BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can anyone vouch for a headset adapter?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Curve with a 3.5mm jack and can't find a single headset I like that's compatible. Can anyone vouch for (and give me info...) on a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Everything I've found only works for stereo headsets - but I need it to work for voice+audio.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
bunky1971

Model: 8320
PIN: 242706aa or 204D4764
Carrier: T-Mobile 4.5.0.44

Wirelessly posted

Motorola S9 - clear stereo sound, clear voice, light AND let's surrounding noise in to keep you aware of surroundings
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up Seidio makes such an adapter

I ordered one of these and it works fine.

AUDIO ADAPTOR (3.5 MM MALE JACK TO 2.5 MM FEMALE ADAPTOR) - ADA-I35M25F
Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
olly666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
This says it's an just an audio adapter.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
*Note: This adapter is only compatible with a hands-free single earbud headset.
It looks like it will do both for a single bud headset.

Last edited by NickfromIL; 07-03-2008 at 01:23 PM..
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
olly666

Not sure I understand what that means. Would it work with this? Jabra C250 - BBerry
Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Did you try to use the stereo headset? It's great for a conversation, it's like surround sound.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
olly666

Quote:
Originally Posted by david9962000 View Post
Did you try to use the stereo headset? It's great for a conversation, it's like surround sound.
The stock one that comes with the device? I can't use those.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
tbphoto

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I'll second the Motorola S9 for wireless bluetooth stereo. For wired headset, I found that the Seidio adapter worked great.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
olly666

Just got off with cust support, it will work...
Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly666 View Post
I have a Curve with a 3.5mm jack and can't find a single headset I like that's compatible. Can anyone vouch for (and give me info...) on a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter?

Everything I've found only works for stereo headsets - but I need it to work for voice+audio.

Thanks.

I guess my expectations were too high...I stupidly figured that since they put a 3.5 mm jack on the phone, I could listen to music in stereo with a regular headset. I'm not worried about having hands free calling capability...just wanted to be able to plug in any headset to listen in stereo. But am I understanding that not only can I not plug in "any old" headset for stereo sound, but that even some/most headsets with phone capability won't work, either?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Dodge DeBoulet

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
I guess my expectations were too high...I stupidly figured that since they put a 3.5 mm jack on the phone, I could listen to music in stereo with a regular headset. I'm not worried about having hands free calling capability...just wanted to be able to plug in any headset to listen in stereo. But am I understanding that not only can I not plug in "any old" headset for stereo sound, but that even some/most headsets with phone capability won't work, either?
"Any old" headset will work fine for simply listening in stereo.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW View Post
Which end do you put in your ear?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Does anyone actually read the posts?

The OP is asking for an audio adapter (needs to plug a 2.5mm headset into a 3.5mm jack). A BT headset won't do that -- certainly not any of the ones I've seen so far.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
"Any old" headset will work fine for simply listening in stereo.
Thanks for the reply. I did try to plug in "any old" headset and it was only mono. It's definitely a stereo headset. I haven't really spent any time trying to figure out what's going on. But at least now I know it's supposed to work.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
drhink
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I've used both my Sony EX55 and Sure E2G earbud sets in my 8300 curve with no problems listening to stereo mp3s. Stereo seperation works just fine, but I wish the volume control had finer steps for level control, especially when using the Sure earbuds since they are ultra sensitive. When you say you are only getting "mono", do you mean only one channel (side), or do you mean you get sound from both L/R sides but not in stereo (no stereo separation)? I'm assuming you are referring to using it w/ the media player, since the phone sound will only be mono of course (but voice sound is sent to both L/R sides). And I also assume you've confirmed the mp3 or video file you are listening to is stereo on either a PC or other player. That confirmed, if you only are getting sound out of one side, and several "normal" headphones all exhibit this same problem in your Curve, you have a defective Curve.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
drhink
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly666 View Post

Thanks.
Back to the original question: If you need voice+audio, many iPhone headsets and adapters will also work on the Curve. If you already have a favorite stereo headset you really want to use, just do a web search for "iPhone headset adapter mic 3.5mm" and you'll find a bunch of aftermarket stuff. These adapters generally have a mic with an answer button along with a female 3.5mm jack for standard stereo headsets. If you want a stereo headset w/ built-in mic, just look at the myriad of iPhone headsets for a style that suits you.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhink View Post
I've used both my Sony EX55 and Sure E2G earbud sets in my 8300 curve with no problems listening to stereo mp3s. Stereo seperation works just fine, but I wish the volume control had finer steps for level control, especially when using the Sure earbuds since they are ultra sensitive. When you say you are only getting "mono", do you mean only one channel (side), or do you mean you get sound from both L/R sides but not in stereo (no stereo separation)? I'm assuming you are referring to using it w/ the media player, since the phone sound will only be mono of course (but voice sound is sent to both L/R sides). And I also assume you've confirmed the mp3 or video file you are listening to is stereo on either a PC or other player. That confirmed, if you only are getting sound out of one side, and several "normal" headphones all exhibit this same problem in your Curve, you have a defective Curve.
Thank you...I was using the stock player and MP3s that I know are stereo, and they were only playing through the left earpiece on my Sony headset. I'm worried it may be a defective Curve...my battery door button is pretty messed up, too. But it's a work device so I have a hard time going back and saying it ain't good enough for me. Had I bought it myself I would have exchanged it already for the button issue. Oh well...I'll experiment some more and hope it was just a fluke.

To the OP...sorry for the threadjack.
Closed Thread