BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
BlisteredThumbs

Model: 8100T
Question Audible Air for Blackberry Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I am a long time subscriber to Audible and download the Wall Street Journal from my email every morning and listen to it on my iPod on the way into work. I noticed that Audible now has a beta version of their Audible Air software available that has been tested on the 8100, but can't seem to get it to install on my T-mobile Pearl. Every time I click the "Go to software" link to do an over the air installation I get a timeout error page on my browser. Has anyone been able to get it to install on their phone? I don't know if it is a problem with their site or a setting on my browser or BES that is blocking it. I am a Noob, so I can't post a link to their site but if you go to Audible and click "software" at the bottom of the page you will see a link for "Audible Air Beta for Java Phones". Let me know if anyone is able to get it to work. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
phidauex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US

Just to be helpful, here is the direct link to the Audible Air beta program:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/aud...seBVCookie=Yes

Its failing on download for me as well... I get the download SMS, it presents me with the download option, and when I click Download, it throws an error, "Download Failed", details being, "907 Invalid JAR"... Oh well. I suppose we can try again later.

peace,
sam
Old 01-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
BlisteredThumbs

Model: 8100T

Thanks, Sam. It looks like you got a little further than I did, so I must have an issue with my browser settings or BES policies. But hopefully someone will be able to get it to work. I think it will be a great way to get some content for my new phone.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
LJL

Default Audible Air - Newbie's comments....

New Fish here... Also, big fan of Audible and the iPod. Elated to hear of Audible Air. Here's my recent two emails back to Audible's tech team. Will post any follow-up info I get from them.

START MSG---------------------START MSG

9:36 a.m. follow-up.

(1) I uninstalled the AudibleAir and re-installed by navigating out to the link download.audible.com/audibleair/ota.htm (Audible OTA) through the MediaNet browser. Nice clean and fast download.

(2) Still can't seem to get the Audible Player buttons to work, nor find the Local Playlist, eventually getting the same "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointe rException" error message.

Any suggestions, let me know.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:22 AM
To: Audible
Subject: RE: Send SMS again

Sounds good. Here's a quick re-cap:

(1) Had trouble getting the link to work from the SMS -- but I think this may have more to do with my BB and the somewhat unreliable browser. In any event, copy-n-paste the link to the Media Net browser and the download worked fine.

(1) Downloaded the correct versions of the files ("_mp332_"). It seems the stored versions for iTunes are not the _mp332_ versions, so there may be some trouble with iTunes/iPod users.

(2) Transferred the files using Media Manager to "My BlackBerry/Media Card/blackberry/music/audible. I can see the files in Media Manager, but I cannot see them on the device when I navigate out to the folder.

(3) The AudibleAir login continues to give me the "Invalid account details" error when I try to login. Yes, I changed the first letter of my username to lowercase (had to copy-n-paste it in however, as it keeps changing to upper case).

(4) The buttons on my Audible Player don't work (# 3, etc.). Maybe it's b/c I don't have a file loaded? So, in using the BB menu controls I select Go To and My Library > Local Playlist. Presumably I'd use the jog dial to select, but it's unresponsive and I'm guessing it's not recognizing the *.aa files?

(5) Inevitably, as I navigate through the menu selections I always end up getting this error "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointe rException" and AudibleAir shuts down as I click "OK."

END MSG---------------------END MSG

Last edited by LJL; 03-12-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
jbartlettjr

Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having the same problem. I installed AudibleAir just fine, but am also getting the "invalid account details" error. I have raised this issue with T-Mobile, RIM, and Audible, and they all blame each other for the problem. Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
LJL

Default Blackberry Pearl - Audible Air

Here's a reply I received from Audible this afternoon (3/8/2007 4:00 p.m. EST):

We are still investigating the issue related to connection via Cingular network. As soon as we obtain/verify the right wireless settings for your device we will let you know. Also in couple of days we will release an updated version of Audible for Pearl that will let you activate the device via memory card and Desktop Manager. I will make sure you will be in the list of first users notified.

Thank you for your interest in Audible for RIM application.

I'll report back as soon as I hear more...

LJL

Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
billpena

Talking Worked for me ... here's how.

Hi All,

This is fantastic. It's definitely still rough around the edges (a 0.2 release, after all) but it shows great promise and it does work. I'm using it on my BB Pearl, T-Mobile.

First, for the account details error, you have to uncheck "Mask password" at login. That is all. As long as you have the right username and password (check the capitalization! if it's lowercase on your desktop, it should be lowercase on your Pearl) it should work.

Second, in order to download content, you have to explicitly allow connection in your BlackBerry options. Go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications, then choose "Edit Permissions" on the Audible application. Change "Connections" to "ALLOW" and save. Go back to Audible, and downloads should work.

NOTE: Disconnect from you desktop when downloading; otherwise, you get an exception "1 >= 1" and it closes.

Third, to put items on your media card, they have to be in the same folder AudibleAir uses (and, not to mention, Windows Media Player uses), which is "\Music\audible" NOT "\blackberry\music". You can actually move stuff there however you want, including with WMP, and it will work, but placing files outside this folder will fail.

Hope this helps! I'm very excited to see this coming along. Well done Audible!

Last edited by billpena; 03-26-2007 at 12:44 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
jbartlettjr

Did you ever get a notice about the new audibleair version? Also, does anyone know how to manually install audibleair? My OTA attempts aren't working.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
NutritionN
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMobile

Anyone have any feedback on whether AudibleAir is indeed working on the 8100 and 8800? I'm thinking about moving back to BB from WM, and having Audible available on a BlackBerry is a big factor for me. I listen to 3-4 audiobooks each month. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I downloaded the application for my Pearl on T-Mobile (using the latest Rogers OS). I just finished downloading their sampler and it plays just perfectly. I used the link that came from the SMS obtained from the URL earlier in the thread.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
NutritionN

Model: 8220
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIndy View Post
I downloaded the application for my Pearl on T-Mobile (using the latest Rogers OS). I just finished downloading their sampler and it plays just perfectly. I used the link that came from the SMS obtained from the URL earlier in the thread.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
elmaldonado
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Anyone having an issue with the Pearl 8130 and Audible?

I am getting an error when I try to download the AudibleAir application.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
vzw8130audible

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Audible Log-in

I can't get AudibleAir to work for my 8130 (Verizon Pearl). Anybody have luck here?

I've successfully downloaded the software, but during both login and the download of the free introductory content, my blackberry hangs up trying to connect to the AudibleAir server, and never successfully connects. Pretty frustrating, since I can't authenticate and play my local content (transferred via SD Memory Card).

Last edited by vzw8130audible; 12-18-2007 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Can't hurt....you might check permissions for the app, and do a battery pull.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
ValB626

Default Playing my audible books via the Orb player

I'd certainly rather be able to use audibleair on my VZW 8130. However, I can listen to my audiobooks more or less via the Orb (Orb) player by importing them as a playlist into the Orb interface, playing the part of the book on the orb player, logging into Orb on my BB browser, and then selecting the same book. There are buffering issues. And I may have unnecessary steps in here, but I'm listening to one now, no conversion required.

One (mostly unsat) solution...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #16
mauriehill

Model: 8830
Carrier: Vodafone New Zealand
Exclamation Audible on Blackberry

Be careful what you ask for!

I too was rapt to see that I could get Audible on my BB8830; and it took quite some patience to get it loaded up (I use Vodafone in New Zealand) and yes it works!

BUT - it slowed my BB down so much that I've had to remove the program. Just opening a regular eMail took 10-15 seconds where it used to be instant.

Good idea, but it needs to be better integrated somehow
Closed Thread