BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #21
remaxman

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

For the life of me i cant get bluetooth to work after upgrading to windows 7. I downloaded the new drivers for bluetooth from broadcom. I downloaded the update for DM. Desk manager will connect to my phone. But it craps out as soon as I go to sync. it gives an error of "connector specific error"
Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
SpawnMOD

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Note for anyone having problem with DM stating "Before you begin, verify that your.."

For anyone having the issue with Desktop Manager stating "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer", this may resolve your problem (it worked for me even with Bluetooth):

1) Make sure no "Desktop Manager" components are running. You may need to kill BbDevMgr.exe, RIMDeviceManager.exe, and DesktopMgr.exe using Task Manager

2) Run regedit.exe

3) Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Manager

4) Create a new 32bit dword reg value named "DeviceConnection" and set the value to 1

5) Launch Desktop Manager

For me this was a new install in a VM I created to test this with. I noticed that there was no value named "DeviceConnection" where one does exist on a machine of mine that is working. Once I did this, then DM would at least start up and not show that stupid message screen where it then does not allow you to select the device. It appears that the programmers at RIM need to go back to school and learn how to test application updates and use FRESH computer images for their testing.

HTH
Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #23
bhgreenellc

Model: 8330
Default Win 7 64bit / Curve 8330 USB issues revisited

I was able to get past the "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer" by following the instructions from the post by SpawnMOD, however DM 5.0.1 still won't see either of my Blackberry Curves. The machine still sees them attach, loads the Blackberry device driver and makes the connect sound, but DM never sees the device.

Even on my 32bit Vista machine where DM works, it actually does fail to sync my exchange calendar, so i am using DM, with a special outlook profile, to sync contacts and notes, and Google Calendar to sync my calendar. Can it get any more complicated. And all of this because Verizon Wireless has the nerve to charge an extra $15/month to allow enterprise activation so I can use BPS!!!

Barry
Old 11-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Cathbad

I have similar problems. I have a Tour.
I had a similar problem with a device that calibrates color for use with Photoshop. A friend suggested trying to use the compatibility option. It worked with the calibration program.
It has not worked with the 5.01. I'm going to drop back to the 4.xx
series and see if that works. I got Bluetooth to work but that doesn't give me backup or calendar.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
rcobourn

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

I got past this problem on an Asus Eee PC 1005HA by completely uninstalling Desktop Manager (making sure to use the option to remove all settings). Reboot. Reinstall DM. Open DM, then attach Blackberry. No idea why it worked, but it did.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
guachi

Model: 8300
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Bluetooth sync in Windows 7

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Portege R500 (Toshiba Bluetooth Stack) with Windows 7 Professional edition and I can't get the Destkop Manager to detect my Blackberry Curve 8900 with Bluetooth.

no problem syncing with the USB clable, but no luck with Bluetooth.

Can anyone help me?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #27
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Hnags the whole shooting match!

Not only does my DM and Bold 9700 get hung, but it knocks out my internet connection for all programs under Win7. Funny thing is, I don't have the problem on my Acer Laptop running the same OS and same DM version. But I bought a new desktop pc from Dell with Win7 Ult installed, and when I downloaded BBDM 5.0, it all got buggy and the "fix" was to restore the PC OS to what was running before I DL'ed BBDM, so it's clearly implicated. I guess I can try the reigistry edit fix, but by B.A. with that sort of thing is below the Mendoza line.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
epm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sure glad I saw your post. I just got a Dell with Windows 7, everything on the RIM site looked like it should work with 5.0 DM. But I chickened out and installed 4.6. Worked perfectly, no issues at all synching with my outdated Outlook2003.

Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
jberdegue

Model: 8900
Carrier: MOVISTAR
Default Cannot make Desktop Manager 5.0 to work with windows 7

I have a new DELL Latitude notebook with windows 7 and Outlook 2007. I installled Desktop Manager 5.0.1. I cannot get past the configurations to synchronize:

1) When I select the options for direction of synchronization , an Error window pops up, with no error message in it besides the "Error" heading. I then close down that and...

2) I select Outlook (the same happens with all the options) and it askes me to slect my Outlook user profile, but no options are actually given. If I press "Next", then a ew error message pops up that says "This option cannot be accepted.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #30
binoz

Model: Bold
Carrier: Telstra
Default Also can't make desktop manager and windows 7 work

Hi

I have a new Sony running Windows 7. I have just purchased a Bold 9700. I originally installed DM Version 5.0.1. Got the error message. Unstalled it, twice.
installed DM 4.7. I'm still getting the Error message when I try set up the synchronization with Outlook. Any suggestions.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #31
Cathbad

Question Win 7 & Desktop Manager are not compatable.

I have a Tour. I had no trouble until I moved to Win 7 (64 bit).
I can not get the Manager to recognize the BlackBerry.
I have tried older versions. I've tried running in Safe Mode.
It is not the Blackberry's fault. It works fine with my LapTop that is still running 32Bit Vista.
I just upgraded the OS in the Tour, but I have gotten no improvement.
Any tricks would be appreciated.
Thnaks.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #32
expatCanuck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How to prevent DM from starting automatically in Win7 ??

BBDM works with my Windoze 7 (64-bit Home version) install, tho' it can be dodgy (especially the Media Manager component).

