Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Openmindedstudent
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Playbook internet

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so from my understanding the playbooks internet is the same as that of a pc because of flash. Does it work that way using the BB bridge? If so, I'm doing an online course this summer, I should be able to do it online through the BB bridge right?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
hack_mole

Model: 9700
Carrier: At&t
Default Re: Playbook internet

OK, you may not have recognized it, but you asked a whole bunch of questions here. I'll try to parse it out.

Is the playbook browser the "same" as a PC?
the "mythbuster" answer is no. PC web browsers have many more features

Does the playbook browser run flash?
Yes. many more websites work on Playbook than any other tablet.

Will it work with your course?
Don't know. Flash may be only one part. If they require other plug-ins like quicktime or real for video, then it might not work

BB Bridge is another story.

Bridge is for e-mail, tasks, notes and files on your phone. It's not really for internet. Having said that it depends if you are on a BES or not. Bridge generally does not give internet access, but if you are on a BES you could surf, but since you are a student, it seems you probably are not on a BES.

As for internet through your phone, your asking about tethering. Tethering costs extra the same as if you use the internet connection on any phone. The carriers have locked this down a lot more lately so you have to purchase additional data to tether to your phone. However, some carriers are working on a bit bucket type of plan where you buy a chunk of data and you use it any way you want, but don't look for it anytime soon.

Now lastly, many campus's have WiFi access and this would work with the playbook and if you have WiFi at home you wouldn't need access through your phone.

Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
mseguin42
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SII
Carrier: Telus

Correction hack_mole.

There is a browser in the BB Bridge even with BIS.

However, it seems most people report that it is very very slow (myself included). I don't use it unless I'm really desperate.

iPhone 5 v7.0.3 - Telus
PlayBook: 16GB v2.0.0.7971
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Further to that point, with the upgrade of the Playbook's OS and bridge, most report of a faster (I know not fast enough) browsing and quicker pairings with less hang time (Green Circle of Load Death)

I have been able to tether and bridge since the beginning without issue, but really WiFi is faster (Unless you are rocking a 4G connection). Since the upgrade though, I do find myself (where there is no coverage via WiFi) using bridge more and more, though if you really want to use it everywhere, I suggest a MiFi (mobile wifi connection) that way you would not need to worry about Bridge/tether. Though as hack_mole says, most post secondary schools have wifi access on school grounds.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 06-09-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Closed Thread