Old 03-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
Poobarellah
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default 7290 vs. 8800

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,
I have a 7290 that is on it's last breath. I don't know if I should buy an 8800 or wait for the 8300 (or beyond???). Advice/Suggestions?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Don't worry about it

I have both...the 8800 coming from a 7290....like going from never having a BB to having one. It's that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobarellah
Hi all,
I have a 7290 that is on it's last breath. I don't know if I should buy an 8800 or wait for the 8300 (or beyond???). Advice/Suggestions?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

It pretty much depends on what features you need/want.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART

You're pretty much asking a question to which there is no objective answer. I'm afraid you'll have to try it for yourself to see if you like it.

But I share the opinions above...best BB I've had yet.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Had 7290, went to 8700 awesome!!! Played with an 8800 only reason I don't have one now lack of funds 8800=AWESOME but now rumors of another device I am buying new device this year and it will probably be an 8800 I dont have much need for all the fancy camera and stuff. I think the 8800 may change your life.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
SimonMac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: :(
PIN: Absent :(
Carrier: None :(

IMHO I would try and get my hands on a "Pre Loved" 8700 to keep you going if the 7290 dies, I would then wait for the 8800 with Camera & WiFi (8830 iirc). The 8800 is a could have been device, it could have been fantastic but its only very good in reality.
But still have the 1 Constant Headache?!?!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

I'll second that the 8800 is a great device IMO. Media support is a big plus over the 87XX series and the built-in GPS is really handy. I'll probably get an 83XX but until then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMac
IMHO I would try and get my hands on a "Pre Loved" 8700 to keep you going if the 7290 dies, I would then wait for the 8800 with Camera & WiFi (8830 iirc).
It's the 83XX series and they're really entirely separate models. Not all carriers will offer the model with WiFi and/or GPS.

How are you making a device recommendation without even knowing the OP's needs/wants?

Quote:
The 8800 is a could have been device, it could have been fantastic but its only very good in reality.
...because...?

Last edited by takeshi; 03-28-2007 at 08:20 AM..
Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
SimonMac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: :(
PIN: Absent :(
Carrier: None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
...because...?
All the pre launch hype was around an all in one world beating device, with camera, wifi, gps, trackball etc and in reallity is a bit of a let down especially when you add the poor built quality and flakey OS. As i said the 8800 is still a very good device, just not worthy of the wet dreams somepeople are having over it as there is room for improvement.

I've always been a beliver of buying something that exists rather than waiting for something that may be coming along at a later date, but for those people who don't needs GPS or media support I still think the 8700 is a better device, and buying second hand will avoid being tied into a new contract so if/when the 8300 is released they can choose that if it meets their requirements.
But still have the 1 Constant Headache?!?!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

Quote:
All the pre launch hype was around an all in one world beating device, with camera, wifi, gps, trackball etc and in reallity is a bit of a let down especially when you add the poor built quality and flakey OS. As i said the 8800 is still a very good device, just not worthy of the wet dreams somepeople are having over it as there is room for improvement.

I've always been a beliver of buying something that exists rather than waiting for something that may be coming along at a later date, but for those people who don't needs GPS or media support I still think the 8700 is a better device, and buying second hand will avoid being tied into a new contract so if/when the 8300 is released they can choose that if it meets their requirements.
You bought into the BGR reality distortion field as to what the 8800 was "going" to be, and were disappointed he was wrong. I don't think this makes the 8800 any lesser of a device. BTW I suspect he will be off from the 8300 as well.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I'm in the same boat with my 7290, recently broke the case and my battery is failing. It has served me well for over 2 years and I think i'm going to get the 8800. I thought about waiting to see if anything changed with the 8300 but really the 8800 has everything I want (other than 3G) but nevertheless there always is the 30 days to return it or chenge to a different one (8300?) so I feel pretty confident about the change.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde_turkey
You bought into the BGR reality distortion field as to what the 8800 was "going" to be, and were disappointed he was wrong. I don't think this makes the 8800 any lesser of a device. BTW I suspect he will be off from the 8300 as well.
I think many of us fell into the BGR hype and I too was a bit disappointed the 8800 did not come equipped with 3G or WiFi. All thing aside, I'm quite happy with the 8800 at this point. I do wish the build quality was better, and though I'm used to the new keyboard now, I can't help but envy the 8300 for the wider space between the keys.

