Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
AhmedNYC1

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Zain-Sudan
Default HELP PLEEAASE BB Curve 8900

Please Login to Remove!

I have a blackberry curve 8900 and a password to enter the main menu screen. My keypad is not allowing me to enter my password. Instead of the usual astrisk**** showing as I punch in my password , I get the actual letters and numbers showing instead, and they get rejected. I have 7 attempts and I've already used 6 ofthem. I'm afraid that if I try one more time, all information would be erased as mentioned on the screen, and I have no idea what to do, PLEEAASE HELP. Thank You.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to the 8900 section.

Please do not take offense at this, but we see this sort of question from 1st time posters when they have found a BB and decide to try to use it rather than trying to return it to the rightful owner. If you are getting the numbers and letters on the screen, you are obviously not typing in the correct password. Not much we can do as this is one of the security features of the BB.

If this is the case, a found device, I suggest that you try to find the rightful owner.

You have 10 attempts before the device is erased. I hope that you have backed up the data somewhere.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
AhmedNYC1

Default r

Thank you for your reply, and i appreciate your honesty. Allow me to say that I might think the same way if I was in your place. But if you have checked where I'm posting from , then you would have realized that I am all the way in Sudan(East Africa), where BB service is not available. This is my phone that I brought with me from NYC(where I used to live). I've had this phone for a little less than a year andthis is the first time that this happens. Anyhow, thank you anyhow.
P.S. If I wanted to unlock this phone if it wasn't mine, i would simply pay $20 to any of the mobile phone store in NYC if I was there. The chances of finding someone's else's BB in Sudan are probably 1 in 10,000,000, Thanks again. No offense taken.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Are you trying to use an unlock code or trying to unlock with your password? Those are two very different things.

If you are trying to bypass the password, then it cannot be done, and certainly not by paying $20 to someone in NYC or wherever. Now if you are trying to use an unlock code to unlock the device so you can use on another network, then $20 might work. And then the 1 attempt left makes sense, bunt in that case it will render the device forever locked to the carrier it is locked to now.

What exactly are you trying to do?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
AhmedNYC1

I'm trying to unlock with my password. But the digits show on the password box instead of the usual asterisks **** showing. It shows the actual numbers and letters of my password, and the phone has rejected them 6 times already. It mentions that information will be erased on failure, and that is what I'm worried about. And I am not sure what exactly would be erased, so I don't want to take that chance and find out. I was hoping there is someone who might know how to solve this somehow. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
MsJavelin

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Hi, Im using Blackberry 8900 Javelin. I use WIFI but i cant seem to log into Messenger or Facebook.. It says "Service not enabled for this handheld" and as for facebook it shows "Cannot reach the Facebook server at this time. Please try again later.
The WIFI is switched on as i can browse the net.
Hope there is a solution to this. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
micutu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 25894c18
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJavelin View Post
Hi, Im using Blackberry 8900 Javelin. I use WIFI but i cant seem to log into Messenger or Facebook.. It says "Service not enabled for this handheld" and as for facebook it shows "Cannot reach the Facebook server at this time. Please try again later.
The WIFI is switched on as i can browse the net.
Hope there is a solution to this. Thanks.
You'll need a BlackBerry Data Plan for the blackberry yahoo messenger, facebook and twitter to work. Otherwise, I would suggest that you try different apps that support facebook/messenger/twitter. Before enabling BIS on mine, for messenger I used Nimbuzz (free), ubertwitter (also free) I don't use facebook so you'll have to figure what to use by yourself. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
ladyhawkhd

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedNYC1 View Post
I'm trying to unlock with my password. But the digits show on the password box instead of the usual asterisks **** showing. It shows the actual numbers and letters of my password, and the phone has rejected them 6 times already. It mentions that information will be erased on failure, and that is what I'm worried about. And I am not sure what exactly would be erased, so I don't want to take that chance and find out. I was hoping there is someone who might know how to solve this somehow. Thanks.
Sorry 2 tell ya but I think u r sol same thing happened 2 me and my 8900 was given 2 me by my son and of course no user manual. Wiped everything but my pics and my call log. Now I have all data backed up...learning the hard way lol
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
AhmedNYC1

Ouch, I really hope someone knows how to solve this problem because I definitely don't want to experience losing all my data. I have over half of it backed up, but recently, my computer has not been able to sync with my phone. I have over 1,300 contacts o the phone :(

Still waiting for a miracle on bbforums.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
MsJavelin

Carrier: Rogers
Default Problem logging in Social Networking sites using WIFI.

