deefekshon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Can't Connect BlackBerry To PC

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys, it's my first post here.

I got my first BlackBerry this morning, I am absolutely loving it at the moment.

I decided I wanted to import my contacts from my Nokia N95 (Previous phone) and I was told the easiest way to do this was to connect the phone via Bluetooth or USB to the PC. This is where the problems started...

I have never used Bluetooth on the PC but I do have a dongle, so I assumed it would be straightforward so I tried to install Bluetooth drivers and things but it still doesn't seem to want to detect it. I am fairly good with computers but this really doesn't seem to want to go my way.

I figured, sod it, I'll just USB and wire it up each time I use it, (Not a big issue for me.) So I plugged the USB in and then went to device manager, which is set to USB. It doesn't seem to be picking it up at all?

I'm getting really frustrated, am I missing something obvious?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, I am also more than happy to provide you with more information if I can.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
novalovr66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 216b6c58
Carrier: AT$T

First off, congratulations on your new baby!

Some things you might want to add so others can help though, what OS are you running on your computer? What OS are you running on your Phone? Have you installed Desktop manager and what version is it. When posting on here you should try to be as specific as possible and give as many details as you can.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do you have Outlook on your PC?

The easiest way to transfer contacts is to sync with Outlook as that support is built into the BB. Outlook Express should also work for just contacts however.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
deefekshon

Hi there,
Thanks for your response.

Eventually I did the obvious, I was stupid for not doing it in the first place I know but here's what the problem seemed to be:

I had a Nokia N95 previously, this used the same kind of USB connection as the BB, so I didn't bother swapping the wires over. Eventually I did and it appeared this is where the problem lied.

Thanks for your help though!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

There is also a function in Desktop Manager that lets you copy info from one phone to another.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
deefekshon

Thanks for the responses guys.

It's giving me issues again, my first day of BlackBerry ownership has been extremely up/down.

I had to disconnect the phone as I popped out for a bit. It's now gone from connecting fine, (Once) to deciding not to detect the phone again.

I'm running MS XP with SP2, Desktop Manager from disc and Device Manager too.

The time when the phone actually worked I had USB-Something-Something show up in Device Manager. Now when I connect the phone it puts BLACKBERRY1 as I: in My Computer as well as J: being a Removable Disc (Memory Card.)

So the computer is clearly picking up the BB via USB, yet it doesn't seem to show any signs of it in Device Manager despite this being the exact same way I got it to work last time.

Frustrated! :(
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
novalovr66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 216b6c58
Carrier: AT$T

Have you tried a different USB port? Also, it should be connected directly to the computer and not through a hub. What version of DM are you using?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
deefekshon

Changed USB port again and the problem seems fixed (Again) for now.

Thanks!

How do I put the keypad on hold rather than doing it through the Menu? Any specific way?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
deefekshon

I'm really wondering if this phone is doomed from the beginning.

After posting this up, my phone then decided to not send messages, had about 5 stuck on 'Pending' then the backlights refused to work. Phoned Orange they re-sent me the operator settings and told me to take the battery out for 5 minutes.

5 minutes later I put it back in, now only half my menu is there, don't have my email addresses linked or anything. Great, I thought.

Then I took the battery out again and restarted again, all seems to be working perfectly now.. Bit bored of these scares though. :(
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
deefekshon

Right, it seems to of given up on the USB detecting again. I have about 8 ports on my PC and I have no idea if any are hubs or not. It does tell me 'this device can perform faster..' though.

It just seems strange how Windows has no problem detecting it but BB Desktop Manager seems to just refuse it.

I've got to head out but I'll try it all again tomorrow. :(

In the meantime, thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

What version of Desktop Manager are you using?

The best seem to be DM 4.2 SP2/SP3 or DM 4.5 and 4.6.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
hapishyguy

Carrier: Debranded Bold with TMobile

I had the same problem. I had Vista. So I uninstalled desktop manager from vista and installed in on other computer on xp. Works fine. So seems like it has problems with Vista.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Drakius.LiFE

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I use VISTA x64 and VISTA 32bit with DM v4.6 and DM v4.7, no problems whatsoever.

However, I just wish the BT Modem drivers are available in Vista x64.

However, if you are trying to connect your BB with the DM via Bluetooth, I believe you need to enable it on the Connection Manager.
You cannot use Blue Soleil or Widcomm Bluetooth drivers. If you are using Blue Soleil that comes bundled with some laptops as a Bluetooth connection manager, you will have to uninstall it and use Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

Last edited by Drakius.LiFE; 01-10-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #14
deefekshon

Hi guys, many thanks for your responses once again, this place seems to be brilliant for advice.

Dubdub: I am using DM Version 4.6.0.12 (May 22nd 2008 release)

hapishyguy: Thanks for the advice but I am on XP currently.

Drakius.LiFE: The information about the Blue Soleil and Widcomm drivers was exceptionally helpful. I am now trying to find a direct download to the Enumerator but so far have only been led to Microsoft Update.
Closed Thread