Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)
Default Reboot of AD breaks BES till service restart

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure when this started happening, either on a new BES or with Exchange 2007 but the basic issue is that if I restart my Global Catalog server in active directory then all users of BES can no longer send outgoing emails (instantly get red X). Incoming still fine. If I restart the BES server or services it all works again.
Anyone know about this?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

GC helps exchange, If GC down then Exchange does not know what to do. If exhcange does not know what to do the BES does not know what to do.

I run 2 GC and 2 DC for my Exchange. If eithe DC is rebooted I send out a silent test message to a user to see if BES was affected.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
rsk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

have you tried this: A MAPI program may not obtain a referral server when the global catalog server to which the MAPI program points is shut down
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

As an aside, for Windows Updates, my Domain Controllers are set to reboot first, then my Exchange servers, then the rest. This was the catalyst for my decision.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

So seems like this *shouldn't* happen since I have 2 DC and those are both GC's. Maybe its a setting on my exch 2007 then? Weird though cause outlook mail still goes in and out and it doens't recover once the server is back up. I need to restart the bes service ( I think just dispatcher? but I do router and another too).

edit: and i hesitate to do the KB steps as it says for exch 03 and I think this shouldn't happen and I doubt if everyone applied the reg changes in that KB.

Last edited by Inphektion; 11-03-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old 11-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
rsk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
edit: and i hesitate to do the KB steps as it says for exch 03 and I think this shouldn't happen and I doubt if everyone applied the reg changes in that KB.
don't do that, the hotfix and registry setting go on the BES server. that is where you have a MAPI client connecting as a service right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKB
CAUSE
During the shutdown of a global catalog server, when the Exchange 2003 server tries to locate a new global catalog server, the Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC) service returns the KDC_ERR_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN error code to the Exchange 2003 server. Then, the Exchange 2003 server passes a failed credentials error back to the MAPI program. This behavior causes the connection to stop using process credentials and to enter a user credentials state. However, the user credentials state will fail when the MAPI program is running as a service. This failure occurs because the MAPI program cannot prompt for credentials.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
sdeviller
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Does this help?

BlackBerry smartphone users are unable to send email messages but can receive email messages until the BlackBerry Dispatcher service is restarted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc ID : KB13157
Last Modified : 2007-12-13
Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.0 and later
Microsoft® Exchange 2003
SDR118345

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem
BlackBerry smartphone users are unable to send email messages from their BlackBerry smartphones, but are able to receive email messages. In the BlackBerry Messaging Agent (MAGT) log files, the following entry is displayed for the affected BlackBerry smartphone users:

This issue typically starts with a small number of BlackBerry smartphone users, but over time it affects all BlackBerry smartphone users.

Also seen in the MAGT log files is the following text:

Failed to Resolve Name in ScanGAL. User:

This text displays for every BlackBerry smartphone user on the BlackBerry Messaging Agent, with the line appearing every 12 minutes until the BlackBerry Messaging Agent is restarted.

Cause
The BlackBerry Enterprise Server is unable to communicate with the intended global catalog server referenced in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) profile. At the beginning of the MAGT log files, a specific global catalog server is being referenced and after a restart of the BlackBerry Dispatcher or BlackBerry Controller services, another global catalog server is being referenced.

These entries can be found in the log files by looking for the following text:

[ENV] Global Catalog Server (GCS) from the BlackBerry MAPI profile

Resolution
This issue has been identified by Microsoft and a hotfix has been released. Search for the Microsoft support article 929439 here .

Note: As part of this resolution, global catalog server referrals on the Microsoft Exchange servers must be turned on.

Workaround
Restart the BlackBerry Dispatcher service on the affected BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Important: Restarting certain BlackBerry Enterprise Server services will delay email message delivery to BlackBerry smartphones. For more information, see KB04789.

Additional Information
To install a hotfix for this issue, complete the following steps:

To obtain this hotfix for this issue, contact Microsoft.
Apply this hotfix on the client-side MAPI program (BlackBerry Enterprise Server running Microsoft Exchange System Manager).
Due to file dependency, Microsoft Exchange System Manager 2003 Service Pack 2 must be installed before applying the hotfix.
During installation, the BlackBerry Dispatcher service will need to be stopped.
Important: Restarting certain BlackBerry Enterprise Server services will delay email message delivery to BlackBerry smartphones. For more information, see KB04789.

