Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
JRawlinson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Problem regarding 9700 w/AT&T Visual Voicemail

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. Hope you are all easing into the 4-day weekend...

I'm having an issue with my AT&T Visual Voicemail.

When I retrieve a voicemail, the volume of the voicemail defaults to mute. Every time. I have to Riverdance the volume up key with my thumb. But I get there late and it's pretty darn annoying, as you can imagine. Even if I switch to speakerphone using the $ key, it's speakerphone mute. At least it seems to be.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this should be posted in the AT&T forum, please feel free to move if necessary, mods. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
JRawlinson

I'll bump this once and let it die if no responses. Thanks in advance all.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I had a similar problem and noticed that it was because, for whatever reason, my phone was trying to engage my bluetooth
Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
JRawlinson

Thanks a lot. I'll go check the settings on that. I don't own any bluetooth devices. Will advise.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
JRawlinson

Bluetooth settings did nothing, but on a lark, I did go to options -> phone options -> general options and looked around. Default call volume was set at 100%.

I switched it to 25%, exited and saved, hopped back in, changed it back to 100% and exited and saved again. It worked. I guess it needed to be reminded it was at 100%... :shrug: Thanks again for the reply, TonyTone.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Odd, but glad it's working for you now. Don't forget that pulling the battery out (while the device is on) and therefore forcing a reboot is usually the best advice when the phone just seems to be acting strange. Fixes most issues.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawlinson View Post
Bluetooth settings did nothing, but on a lark, I did go to options -> phone options -> general options and looked around. Default call volume was set at 100%.

I switched it to 25%, exited and saved, hopped back in, changed it back to 100% and exited and saved again. It worked. I guess it needed to be reminded it was at 100%... :shrug: Thanks again for the reply, TonyTone.
well - I'm glad it inspired you to take the successful route.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
YumSweetiePie

I'm still having this problem. Neither removing the battery nor going in and out of "options" worked for me. Would really appreciate it if anyone else had any thoughts to a solution.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
YumSweetiePie

Well well, while I was posting my SO was tinkering with my phone and figured out how to solve this problem. Figured I'd post the solution for anyone else having this issue.

1) Play a visual voicemail message (stay on that screen)
2) While in visual voicemail increase the volume using the keys on the right on the phone
3) Switch to speakerphone through the menu (if speakerphone was default in #2, switch to handset instead) and increase the volume to desired setting
4) Exit with the back key and that will save your volume preferences

Only by switching volume of both handset and speakerphone will the volume preferences be set and changed.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

I am on .545 and I now have an issue. I listened to a VVM using a headset and now every time I start VVM its in headset mode. I tried the idea below but no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumSweetiePie View Post
Well well, while I was posting my SO was tinkering with my phone and figured out how to solve this problem. Figured I'd post the solution for anyone else having this issue.

2) While in visual voicemail increase the volume using the keys on the right on the phone
3) Switch to speakerphone through the menu (if speakerphone was default in #2, switch to handset instead) and increase the volume to desired setting

Only by switching volume of both handset and speakerphone will the volume preferences be set and changed.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
RonFriedman

Carrier: at&t
Default VVM solution works

This worked. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumSweetiePie View Post

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #12
daoswald

Default VVM volume follows Media Player volume

I had the same issue others have mentioned here, with my 9700. I couldn't figure out why I could listen to a Visual Voicemail message (adjusting its volume to an appropriate level), then exit VVM, and upon reopening it find that I'm at the original (muted) volume again.

Finally through some experimentation I discovered the following: VVM volume is linked to the Media Player volume. So if I'm listening to music, and then mute the music... then exit out of Media Player, when I listen to a VVM message, it will be muted too. If, within Media Player, I set the volume to full-blast, when I listen to my VVM, it will be full volume too.

I hope this helps others. It really is a quirk that ought to be worked out. Who wants to have to adjust their voice mail volume every time the listen to the media player?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawlinson View Post
Hey everyone. Hope you are all easing into the 4-day weekend...

I'm having an issue with my AT&T Visual Voicemail.

When I retrieve a voicemail, the volume of the voicemail defaults to mute. Every time. I have to Riverdance the volume up key with my thumb. But I get there late and it's pretty darn annoying, as you can imagine. Even if I switch to speakerphone using the $ key, it's speakerphone mute. At least it seems to be.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this should be posted in the AT&T forum, please feel free to move if necessary, mods. Thanks.
Are you accidentally hitting the mute panel on the top right? There's no setting that I know of that would cause this.
Closed Thread