Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
LIR

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Personal Argentina
Default Why BES service would cost more than BIS service

Please Login to Remove!

Dear all: I need your BES expertise on a service provider issue. I know the basic different between BIS and BES service and the advantages from BES over BIS. We have our BES server in houce (CALs licenses, BES server license, install and maintain BES server and BB devices).

Our data service provider offer us the following:
Data service per month for BIS (example, 20 dollars)
Data service per month for BES (example, 40 dollars)

The big question is why? If the answer is that the BES software that is installed in the BB device has a highly cost, it should be only an INITIAL cost, not per month cost.

My question is, in the wireless network (where the provider has hands on), they provide a different service for BES BB devices?, the give a different treatment to packet from a BB BES device? than they give for a BIS BB device? I don't have this clear, from blackberry infrastructure.

I would like to know, because I know there countries where the monthly cost is the same, the only different is the software installed in the BB device.

Your help will be really appreciated.

Best regards

LIR
Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

More features on the device = More service books = More impact on the RIM network = More $$ per month.

BES offers wireless enterprise activation, wireless email reconciliation, full wireless PIM sync, Address Lookups to company GAL, MDS services, (soon-to-be OTA software updates), secure IM, etc...

There's a lot more involved with BES than there is with BIS, thus it's more expensive.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
LIR

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Personal Argentina

Penguin: can you explain a more detail, what means more impact in the blackberry infrastructure using BES?

Thanks in advanced

Best regards

LIR
Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
My question is, in the wireless network (where the provider has hands on), they provide a different service for BES BB devices?, the give a different treatment to packet from a BB BES device? than they give for a BIS BB device? I don't have this clear, from blackberry infrastructure.
BES is a different grade of services and reliability. You will hear more of BIS outage than you will BES outage,
Old 05-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
chinatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

How about ... because it's what the market will bear? BES bills are typically footed by companies (as opposed to individuals), and they're willing to pay for the service...
Old 05-31-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Not all service providers will charge different for BIS or BES.
my carrier does not care about the difference.
I only have to pay for the amount of data.
15 Euros = 30MB
25 Euros = 250MB
They switch on either BIS or BES or Both.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

I don't think there is one answer to this. Different regions, with different network physical infrastructures, will have different cost basis' for their charging structures. x14/penguin3107 are correct when they effectively say that a typical BES BB/user will transmit more data across networks than a BIS user. this might lead to networks "by default" charging more for BES because it causes more of an impact on their network, or because they think that is "fair" or because of associated roaming costs/agreements that are more likely to be invoked by "BES" users than BIS. nobody7290 just demonstrates another way of costing the usage-based model, using capped limits, i.e. you pay for MB (although why anyone would pay €15 for 30MB is beyond me - maybe this is an even less fair way of selling plans, by making one so ridiculous you don't really have a choice, and pay €25 for 250MB )