Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
flag8r77
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Exclamation Best gmail option?

Please Login to Remove!

What is the best option for me to get my gmail on my blackberry? Getting it forwarded or using the gmail app?

Also, what is the difference in setting up my gmail account under email setup on the phone or forwarding to my blackberry email account on the gmail webpage?
Thanks, using Tmobile.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
honza
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A04461
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi,

I am using the Gmail application.
It does not merge with my company emails.
I like it better.

Honza
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

use BIS to get it pushed to you.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag8r77 View Post
What is the best option for me to get my gmail on my blackberry? Getting it forwarded or using the gmail app?

Also, what is the difference in setting up my gmail account under email setup on the phone or forwarding to my blackberry email account on the gmail webpage?
Thanks, using Tmobile.
There are usually a couple variables that come into play. For some, it's a matter of preference and/or convenience. I prefer knowing when an email arrives, not finding that out when I get around to opening the Gmail app. If in fact the app notifies you of a new message, I'm not aware of it as I don't keep that app open in the background.

I use the Gmail app on my phone only when I need to look up an archived message, which I cannot do outside of that app.

Forwarding your email to your BB account creates, in my opinion, an unnecessary leg in the trip to your device. BIS will poll your Gmail and forward any new messages as they arrive, albeit slower than push but I think it's still more efficient than forwarding, forwarding....
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
BCollins521

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask...

Wirelessly posted

Yea the best way is use the email setup to have it just pull it from your gmail account. What you are going to want to do though is log into my.tmobile and set up a filter under communication tools on your gmail account to not forward any messgaes from you so when you send a email you don't get it in your bb inbox. Unless you want that

Get My Themes Here! | [email address] | Twitter
Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
There are usually a couple variables that come into play. For some, it's a matter of preference and/or convenience. I prefer knowing when an email arrives, not finding that out when I get around to opening the Gmail app. If in fact the app notifies you of a new message, I'm not aware of it as I don't keep that app open in the background.

I use the Gmail app on my phone only when I need to look up an archived message, which I cannot do outside of that app.

Forwarding your email to your BB account creates, in my opinion, an unnecessary leg in the trip to your device. BIS will poll your Gmail and forward any new messages as they arrive, albeit slower than push but I think it's still more efficient than forwarding, forwarding....
BIS will not poll gmail. Gmail has great integration with BIS and will be pushed to your BBerry nearly instantly.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
BIS will not poll gmail. Gmail has great integration with BIS and will be pushed to your BBerry nearly instantly.
{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery? I don't. And no, it's unlikely that it's my fault. I've deleted, re-created, massaged, and otherwise coerced my BIS accounts to no avail. Once in a while I'll get "JIT" delivery, but not very often.

I did not however, know that Gmail was so integrated with BIS that they could speak to each other without BIS asking Gmail; "Got anything for me?"
Old 06-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
tonj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
PIN: 245C5A4D
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery? I don't. And no, it's unlikely that it's my fault. I've deleted, re-created, massaged, and otherwise coerced my BIS accounts to no avail. Once in a while I'll get "JIT" delivery, but not very often.

I did not however, know that Gmail was so integrated with BIS that they could speak to each other without BIS asking Gmail; "Got anything for me?"

I agree.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I get instant gmail everytime through BIS I used to use my ISP mailbox but have recently changed to gmail as my priority email account just for that reason alone.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
jevid

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

I use Gmail via BIS and I get notified instantly, I would say 99% of the time. That said, I also have the Gmail app on my phone because sometimes it is handy. It comes down to preference. Try both methods and see what works for you.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
babsblackberry

Model: 8900
Carrier: Optus

Quote:

When you setup the account through BIS, did you choose IMAP or POP. Originally I setup my gmail account with IMAP and found that the emails were not being delivered instantly, once I changed the settings to pop, the emails were coming through immediately - 99% of the time.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Quote:

Gmail arrives nearly as quickly as BES email.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
Fate

PIN: 2071822A

I use the email feature that was loaded onto my blackberry from the factory to get my gmail emails. I have no problems and love that it actually tells me when I have an email.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #14
fftonyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
That's how I use my gmail and it works perfectly.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
curtst

Model: 8320

I get my gmail pushed to my BB. The problem with the gmail app is you can't attach files to it, otherwise I would probably use it instead.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

curtst why would you use that app instead? I am just curious
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I also use the BIS for Gmail, which comes in almost instantly...

I have always wondered why some people use the app...
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #18
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery?

[Cough, Cough] Yes I do. If its not instant, than its within 5 seconds the most.

The Gmail app is best used for searching for messages. Within the app you can search, star, archive, delete, move to different labels, and almost everything else you can do from your laptop.

The only thing that sucks from the Gmail BIS option is that all your emails are still unread when you log into gmail on your computer.

Last edited by Concept; 06-27-2008 at 01:23 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

i never even visit my gmail account anymore
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #20
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
i never even visit my gmail account anymore
My wife doesn't either. I don't think she reads most of her emails anyway. But every once in a while I'll log into her gmail account and mark all her emails as "read".

I log into my gmail almost daily. I send a lot of stuff from viigo and other links that I find online to my gmail account so I can view them properly. Until BB has a solid HTML email option, I will probably log into my account almost daily. I have empower but its really not worth it to view messages like that. I'm glad I only paid like $10 for it.