking...
Apparently disagreeing with jibi-erish is considered high treason 'round these parts.

I too would be shocked if a blackberry retailed for $900-$1000 but I have no insider info. I am just a 6 year user.

Last edited by berryisthenewblack; 04-10-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

No, he simply didn't listen. I rarely will open my mouth with less than credible information, no matter if I decide to label it a rumor or not. Simply put, the information concerning the price tag is not a rumor, however carriers will mark the retail prices a lot lower out of the gate and subsidize it with contract much lower. The carriers can and will take a hit on the price for the devices, as the contact extensions and monthly fees are more than enough to make these losses up and then some.

If I was simply commenting on something someone else said on a radio show, then that's one thing... but I commented on what *I* said on a radio show, for God's sake. Honestly, I think I would be the authority over what I said, no?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #51
PPCMD

Model: 8820

Thanks for the info Jibi. I would like to get the BB 9000, but if the AT&T retail is $900-$1k even I would be hard pressed to justify it compared to say an iPhone 3G (not that I want one unless it was free). The background music that BGR used has got to go.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #52
jibi
BlackBerry God

AT&T's retail price will probably be 2/3 of that without a contract and close to 1/3-1/2 that with contract.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #53
mark0341
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
If you listen, assuming BG didn't edit all of the information (just kidding), you will not pay $900-1,000 under any circumstance. I would say the 2-year agreement may push it to iPhone-esque pricing, but I wouldn't expect more than the $400-600 range. The current BlackBerry devices launched at $300-400 under new contracts and extensions. Unfortunately, Moore's Law has only allowed us to get better devices but really hasn't had much to do with overall pricing (over the last couple years), aside from putting more under the hood for nominal increases in price.

...blame Apple for the price hikes. They set the bar high and now we will see everyone attempt to reach it. It will eventually come down, but I think you're going to get one damn good device in the 9000, if you're inclined to wanting and buying something bigger and better. I know I'll have one on launch day

jibi your a id10t
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #54
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

thread crapping^
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #55
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

yup yup yup
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #56
jibi
BlackBerry God

i love when people try to make points like the one above and end up making a gross spelling error... oh well.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #57
mark0341

Wirelessly posted (8830)

I don't pay contract prices. I pay full price. I do not want to be under contract.

Moores Law? What has Moores Law got to do with the 9000? Ther is not that much new on the 9000. The Dell Axim 51v had the same 625MHz processor and it is dead and gone.

Last edited by mark0341; 04-10-2008 at 10:16 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #58
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

and there is no point for the last line, yet again. if you disagree, fine, post that, leave out the name calling.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #59
mark0341

Wirelessly posted (8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice
and there is no point for the last line, yet again. if you disagree, fine, post that, leave out the name calling.
I will. No name calling.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #60
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0341 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830)

I don't pay contract prices. I pay full price. I do not want to be under contract.

Moores Law? What has Moores Law got to do with the 9000? Ther is not that much new on the 9000. The Dell Axim 51v had the same 625MHz processor and it is dead and gone.

That's why I called jibi an idiot.
The Axim had an Intel 624mhz processor but not the same chipset from Marvell, who bought Intel's XScale division. This is an entirely new processor with new features. But hey, let's not let that get in the way of calling me an idiot.

...and I haven't paid full price for a device in over 10 years. Come to think of it, I haven't even paid for a device in over 10 years, go figure. I mean, I know it must be something for you to be able to afford to pay full price for a device without a contract and be happy about it, so I must feel really special when carriers simply give me devices with no strings attached, eh? They certainly make great Christmas and Birthday presents for my family. LOL...