BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Markell3000

Model: 8320
PIN: 241EC308
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default internet browser not working if wi-fi is off. HELP!

Please Login to Remove!

When I try and you the web browser on my new 8320 a message appears after I type an address like google.com. It reads as follows: "This is a wi-fi service. Please ensure your device has an active wi-fi connection and try again."
The problem is shouldn't I be able to us the browser on the EDGE network without turning on my wi-fi. What can I do?
Also my internet settings and preferred brwser options display that I prefer internet browser. I'm stumped.
Thanks for any help.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
MicroT86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Try this:
Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration > Change to "Internet Browser"
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
mattyx

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroT86 View Post
Try this:
Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration > Change to "Internet Browser"
I've been having problems like this too. I dont see Internet browser in my browser settings, I only have t-zones and Wifi browser.

How do I get it back? I have re-sent my service books and re-registered.

Thanks,

/m/

Last edited by mattyx; 09-25-2007 at 04:59 PM..
Old 09-26-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:55 AM..
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
slow

Model: curve
Carrier: T-mo

to surf via edge, you need to set the Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration > Change to "tzone"

to surf via WIFI, you need to set the Options > Advanced Options > Browser > Default browser configuration > Change to "WIFI browser"

i am sure some will tell you that it switches automatically. mine does not. give it a try.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
alex710

Model: 8300
Default Wi-Fi Connection Problem

I've been having the same exact problem as described above. I also only had the T-zones and Wi-Fi Browser as the only 2 options. I had to call T-Mobile 3times and they finally transferred me to Blackberry themselves and they were able to resolve the issue. Since this is brand new to T-Mobile, the reps were not exactly the most proficient on this device yet. I'm glad they transferred me to blackberry and that resolved the issue.

The problem is that you must have T-zones, Wi-Fi Browser, and Internet Browser as the 3 choices. If you only have the first 2 as choices, then call your service provider, in my case T-Mobile, and they will need to resend the service books. Once the service books were re-sent, the internet browser was on there as well. You will need to chose Internet Browser and then you will not get the error.

FYI, if you had bookmarks saved on your blackberry prior to getting the internet browser option, you will need to go back and edit each bookmark. When you go and edit it, change the very last option to Internet Browser and it should work.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
jawbrkr

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA4660
Cool

To resolve the missing *internet browser* option. You need to go to *options* then go to *advanced options*....scroll down to *host routing table* and click that. Once there you will see a list of numbers next to your carrier name. What you want to do is highlight the one that is in BOLD. Then click the BB(menu) button and then click *register now*. That will send you a message stating you are registered with the wireless network. Thats it. You should then go back and see your internet browser option.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yep, host routing table is the trick. However, it doesn't matter which one you select. It does the same thing.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
sherkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawbrkr View Post
To resolve the missing *internet browser* option. You need to go to *options* then go to *advanced options*....scroll down to *host routing table* and click that. Once there you will see a list of numbers next to your carrier name. What you want to do is highlight the one that is in BOLD. Then click the BB(menu) button and then click *register now*. That will send you a message stating you are registered with the wireless network. Thats it. You should then go back and see your internet browser option.
Hi everybody I'm new to the forums and as well as to blackberrys. This is my first ever blackberry 8320 and I just wanna say thanks jawbrkr I would have still been without the blackberry Internet Browser. It's weird I got my bb in the mail 10-16-07. which included the bb add on plain $20 bucks, so I figure it would take awhile, since it was just activated.

I even got the confirmed message, since 8-22-07, even though my bb haven't came yet. Then on 10-14-07 I got another message from bb registration. I even went to the T-Mobile store yesterday and the dude took a look a my bb, he made a phone call from the Tmo store and handed me the the store phone and said he had to call bb support, b/c only they can fix this problem, but I told him dude I'm gonna be late for work well some help he was lol. So the issue still wasn't fix. Finally read this thread and tried your instructions at least three times even change it once to another routing table, each time I would get the bb message now registered, well make a long story short I woke up this morning to think I would have to call bb support, so I check to see if I have the bb internet browser under Advance Options>browser yeap freakin' awesome dude thanks alot.

P.S. Why Tmo don't know about this fix?This is also my first time ever being with Tmo and btw I have found this same fix for older bb models from google.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
jawbrkr

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AA4660

No problem..always happy to help when I can. You have no idea how many times this forum has helped me.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Paradox9

Model: 7310

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawbrkr View Post
I tried the "register now" and I never get any message, nor does any new internet browser option become available. I am currently using the 'media net' profile and am on AT&T. Also in the Host Routing Tables there is nothing listed.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Paradox9; 03-27-2008 at 09:40 AM..
Old 04-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
djmonkey

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Doen't default mean default or preferred?

I have the same issue but I cant say for sure that it happens all the time.
I was hoping if you set the deault bowser to wifi and were not in a wifi area it would use edge.

Or if you choosed the regular browser as the default it would use the edge een if in a wifi area.

Is it supposed to switch automatically or what is the purpose of having a default if you need to go in and select a preference depending on the connectivity in the area you are in.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
TrippMyTrigger

Model: 8120
Carrier: Tmobile
Thumbs up I am starting to LOVE blackberry forums!

I am glad someone else had this issue and it didn't take all day to search for it. Since I got my 8120 (2 days ago) the only things I have done different are, set up @Home service, and tried to use the "desktop manager" (that is a whole other issue I have to search on). For the first couple of days I had "internet browser" anywhere I was while on Edge. Then all the sudden it opens up Tzones.

Jawbrkr, that was a very simple fix (and I am glad I didn't have to call Tmobile and get the run around from people who don't know yet). When in doubt, always go to blackberry forums first for technical help.

My only question now is, what causes it and why does it happen? Yes, I am a brand new BB newb.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: orange

hmmm I deleted orange world from my service book in order to access wi-fi networks (this seemed to be the only way to do this) and now wi-fi is the only available option for surfing. Will the host table trick sort this out for me? (I have no reception at the mo so don't know yet)
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, Registering the handheld again should push the service book back.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

when i go to host routing table there is no entries. i have selected register now and up pops "registration message sent" but nothing has happened. my only available browser is still the wi-fi one BUT and its a very big but.... i was still able to surf using gprs earlier but now I am now longer able to. i have backed up my contacts etc. How do I now wipe/reinstall the phone's OS so i can get all the browsers back again? thanks guys
Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Do you have a data plan? Usually the host routing table is empty if you have no data plan or if you have no data connection through the tower/network you are on.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

don't think I have a dataplan only a monthly allowance of 30 meg downloads via gprs a month. Not sure if that counts. I can still use wi-fi just not gprs and am not sure where the internet browser went. The only browser left is the wi-fi one. Do you think re-installing the os will sort this. (mr clark you seem like a helpful chap) any ideas cause I am reaching the end of my tether)
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

withnail69,

Nothing in the Host Routing Table either means you do not have a Blackberry data plan or your device has lowercase GPRS/EDGE.

Maybe try removing the battery with the device turned on to reset it and see if that clears up the issue.

Dave
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

what is the difference between lowercase and uppercase gprs? I have lowercase gprs
Closed Thread