Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
roveer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Deletes & opens from exchange don't appear on BB

Please Login to Remove!

On Sunday I added a 5 cal liscense (no problems)
On Monday I added 1 additional user (now 2 total) (no problems)

Today it seems that when we delete/move/open things in outlook it takes a very long time for theses changes to appear on our BB's. I can't say how long we've had this problem but we noticed it today.

Received mail in outlooks shows up on our BB's in seconds. Deletes/opens/deletes from our BB appear in seconds in outlook.

It just seems things in the other direction are clogged up or very slow.

Ideas?

Roveer
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
soupandsandwich

Sounds like it's working as designed.
Reconciliation is done on a prioritized batch schedule. It's not always immediate.
Sometimes it can appear to be instant, and other times it might be 15-20 minutes later.
All depends on what else is happening on the BES.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
TreeDude

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626
Carrier: Verizon

That is completely normal. The default is for the BES to scan mailboxs for changes every 30min. This value can be changed via the registry as of SP6. To do this go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Agents

Create a DWORD called FolderRescanTime and set it to the time you want in seconds (30min = 1800) and restart your services. Do not set it too low as you may cause performance to drop. Setting the value to 0 will lockup your BES.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
roveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDude View Post
That is completely normal. The default is for the BES to scan mailboxs for changes every 30min. This value can be changed via the registry as of SP6. To do this go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Agents

Create a DWORD called FolderRescanTime and set it to the time you want in seconds (30min = 1800) and restart your services. Do not set it too low as you may cause performance to drop. Setting the value to 0 will lockup your BES.
Almost makes sense. I'm watching to see if my changes come across AT ALL. Right now I haven't been seeing my opens/moves/deletes at all on my BB, so I'm watching. The user I added has a huge number of folders and has chosen to sync them all to his BB so I guess I'm giving BES a lot more work to do.

I'm running BES 4.1.4a Professional. Does the registery hack still apply? If not, anything I can do to tune Pro?

Roveer
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
TreeDude

Unfortunately you are out of luck if you are using BPS.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
roveer

I'm hoping this user will settle down after he gets used to his BB. He's the only person I've ever known (10 years of managing email) that creates folders in his sent items. Can't get it through his head that he's wasting time with all these dozens of folders and that "search" is your friend. I've watched him spend minutes and minutes trying to find a message when he can't figure out which folder he put it in.

That's probably my problem here with BES. It ran just fine until I added him with all his folders. He hit me up with why his sent messages were not downloading any body until he did a "more" (no auto more on sent items). As designed. He's got to scale it back a bit. Hopefully he'll come to that conclusion on his own.

Roveer
Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
TreeDude

Many people don't realize that even though Blackberry is the king of mobile email, that it is still not perfect. Even I was surprised at some of the limitations when I first got my Blackberry (about a year and a half ago). Heck, you didn't even have HTML support until OS 4.5 and many carriers still don't have it for their current lines of BBs.

Closed Thread