Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
randrew20

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Wireless Sync compared to Desktop Redirector

Please Login to Remove!

Help…. I just switched from a Motorola Q to the Blackberry 8703e by Verizon. The blackberry itself is a much better device than the Motorola Q, but I am really missing the Wireless Sync that is provided by Verizon to sync emails to the Q. I do not have exchange server or a BES. I am currently using the desktop redirector to send emails from outlook to my new blackberry and have a few questions:

1.How do I set the redirector to only redirect the emails that end up in my inbox? I get about 1000 emails a day that forward to various folders. All I want forwarded to my blackberry is the main inbox, but currently the redirector is forwarding every email that I get. A little more info, I am using several POP3 accounts with outlook and have about 20 rules in outlook setup to divide the emails accordingly. I know that I can setup rules for the redirector, but since they are already setup in outlook I would rather not do the extra work.

2.The wireless sync would actually “sync” all my emails on both my Q and in outlook. For instance when I read something on the Q it would be marked as read in my outlook. I realize I can get this functionality with the BES, but that is not an option for me, is there any way to get the redirector to do this?

I find it hard to believe that Verizon would actually provide a better software product than RIM does to sync emails on a single user basis, but its looking that way right now. If that is the case does anyone know if I can use the wireless sync provided by Verizon with a blackberry?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It is hard to believe, because it isn't true. BES is much better. Because you won't use it, doesn't make it a lesser equipped application.

I think what you are needing is not possible otherwise. Someone on here may know a workaround, however.

Last edited by JSanders; 04-23-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
randrew20

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It is hard to believe, because it isn't true. BES is much better. Because you won't use it, doesn't make it a lesser equipped application.

I think what you are needing is not possible otherwise. Someone on here may know a workaround, however.
I agree, BES is probably much better than wireless sync, but its not free. The verizon wireless sync is provided free with a data plan by verizon. I could go out and spend the $1000 plus on BES or get one of the hosted services for $10-$25 a month but once again the basic simple wireless sync client is free and works great with the Windows email devices. I would class the wireless sync and the desktop redirector in the same catagory simply becasue they both are supposed to provide the same "single user" email sync at no additional cost to what you pay for your monthly service contract.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Regardless of what you feel are comparable products from the two companies you need BES for what you're looking for. There's a tradeoff no matter what you choose -- you just have to decide where you want to draw the line. Personally, I find hosted BES worth the added cost. YMMV.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-24-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Closed Thread