Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Nokia E71 - Anyone interested?

Please Login to Remove!

I was wondering if any of the handheld enthusiasts in this forum have been able to play with this guy yet? I know the screen and keyboard are on the smallish side, but it sounds pretty packed. What I don't know anything about is the email client.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
muck

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

i have one in possession at the moment.
fastest symbian based phone i have ever used, its smoother than my berry, in everything it does.
the keyboard is no where near as friendly as the blackberries.\
the symbian os is getting a bit boring tho. but as a device, it feels damn nice in the hand and shits on all RIMs offerings.

email, supports mfe. i have my blackberry for my email. i only have it polling a pop3 account, which is sufficient for what i need it to do, but i wouldnt be using this device if i was to rely on emails tho.

i wouldnt replace my blackberry for one, if i had to choose between the 2.

Last edited by muck; 07-30-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
bigdaddyjoe1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 242d9da3
Carrier: tmobile

does the screen have a protection for minor scraches ?? just a messed up question
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
i have one in possession at the moment.
fastest symbian based phone i have ever used, its smoother than my berry, in everything it does.
the keyboard is no where near as friendly as the blackberries.\
the symbian os is getting a bit boring tho. but as a device, it feels damn nice in the hand and shits on all RIMs offerings.

email, supports mfe. i have my blackberry for my email. i only have it polling a pop3 account, which is sufficient for what i need it to do, but i wouldnt be using this device if i was to rely on emails tho.

i wouldnt replace my blackberry for one, if i had to choose between the 2.
How's the web browser?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyjoe1 View Post
does the screen have a protection for minor scraches ?? just a messed up question
screen is glass so will be better than the average plastic lens. but over time i till have some surface scratches id assume
Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
How's the web browser?
id put the web browser in the same domain as the bb browser. it seems a lot faster than the bb browser tho. even over wifi the bb is quite sluggish compared to the e71.
install opera mini and its pretty much the same as opera mini for bb.

but i wouldnt be expecting iphone safari browsing from any phone out there atm.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

I have one in use from last 2 weeks and i am big fan of Symbion os nokias. good thing i like about it ths full browser with full wifi speed. BB has wifi but that does not boost any speed (significant).
Fone has everythin that i could ask for and best part i can watch all te videos from blueapple.mobi.
i am very impressed. No BB-Connect for this device yet tho. but if i order 3g speed from att then i dont need push email. I am planning to keep one for now. i am upgrading from smaller keyboard E51 to full keb E71
Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder View Post
I have one in use from last 2 weeks and i am big fan of Symbion os nokias. good thing i like about it ths full browser with full wifi speed. BB has wifi but that does not boost any speed (significant).
Fone has everythin that i could ask for and best part i can watch all te videos from blueapple.mobi.
i am very impressed. No BB-Connect for this device yet tho. but if i order 3g speed from att then i dont need push email. I am planning to keep one for now. i am upgrading from smaller keyboard E51 to full keb E71
What do you mean by that?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
joginder

Model: Passp

I talked to ATT and they can offer the downlink speed upto 732kb/sec so that that is good speed to check messages and connection can stay on all times and i may not care too much about push emails.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

This phone is packed and it's been out for over a month now here in Asia Pacific. While everyone's so excited about it, I am keeping my eyes on the BlackBerry Bold board. Nokia's own email service is called Intellisync. Still though, I wouldn't trade the trusted BlackBerry email service over this.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
benisntfunny
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 23FDBBE4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
id put the web browser in the same domain as the bb browser. it seems a lot faster than the bb browser tho. even over wifi the bb is quite sluggish compared to the e71.
install opera mini and its pretty much the same as opera mini for bb.

but i wouldnt be expecting iphone safari browsing from any phone out there atm.
You must be nuts Nokia's browser is leaps and bounds over Blackberries. Flash Support, AJAX and better CSS.

I've been using the e71 for about 3 weeks now. Prior to using this I had an 8310 and 8800, so for me this was a much faster phone in every respect than what I was used to. Especially having owned an e62 from AT&T before my blackberries.... this is the first Symbian phone I've used that isn't frustratingly slow.

