Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Default Bb9100!

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Nine Thou-what? Bring on the BlackBerry 9100! | The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
serrano_yejo

Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation why surprised?

Quote:
Perhaps most surprising to me is the mention of T-Mobile USA with respect to the BlackBerry 9000. The "error translator" is for the GAN/UMA technology.
Why surprised about T-MO...?

UMA Today: RIM sees āxxx8364;xxx339;unbelievableāxxx8364; potential in Wi-Fi and UMA

Quote:
RIM sees xxx8220;unbelievablexxx8221; potential in Wi-Fi and UMA

The Canadian Press today reported on RIMxxx8217;s co-CEO, Jim Balsillie, comments about the current state of the market. Quoting from the article:

[Balsillie] sees xxx8220;unbelievablexxx8221; potential in Wi-Fi technology and UMA xxx8211; unlicensed mobile access, a system allowing seamless roaming between local area networks and wide area networks, delivering voice, data and Internet access to mobile devices.

This convergence, Balsillie said, is xxx8220;incredibly positive to a carrier that thoughtfully embraces it.xxx8221;

It sounds like we can expect more UMA-enabled devices from RIM.
RIM co-CEO loves it... in fact he uses the 8320 as his daily device... Lazaridis: 3.5G Blackberry is xxx8220;very fastxxx8221; | The Boy Genius Report
Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Of course they're going to say they see unbelievable potential in a service that is around for the sole purpose of giving T-Mobile the ability to compete with Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint from the perspective of having the ability to penetrate to the home with their coverage... it helps their bottom line to get behind it.

Does Lazaridis live in the United States and use T-Mobile as his carrier? Something tells me the Co-CEO of a Canadian company uses his 8320 on Rogers, which does not currently offer UMA (although it will begin doing so in a few weeks).

The reason T-Mobile was a surprise was the fact that they aren't a launch carrier for the device. They will receive it eventually, but not at the time of launch. However, it is good to see they are already testing things with the unit.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
serrano_yejo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Of course they're going to say they see unbelievable potential in a service that is around for the sole purpose of giving T-Mobile the ability to compete with Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint from the perspective of having the ability to penetrate to the home with their coverage... it helps their bottom line to get behind it.

Does Lazaridis live in the United States and use T-Mobile as his carrier? Something tells me the Co-CEO of a Canadian company uses his 8320 on Rogers, which does not currently offer UMA (although it will begin doing so in a few weeks).

The reason T-Mobile was a surprise was the fact that they aren't a launch carrier for the device. They will receive it eventually, but not at the time of launch. However, it is good to see they are already testing things with the unit.
The point of my post is that with UMA... Is a win-win for all of us... For example with my curve 8320 I can talk and internet at the same time... When you travel international and have to make calls... believe me UMA enabled phones rock... you can turn off WI-FI if you dont need it... save a little battery ... turn it on... save some minutes ...
Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

I agree it's amazing technology, but I believe the adoption rate has been slower than expected. It's one of those technologies that should have been implemented 3-5 years ago and was likely implemented too late to have a lasting impact. I hope I'm wrong, though.