Either choice is a worthy upgrade from the 7290. But it really does come down to what you're looking for in a device. I don't think there's a clear cut answer.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
rfciv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: ATT

I switched from a 7290 to an 8800 week or 2 ago, there is big diffrence.
I am happy w/ the switch. If I could say anything negative about the 8800, it the keyboard. The 7290 is the nicest querty board I have ever used.
Hope this helps
Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety
Carrier: AT&T
Default Hang in there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfciv
I switched from a 7290 to an 8800 week or 2 ago, there is big diffrence.
I am happy w/ the switch. If I could say anything negative about the 8800, it the keyboard. The 7290 is the nicest querty board I have ever used.
Hope this helps

Yep I too finally made the new BB switch from my beloved 7290 to the 8800. Love everything except the keyboard. I can go 3 times faster with fewer mistakes on my 7290. If I had known the 8300 was around the corner then I would have waited. Thought very hard about taking the 8800 back, but with the 8300 launch date in the air I hated to give up all the stuff about the 8800 I liked.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait a bit and see what happens with the 8300. The key board LOOKS to be MUCH better.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
I don't see how hype generated by Blackberry forum sites or people/sites like BGR should be a criticism of the device itself. Your criticism should be with those posting the hype (or, more accurately, violating their NDA's) and those buying into the hype and spreading it -- not to mention those with "wet dreams" that confuse them with reality. ;)

RIM has never marketed it as an "all-in-one world beating device". They're clearly releasing several models for different niches and buyers need to evaluate whether a given device meets their specific wants/needs. The 88XX is their "corporate"/cameraless line.

As for poor build quality and flakey OS it seems to be a YMMV issue. I have experienced neither with my 8800.

Quote:
I definitely agree here but once again, anyone considering a new device needs to research the facts, try out the device instore or during the return window that the carrier offers and not rely on hype. Any time you rely on hype you'll be disappointed whether it's the 8800, the 83XX, the iPhone, or whatever the latest pretty looking thin device Motorola is releasing... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLFIRE
I think many of us fell into the BGR hype and I too was a bit disappointed the 8800 did not come equipped with 3G or WiFi.
..and again, you can't rely on prelease devices for facts on what the released version will offer. They're certainly nowhere near as bad as concept cars that never get released but specs can and do change -- that's why they're prerelease/preproduction. If you want the facts, get the officially announced release dates and the officially announced specs (though to be fair, Cingular did botch that by indicating that the 8800 had a camera early on). Info from people like BGR should be taken for what it really is. It's not any manufacturer's mistake if people assume that these are final product. They're not. What's worse is that people like BGR don't always have the specific model number of the preproduction units which was a bit confusing since there are multiple models in both the 88XX and 83XX lines with different features.

Did BGR ever say that any 88XX would have 3g? I don't seem to recall that... All I've seen is forum members expecting 3G (which doesn't make it reality, obviously). Not to mention that 3G on the current processor/OS is pointless unless you're tethering anyway.

Last edited by takeshi; 03-29-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Well went ahead and got the 8800 yesterday and so far am very happy with it. Have everything working well and got BBmaps working after dl from the blackberry site. The GPS was the feature that sold it for me. Only 2 negatives as of right now, as mentioned the keys willl take some getting used to and the left side of the case is molded a little bit longer than the right so it has a lip that sticks out.

Other than that is all good.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM   #16
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Default Terrible in sunlight

Well I think the 8800 stinks in the sunlight. Mater of fact I am looking for a 7290 because it is so good outdoors. However, the wheels on that series wears out. What to do?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
clyde_turkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800r
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

You could just order parts for the 7200 series.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #18
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsb
Well I think the 8800 stinks in the sunlight. Mater of fact I am looking for a 7290 because it is so good outdoors. However, the wheels on that series wears out. What to do?

Yes it isn't all that difficult to replace the trackwheel your self. Jog wheel on 8700 wore out before my 7230 or my 7290. the part itself will run you about 50 bucks! buy an old bb 72xx and take jogwheel from it
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner
Yes it isn't all that difficult to replace the trackwheel your self. Jog wheel on 8700 wore out before my 7230 or my 7290. the part itself will run you about 50 bucks! buy an old bb 72xx and take jogwheel from it
What are you telling me? It looks as if you have to unsolder it. Not true?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsb
That's really interesting... I've never had the wheel wear out on any of the five models that I've used and I'm a heavy BB user. However, I do use the keyboard shortcuts a lot. If you don't you might want to check into them as well as the procedure for trackwheel replacement.
Closed Thread