So now that I've had it three weeks I'll say that I would probably buy it again - and it's a good alternative to blackberry.

Pros:
- Fast. Fast OS, Fast 3G, very awesome.
- Design, the keyboard took a little getting used to. It's smaller and shifted some from blackberry but I've got the hang of it and I'm back to typing as fast as I used to. Nokia has included a nice auto complete feature for words that comes in handy too. Plus the overall phone itself is made to be much much prettier than any blackberry offering.
- Battery life. It's amazing without 3g use. But even with 3G, Wifi, and everything else i can throw at it I still get a day's use start to finish on a charge with a little left over for the next day.
- Mail For Exchange. The only pro is that it supports it.
- Some nice apps available for S60, especially IM clients, Last.FM and stuff like Juiko Spot (turns your phone into a 3G Wifi Hub)
- Nokia's improved desktop software is very nice. Display caller ID on the screen when connected. Can connect through Bluetooth or USB.
- File structure can be browsed by a connected Bluetooth computer.
- Applications can be installed on the Memory card
- FM Tuner
- Very customizable home screen
- Hot keys galore
- great speaker phone

Cons:
- Email is just not as good as Blackberry. Nokia is going in a bunch of directions with their email and messaging software now. They need to find a common ground and stick to it. I'm currently running two different email programs offered by Nokia just to accomplish the same task. Get email. One is Mail for Exchange the other is Nokia Mail for my push mail. I'll admit I'm pretty used to the mail thing as a whole now and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to when I first go the phone.

- Text messaging is a joke. I can't believe it's not threaded yet. But it's not. I bought ThreadSMS for $15 and it fixes the problem, but I shouldn't have to do this.

- Symbian and Nokia are very eurocentric. A lot of good software is designed for europeans not americans. For example, the phone reads text messages, but the only voices available are British. Probably will be fixed with the e71x for AT&T though.

- No charging through USB. Annoying. Totally. I hate having to use this garbage little circle charger.

I'd say more but I gotta run. My ride for a road trip is here.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
halitcan

PIN: 2516344F
Carrier: Turkcell

If you use SEVEN push mail on Nokia E71 ,it's good at least Blackberry. (I am user both of E71 and BB 8800)
Old 01-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by halitcan View Post
If you use SEVEN push mail on Nokia E71 ,it's good at least Blackberry. (I am user both of E71 and BB 8800)
What was the point of bumping this thread?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
chris2k5

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I used one a friend has. Compared to my Bold:

-The build quality on E71 is A LOT better.
-Materials feel a lot more top notch
-Keyboard is not as good as Bold's
-The OS is a lot better usability and customization wise on E71.
-E71 has better call quality and reception too.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
-The OS is a lot better usability and customization wise on E71.
i hate the symbian os. its terrible. looks old. feels old. and just doesnt compete in terms of uptime. on the upside, when it does crash its faster to reboot.

no shortcut keys, huge ugly fonts making messages annoying to read.

i sold my e71, and replaced it with my 8820. at the end of the day, the bb is just more productive for me than the e71.
carrying 2 bb's around 9-5 is a bit of a pain in the ass the tho.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
fiffer

Carrier: Cingular

Nokia should really give their symbian os a huge make over. Sure the symbian os is easy to reboot once it crashes, but that's one of the major problems - it crashes! Nokia makes a lot of money making phones but they should get a reality check and improve their os. e71 is good although it is limited to just a few applications. Whereas BB has really been giving a lot of effort to have their phones more productive.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
monkeypaw

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiffer View Post
Nokia should really give their symbian os a huge make over. Sure the symbian os is easy to reboot once it crashes, but that's one of the major problems - it crashes! Nokia makes a lot of money making phones but they should get a reality check and improve their os. e71 is good although it is limited to just a few applications. Whereas BB has really been giving a lot of effort to have their phones more productive.
Always a dilemma with successful OS. A major revamp makes many 3rd party apps incompatible. But the OS gets stale.

Palm waited way too long. Nokia probably could get away with a big overhall. Their phone offerings are so huge they could introduce it on certain high end lines and still keep more basic/cheaper offerings on the old OS.

If I didn't have a BB, I'd definitely have a Nokia.
Closed Thread