Once the hotfix is installed, it is recommended that the file information for Emsabp32.dll be verified to ensure the hotfix has been applied successfully.
Warning: The following procedure involves modifying the computer registry. This can cause substantial damage to the Microsoft® Windows® operating system. Document and back up the registry entries prior to implementing any changes.

After the hotfix is installed, add the registry that is listed in the Microsoft support article onto the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Products & Services:
BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange

By downloading, accessing or otherwise using the Knowledge Base documents you agree: (a) that the terms of use for the documents found at apply to your use or reference to these documents; and (b) not to copy, distribute, disclose or reproduce, in full or in part any of the documents without the express written consent of RIM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Wow yea all this hit the nail on head.
So you other bes admin applied this hotfix and registry change to your BES's?
I'm just still slightly concerned cause the hotfix states "Because of file dependencies, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) must be installed on the server before you apply this hotfix."
Yet I'd be installing it on my BES server that connects to exchange 2007.

And the RIM KB article also says exch 2003, did they just not update it for exch 2007?

Edit: Or maybe everyone is just in the habit of restarting the dispatcher after a GC reboot? Its just weird cause I didn't have this issue the past 7 years I've been running a BES till lately and I've never applied this hotfix before.

Last edited by Inphektion; 11-03-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

so anyone else applied this? seems like everyone would have to...
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
rsk
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes.. or you just work around it by rebooting in order every time..

not sure about 2007 but I assume it will just pass the failed credentials error back to the MAPI client the same as 2003 does. This wouldn't be the only RIM documentation thats out of date
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #11
sdeviller

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

Ya, not to sure about 2007. I have a few sites setup with BES and Exchange 2003. I think the key is to make sure that the Exchange server, and the any Exchange components on the BES are at the same update/version levels.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

ok thanks guys. i've decided for now to just restart the dispatcher after the GC reboots. Doesn't happen often, if it gets to be a pain I know how to fix it now... thanks.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
rsk
Thumbs Must Hurt

just noticed this article that may help while reading the BB RSS feed:

Turn on global catalog referrals in a Microsoft Exchange 2007 environment:
BlackBerry Search Results

It has you make a change to the Outlook profile used by the BES server and seems to relate specifically to Exchange 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Additional Info
After completing the steps in the Procedure section, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server handles global catalog outages better by connecting to a different global catalog. There may be some errors in the log files and a temporary loss of email messaging on the BlackBerry smartphone while the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is switching over to the new global catalog.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
e_brown

Model: 8830

we're running exchange 2003 and i'm about to install the hotfix and reg settings as outlined in the rim article. Our AD Admins like to apply GCS patches over the weekend and we end up with lots of unhappy blackberry customers.

How many Bes Admins have done this procedure with success? Any tried with no success? Thx
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
e_brown

Just a little apprehensive after reading this Warning concerning the hotfix. -------->

WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
JavaJunkee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Inphektion -

As you, we just experience this recently. We have three local DC's, which for years have been reboot occasionally for security updates, etc. I'm wonding if a recent update to BES or Exchange2007 has caused this.

We're running:

Exchange -
  • Windows Server 2008 Enterprise SP1
  • Exchange 2007 SP1 w/Rollup 3

BES -
  • Windows Server 2003 SP2
  • BES 4.1.6 MR2
Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
e_brown

Our problem with this just started recently also. Maybe since the install of MR2.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

I'm on exchange 2007 sp1 rollup 5
bes 4.1.6 mr2

My guess is it happened after one of the exch rollups or one of the updates on the bes. I sure wasn't seeing this behavior for the past 3 years.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I had all my network switches powered off for an hour due to UPS not coming online.
Once the switches powered up everything was working.
BB users were gettting emails with out restarting the BES.

4.1.6 MR2
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #20
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
I had all my network switches powered off for an hour due to UPS not coming online.
Once the switches powered up everything was working.
BB users were gettting emails with out restarting the BES.

4.1.6 MR2
that doesn't mean much. if the AD link came back up before the BES link went looking for it then I'd imagine you would be fine. Kill the link to your AD without killing link to bes and then see...
Plus keep in mind this only happens when ONE of my AD's goes down even though BOTH are GC's. You have to do this to the one GC the BES is using.
Closed Thread