But I still dont understand why cant I use wifi to connect to these social networking sites? Thanks for the info. Will try other alternatives that you have suggested. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micutu View Post
You'll need a BlackBerry Data Plan for the blackberry yahoo messenger, facebook and twitter to work. Otherwise, I would suggest that you try different apps that support facebook/messenger/twitter. Before enabling BIS on mine, for messenger I used Nimbuzz (free), ubertwitter (also free) I don't use facebook so you'll have to figure what to use by yourself. Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

If you want to use the browser to logon to those sites, wi-fi is fine.
If you want to use the apps for those sites, you need a blackberry data plan.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
AhmedNYC1

Default Re: HELP PLEEAASE BB Curve 8900

Guess what people, I traveled back to NYC along with my BB along with my final attempt. I go to one of the mobile stores in NYC and explained my problem. They said that they couldn't help me, and that if I get this last attempt wrong, all my data will be lost. Anyhow,while I was still at the store, and after giving up, I went ahead and punched in my password for the 7th and final attempt, and guess what, MY PHONE UNLOCKED ITSELF, YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH BBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYY.
Don't ask me how and what happened, because I have no idea, all I know is that it worked and I didn't lose my 1500 plus contacts.
What's the first thing I did? That's right baby, I backed up those suckers.I've learned my lesson, shooot...

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thank you all for your feedback, and hopefully I WILL NOT be asking you for help regarding this same problem , HAHAHA,

Cheers everyone
Old 11-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
brkdncr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedNYC1 View Post
Guess what people, I traveled back to NYC along with my BB along with my final attempt. I go to one of the mobile stores in NYC and explained my problem. They said that they couldn't help me, and that if I get this last attempt wrong, all my data will be lost. Anyhow,while I was still at the store, and after giving up, I went ahead and punched in my password for the 7th and final attempt, and guess what, MY PHONE UNLOCKED ITSELF, YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH BBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYY.
Don't ask me how and what happened, because I have no idea, all I know is that it worked and I didn't lose my 1500 plus contacts.
What's the first thing I did? That's right baby, I backed up those suckers.I've learned my lesson, shooot...

Anyhow, I just wanted to say thank you all for your feedback, and hopefully I WILL NOT be asking you for help regarding this same problem , HAHAHA,

Cheers everyone
I'm replying to help out anyone that is in a similar situation.

If you put in the wrong password over and over, eventually you'll be asked to typed "blackberry" and eventually you'll be able to see the text rather than the ***'s. This is normal.

In the OP's case, on the 7th attempt he said that the device restarted and all his contacts were there. This is not normal. What likely happened was the device wiped, restarted and restored his contacts from a My Backup service or something similar provided by his service provider. Or he happened to key in the password right on the 7th time.

What Im' getting at is do not expect your content to be there after that last attempt. A wipe clears all user data on the device, and can be configured to wipe the removable memory card too.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
AhmedNYC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkdncr View Post
I'm replying to help out anyone that is in a similar situation.

If you put in the wrong password over and over, eventually you'll be asked to typed "blackberry" and eventually you'll be able to see the text rather than the ***'s. This is normal.

In the OP's case, on the 7th attempt he said that the device restarted and all his contacts were there. This is not normal. What likely happened was the device wiped, restarted and restored his contacts from a My Backup service or something similar provided by his service provider. Or he happened to key in the password right on the 7th time.

What Im' getting at is do not expect your content to be there after that last attempt. A wipe clears all user data on the device, and can be configured to wipe the removable memory card too.
That is exactly what happened to me. I had to type "blackberry" and for the password,I only saw text instead of the usual ****(Asterisks). Do you think that inserting my Sudan's sim cards to my US sim card upon arrival in NYC had something to do with it? Just a guess because I have no idea what happened.
And by the way, on that 7th and final attempt, I punched in my password and it appeared as text, and it was accepted
Closed Thread