After DM ran the first time, Win7 provided a message to the effect that it was going to run DM in a different mode (presumably 32-bit compatible?).

I've also found that at least one component (BB Media Sync) requires that the 8520 be powered on before plugging in, or the microSD card won't be seen (Media Manager doesn't seem to have this issue).

That said, I'd love to be able to have BBDM NOT start automatically upon bootup. Anyone know how to do that?

- Richard

Last edited by expatCanuck; 04-09-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #33
Ksesn

Model: 9700
Carrier: telus
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoz View Post
Hi

I have a new Sony running Windows 7. I have just purchased a Bold 9700. I originally installed DM Version 5.0.1. Got the error message. Unstalled it, twice.
installed DM 4.7. I'm still getting the Error message when I try set up the synchronization with Outlook. Any suggestions.

I am wondering if the 9700 Bold doesn't have an operating system problem??

I am trying to link my new 9700 Bold to my computer running Windows 7 and the DM won't recognise the phone. I have tried two different USB cables on four different USB ports with no success.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BBDM 5.0.1 four times now with no success.

When I connect the 9700 to my laptop running BBDM 5.0.1 on Vista it works great but my faster more powerful desktop running Windows 7 doesn't work, it just won't see the 9700.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Just got an HP laptop with Win 7/64 and it didn't like the original CD I got with my BB.

I had thought using the original software might allow me to use my old backups but that's not really important. My 8310 still works good. I just need the right software to install a "Desktop Manager" on this new computer so I can begin backing up to this computer.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #35
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

It would appear that the BB site only offers one selection for download of Desktop Manager for PC and I downloaded it but I didn't install it yet.

My concern is getting a conflict of Operating systems. My pnone has it OS updated to 4.5.0.110 but I use version 4.2 on my XP machine because it is the last DM that would sync with my Outlook which is in Office 2000.

I am using Open Office on thind machine with ThunderBird and I'm not sure what I am going to sync to yet. I thought I would wait and see what defaults may be offered. But I will let you know what happens.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #36
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I recommend using the latest version of Desktop Manager as it is compatible with Windows 7.
The versions of Desktop Manager and the handheld OS are completely independent of each other - the version numbers don't matter.

I've never seen DM sync with Thunderbird. You may want to do a search to see what others have done.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

If you use T-Bird and Lightning as I do, look into Google sync for contacts and calendar. I don't use the contact sync as most of mine are static, but I have found the calendar sync works very well to keep the Lightning on the Macs, Outlook 2003/2007 on the PCs and the BB and iPhone calendars in sync. You will get an occasional dupe, but I have not found that to be a big issue. Use Google's search feature to find out more.

You are correct about having to use DM 4.2 for Outlook 2000. DM 4.3 and above will only work woth Outlook 2003/2007. Not sure what the plan is for 2010 though.

Of course email doesn't sync if you are on BIS.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #38
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, installation went without a hiccup. I just followed all the prompts and accepted the defaults and it loaded my BB just fine. I did a Backup and was able to place that where I wanted. The only issue is Blue Tooth. I think this laptop doesn't have it. At least, it was not listed in Device Manager. But I had a simple dongle adding Blue Tooth to my desktop and I plugged that in and immediately got a verification that my Blue Tooth had installed correctly. I checked in Device manager and there it was, (with no red or yellow marks around it). But BB DM still won't recognize my 8310.

Two things I did prior to installation, one, I removed "content Protection" and "Disabled" my password. I will turn them back on soon as everything is set up right. the other thing is that I made sure that my BB Blue Tooth was "Discoverable for Two Minutes" and I kept renewing that to make sure my PC could "see" it.

I made sure the "Check Mark" was in place for "Enable Blue Tooth" in the "Connection Options". So I am not sure what to check next.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #39
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am not sure how, but I got Blue Tooth working, at least somewhat. I found that I had to temporaarily turn "Discoverability" completely "On" to configure it. Then, it seems the laptop and my BB insisted that it use the "Name" I had given my old computer. I didn't try to change that because I was trying to accept as many of the defaults as possible. Then, the BB and laptop wanted a "Pairing Number" which it said I could "find on the device" or "contact the manufacturer." I just made up a number and entered it in both the laptop and the BB and the connection established itself and the remaining drivers installed.

I was able to do a backup via BT so I quit there. I still don't have anything set up to sync it to. Having a backup is my primary concern. After that, I will think about which calander I want to use that I might be able to sync with. Other than that, all seems well. The only thing that looks odd is that the DM doesn't say "Connected" like the old one did unless I have the USB cable connected. Or maybe it identifiies the connection differently and I didn't see it. Bottom line is that it works.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #40
Scragglygoat

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Trying to get Desktop Manager to sync to my Bold 9000 on Windows 7. I've checked the RIM site and they say that 5.01 works under Windows 7, but when I try to set up sync options I get a "Microsoft Outlook Connector Error" which says "No available message stores". I've seen a lot of discussion referring to Windows 7 Beta, and one solution was to uninstall Outlook 2010, re-install Outlook 2007, configure the settings, uninstall 2007 and re-install 2010 again. Unfoutunately I didn't have Outlook 2007 on this before, so that's not really an option. Even if I got a CD I don't have a valid key for Outlook 2007. Can anyone help me with how to fix or work around this?
Closed Thread